• Total voters

Silva's right foot

Registered
Apr 30, 2014
Have an open mind guys give it a listen fellow City goers
1)
It only makes sense as pregame anthem
2)
FAST FWD TO 1 min...Instead of she got me yea yea yea CHANGE the words to New York CIIIIITTTTTYY
New York CIIIIITTTTTYYYYY
3)
Not because I'm a City fan but a variation of this would be perfect for us I mean we are New York CITY it would easily be the most intimidating chant in the MLS no doubt and it makes sense with our name ..

You might have a hard time selling:

NY, NY because it's difficult to chant. Crooning is based off of singing on the upbeat. That's pretty hard, especially for 1000+ people.

MCFC Chant: we have a very large non-MCFC fanbase. Many of the supporters will be opposed to using City chants. Especially our Man U supporters.

There are a fair few MCFC fans who are also opposed to NYCFC using MCFC songs, myself included. It's an important part of NYCFC forming its own identity. I could go for something like the "Come on City" chant because it's fairly generic, but not Blue Moon.

I'm split on "best team in the land and all the world" (video 3). It's generic, and yet somewhat recognisable as an MCFC song. But yeah, NYCFC should really look for its own songs.

You might have a hard time selling:

NY, NY because it's difficult to chant. Crooning is based off of singing on the upbeat. That's pretty hard, especially for 1000+ people.

I feel like it's gotta be NY, NY. It's literally perfect. If for example you listen to You'll never walk alone, its a similar song - slower and melodic but obviously works as a song to sing before the game.

Reactions: Johnny
New York, New York doesn't need to be a chant or a pregame song. We'll come up with something more original for that I believe and hope. Sinatra is going to be the post game victory song with actually music being played throughout the stadium. They do it for random soccer games and college football games still. I think it's a great nod to the city and to the stadium.

If we take a yankee tradition i guess its only fair to take a man city one as well.

It's also a New York tradition, and based on what the Yankees have done at every event whether the Yankees play or not, its a stadium tradition. It's a little different, but I understand your point.
To expand a little more on your point. NY, NY is part of the Yankees (brand) experience, a club tradition. The MCFC stuff is a Supporters experience, not part of the City (brand) experience.

I still hate that song though. Anytime I hear it at Yankees stadium it feels so contrived to the point of cringe-worthy....but there is a difference.

I just dont like NY NY because it's played all the time in reference to the city... not just the yanks. I dont see why "new york" should be in the song at all. YNWA one of the most iconic football songs... nothing to do with Liverpool or Glasgow... just a good song of encouragement. Crystal Palace belt I will always love you. I think picking NY NY is talking the easy way out of picking a song. Doesnt even have to be from a NY artist... most of the british supporters sing american songs now that i think about it...

I just dont like NY NY because it's played all the time in reference to the city... not just the yanks. I dont see why "new york" should be in the song at all. YNWA one of the most iconic football songs... nothing to do with Liverpool or Glasgow... just a good song of encouragement. Crystal Palace belt I will always love you. I think picking NY NY is talking the easy way out of picking a song. Doesnt even have to be from a NY artist... most of the british supporters sing american songs now that i think about it...

Actually, YNWA was popularized by Gerry & The Pacemakers, a band from Liverpool. I agree NY doesn't need to necessarily be in the song, but I believe something that has some inherent connection to the city whether through lyrics, artist, writer or circumstance will increase the profile and participation.

I think it's important to call upon civic pride, particularly when it's not possible to call on club history.

Since we're gonna be playing in Yankee Stadium, I'd imagine they'll just play it after the games. I think it would sound cool to sing before though.

Since we're gonna be playing in Yankee Stadium, I'd imagine they'll just play it after the games. I think it would sound cool to sing before though.

Almost definitely going to be played after games. I'm down for singing it from the stands still in a large group after a victory. That's all I've ever said about it.

Actually, YNWA was popularized by Gerry & The Pacemakers, a band from Liverpool. I agree NY doesn't need to necessarily be in the song, but I believe something that has some inherent connection to the city whether through lyrics, artist, writer or circumstance will increase the profile and participation.

I think it's important to call upon civic pride, particularly when it's not possible to call on club history.

Yeah I know it was, I just meant lyric wise it has nothing to do with it, and yeah the original song generally had nothing to do with the city. Since most british clubs sing songs that are American actually (like YNWA, I Will Always Love You, I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles) I was looking at foreign songs... lots of great music comes from Manchester so we could pick something like that instead of picking the yanks song. Or we can pick something from a great NY artist like Billy Joel or someone.

Random idea: wouldn't it be cool if each borough had their own cheer or chant that we did pregame as a roll call to show all 5 are together in the section

Random idea: wouldn't it be cool if each borough had their own cheer or chant that we did pregame as a roll call to show all 5 are together in the section

This is a great idea. The five boroughs of NYC make the city really unique. No other city in the world has the same geography.

I guess the bigger question is if we want to create our own sub-supporter groups by borough? I could see ideas for and against it.

Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten. From the Battery to the top of Manhattan!

Brooklyn, Bronx
Queens and Staten
From the Battery
to the top of Manhattan
New York :clap clap:
City :clap clap:

repeat until everyones hands hurt and throats hurt.

Reactions: Capt.Tsubasa
What about the people that aren't from one of the boroughs?

I'm not from the boroughs, but this is NYC team. 5 boroughs 1 city, so can't really go chanting for LI and Westchester and Jersey etc..