Race for CCL Spot 2019

Based on the Language in the CONCACAF Document, Have We Qualified For the 2019 CCL? - Moot Poll Now

• Yes - We Qualified

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • No - We Did Not Qualify

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Reactions: Shwafta
Updated after last night's match:

View attachment 8852

I feel much better about things now. The match last night put us 9 points clear of NJ and they only have a matching hand. We also have a 9 goal lead on GD and 2 more wins; so the tie breakers are in our favor as well. I'm still nervous about Portland, but they have to win all 3 one their matches in hand to get within a point of us; so let's see how their season continues to play out the rest of the way. As for this week:

WEDNESDAY 7/11:
MTL @ NYC 7:00

SATURDAY 7/14:
CLB @ NYC 7:00
SKC @ NJ 7:00
CHI @ DAL 8:00

SUNDAY 7/15:
SEA @ ATL 2:00
POR @ LAFC 6:00

We're the only team on the table with a double match week. 2 wins at home and an ATL loss and we'd top the table with a game in hand on ATL. NJ will have 2 games in hand on us by Sunday and Portland 4 games, we really want to rack up some points in this home stretch to keep them at a distance. This also could be Columbus' dagger in the heart with a loss to us on Saturday night (theoretically 13 points back & 13 games to play with us still having a game in hand).
My attempt at a summary: in the unlikely event we don't win the Shield or the Cup, we either want ATL to win or SKC to win the US Open Cup.

My attempt at a summary: in the unlikely event we don't win the Shield or the Cup, we either want ATL to win or SKC to win the US Open Cup.

Atlanta was eliminated by Chicago in USOC. They could win the MLS Cup if we don’t and we’d advance from 2nd place. But let’s try to win a spot outright, one way or another!

View attachment 8852

I feel much better about things now. The match last night put us 9 points clear of NJ and they only have a matching hand. We also have a 9 goal lead on GD and 2 more wins; so the tie breakers are in our favor as well. I'm still nervous about Portland, but they have to win all 3 one their matches in hand to get within a point of us; so let's see how their season continues to play out the rest of the way. As for this week:

WEDNESDAY 7/11:
MTL @ NYC 7:00

SATURDAY 7/14:

SUNDAY 7/15:

We're the only team on the table with a double match week. 2 wins at home and an ATL loss and we'd top the table with a game in hand on ATL. NJ will have 2 games in hand on us by Sunday and Portland 4 games, we really want to rack up some points in this home stretch to keep them at a distance. This also could be Columbus' dagger in the heart with a loss to us on Saturday night (theoretically 13 points back & 13 games to play with us still having a game in hand).

Screenshot 2018-07-12 16.37.11.png

WEDNESDAY 7/11:
MTL 0 @ NYC 3

SATURDAY 7/14:

SUNDAY 7/15:

Have you always done your schedule in a messed up way?

I do it how I talk, in American baby!

giphy.gif

SKC has a good chance against NJ, strictly because of their weird transition period now. However, NJ's home record is promising for them. Hoping for an SKC victory. (1 point behind with a game in hand is a good situation to be in, and it puts NJ behind us as well.)

As for ATLvSEA, I think ATL is gonna rip them apart. Hoping for a SEA win somehow, though.

Reactions: adam

View attachment 8881

WEDNESDAY 7/11:
MTL 0 @ NYC 3

SATURDAY 7/14:

SUNDAY 7/15:

Lots of movement on the table after yesterday's results:

Screenshot 2018-07-15 09.23.28.png

WEDNESDAY 7/11:
MTL 0 @ NYC 3

SATURDAY 7/14:
CLB 0 @ NYC 2
SKC 2 @ NJ 3
CHI 1 @ DAL 3

SUNDAY 7/15:

