PSA: Live MTA Subway Map

moogoo

Registered
Elite Donor
Nov 8, 2017
NYC
I found out about this the other day and thought I would share for any who are interested. MTA has been developing a live subway map that shows locations of trains on each of the lines and attempts to make it easier to navigate the many, many service changes that apply. It is currently in beta, but it looks very promising. Hopefully, they can continue to improve this so that it can also allow for trip planning based on service changes with highlighted routes. I haven't fully explored the currently available features, but this is a hell of a lot better than the map of shame most new yorkers rely on.

It can also be added as a web app, which will create a stand alone icon/button on your phone, which will launch the web app (basically a bookmark).

Last edited:
I found out about this the other day and thought I would share for any who are interested. MTA has been developing a live subway map that shows locations of trains on each of the lines and attempts to make it easier to navigate the many, many service changes that apply. It is currently in beta, but it looks very promising. Hopefully, they can continue to improve this so that it can also allow for trip planning based on service changes with highlighted routes. I haven't fully explored the currently available features, but this is a hell of a lot better than the map of shame most new yorkers rely on.

It can also be added as a web app, which will create a stand alone icon/button on your phone, which will launch the web app (basically a bookmark).

i personally used the transit app before the pandemic hit. it was very good i think it uses the same info as this site. and you can put your most used train lines to get update on any issues ( which are normally is what you see on the mta twitter feed any way but its useful to me at least).

Reactions: Schwallacus
i personally used the transit app before the pandemic hit. it was very good i think it uses the same info as this site. and you can put your most used train lines to get update on any issues ( which are normally is what you see on the mta twitter feed any way but its useful to me at least).

I have used this before too and then just started using google Maps, cause it has similar info. I don't use the subway enough to have to rely on an app though. I'm sure this app and google get their data the same way. I'm wondering if the MTA app will be ... better in some way. In any case, it is fun to see the train shadows move along the lines :)

Reactions: Schwallacus