As I predicted was possible, Columbus now sits 13 points back with 13 matches to play. And we've averaged .3 points more per match than they have over 2 seasons. I can't see them making up a point a game on us from here on out. Also, NJ jumped them on the table with their come from behind home win over SKC. They are 12 points back of us, but with 2 matches in hand. I'm not counting them out in the slightest, but we do have some breathing room thanks to last week's win. Dallas also jumped Portland, and are in a slightly better position than Columbus with a game in hand on us, but also 13 points back. Even if we give them the win, 10 points back with 14 to play is a hard climb uphill. Portland is at the bottom of the table but has 5 MATCHES IN HAND on us. How does that happen? They didn't even play in the CCL. MLS scheduling is nuts! They do have one of those matches tonight vs LAFC, a loss there and 16 points back with 4 matches in hand. They basically need to win every one of those 5 extra matches just to get within striking distance. And last but not least, we overtook Atlanta!!!! We are tied on matches played and now 2 points up on that, with an extra win for tie braking purposes. They need a win at home vs Seattle to overtake us tonight and even then we'd be 1 point back with a match in hand. This 3-0 homestand week had really put us in a great position in regards to CCL qualifying. Let's home the results continue to fall our way tonight.

*side note: remember all the haters talking about our terrible defense in our 1st 2 seasons. We're allowing 1.24 goals a game the last 2 years! And have allowed 2 goals at home all season this year!

Some pretty good results for us tonight. Leaves Atlanta 1 point back and we still have a game in hand. Also, they dropped home points. And Portland's draw means they'd now need to win all 4 matches in hand only to be 3 points back of us. This is quickly turing into a 2 horse race where we currently hold the advantage in both points and wins.

Screenshot 2018-07-15 21.15.12.png

This week's matchups: (NYC is off)

SATURDAY 7/21:
DC @ ATL 3:30
NE @ NJ 7:00
ORL @ CLB 7:30
DAL @ HOU 9:00
MTL @ POR 11:00

After some USOC & Canadian Championship matches, there's a nice slate of MLS games, but NYC has the week off. The Wayne Rooneys come to ATL where they just drew against a dreadful Seattle team. Maybe their home troubles can continue... NE travels to NJ, assume NJ wins because that's just what they do and it annoys the hell out of me. The tire fire called Orlando travels to Columbus where Greg Berhalter will hope to rebound from his loss versus us, but like I said, I can't see them catching us in the CCL at this point. Dallas goes to Houston for a good ol' fashioned Texas Derby! Houston is a hard place to play at, so we may see Dallas drop some points. And then a dreadful Montreal team goes across the continent to Portland. As mentioned, Portland needs to will all of their remaining games in hand just to get close to us, so this is a must win for them. And a probable one at that.

Speaking of the Canadian Championship, do you know what Toronto FC’s needs to do to get a CCL berth? Win 2 knockout series, one against the Ottawa Fury and then another against Vancouver/Montreal. Yup, to get a CCL berth Toronto needs to win one series against a MLS team.

I know different countries different rules for qualification...but it just doesn’t seem right for an MLS team to have to basically be the best over 2 years to win a spot compared to that “arduous” road that Toronto has to also win a spot. Yeesh.

Speaking of the Canadian Championship, do you know what Toronto FC’s needs to do to get a CCL berth? Win 2 knockout series, one against the Ottawa Fury and then another against Vancouver/Montreal. Yup, to get a CCL berth Toronto needs to win one series against a MLS team.

I know different countries different rules for qualification...but it just doesn’t seem right for an MLS team to have to basically be the best over 2 years to win a spot compared to that “arduous” road that Toronto has to also win a spot. Yeesh.
They have a very easy run to it - the Canadian championship has like 4 real teams: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton. And typically Edmonton is a pushover as is one or both of Montreal/Vancouver.

When people say 2017 Toronto was the best ever MLS side, I agree regarding the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup, but their Canadian championship, while real, is a mirage in the big picture. If any team this year beats Toronto’s 2017 point total, and wins both the Supporters Shield & MLS Cup, then I’d say they’re the best MLS side ever, even if they don’t secure the US Open Cup as a treble.

but how is that different than the USOC qualification? (excluding, of course, the fact that Canada has way worse teams)

but how is that different than the USOC qualification? (excluding, of course, the fact that Canada has way worse teams)
It’s a smaller competition which translates to a shorter/easier qualification. They could be the worst team in the Supporters Shield standings and still qualify as the Canadian entrant with a few wins in their Cup.

Reactions: Kjbert
It can go both ways for the Canadian teams. All 3 Canadian MLS franchises can be poor, and 1 will still get a CCL berth. On the other hand, if 2 Canadian franchises are around the top of the standings, only 1 will get a CCL berth with the other one staying home - even if that other one ends up winning the league.