Report: Beckham Considering Abandoning Miami For Chivas

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
So this is interesting: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sourc...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Basically, Beckham's already had two stadiums rejected in the Miami area (we know that feel, bro) and is back to square 1 when it comes to getting a stadium in place, which he has to have before the MLS team is even assigned a starting date. So now he's considering changing his deal to buy Chivas USA in Los Angeles.

I feel like this is likely. This isn't like NYCFC v. NY where potential subsidies are being argued; Beckham has offered to pay for the stadium. If Miami isn't cooperating (which is as a result of political residue from the disaster that is Marlins Park and its bond funding). Why put up with that nonsense when you can get in the Los Angeles area (with 2 billion + dollar team sales in the past year and a half alone) with a stadium already?

Assuming it happens, it changes things for the makeup of the conference. We'd have:

EAST: (13)
NYCFC
NER
New York "Drink Amp"
Philadelphia Union
Columbus Crew
Orlando SC
Toronto FC
DC United
SKC
Houston
Atlanta (2017)
Chicago Fire
Montreal

WEST:(9)
LA Galaxy
Chivas Reborn
San Jose
Seattle
Portland
RSL
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Vancouver

Likely both SKC and Houston will be heading to the West to even things out. However, where it gets interesting is additional expansions. Previously we assumed Miami would be in the East and the 24th team would be in the West. If Beckham leaves, Miami isn't getting an MLS franchise. Minnesota is putting together a bid and with two spots would be a favorite. The other expansion spots like Sacramento would likely be in the West.

So this affects NYCFC in that likely in the future we'll be having trips to East Conference rivals in Minneapolis as opposed to Miami.

Reactions: einwindir
It would be terrible if it happens. A David Beckham Miami club will be an asset to MLS, not just anyone can make Miami work.

Meanwhile, any deep pocket owner willing to splash a little cash will make a strong, strong Galaxy rival in LA.

Ok, but those reports don't actually contradict the Yahoo report. Read the wording carefully; these guys have lawyers/PR types and they're good at making something sound like they're saying x when they're not (I know; I'm a lawyer).

MLS words: "There is currently no discussion with David Beckham regarding potential ownership of Chivas USA," said an MLS spokesperson."

yahoo didn't say that. Yahoo said the discussion was within Beckham's camp.

"I don't know where [the Yahoo] came from," MLS president Mark Abbott told The Miami Herald on Friday. "There's no discussion about that right now. The league is not engaged in this conversation with them about Chivas."

Again, the league's denial is about the contact between MLS and Beckham, not whether Beckham is considering this.

Beckham words: "Miami is our preferred choice and we are working hard to give the people of the city what they want and deserve," a spokesman for the Beckham group told The Miami Herald in a statement, "however, we have always said that there are other cities that would welcome an MLS club owned by David and his partners."

That sounds ominous for Miami.

Looks like Beckham is going to try to lord the possibility of a Chivas takeover over Miami pols to get cooperation.

I think there is also a preference for warm weather cities, seems like ultimately the calendar will change to match the international calendar and a balance of cold and warm weather cities would allow the scheduling to work during the winter.

I think there is also a preference for warm weather cities, seems like ultimately the calendar will change to match the international calendar and a balance of cold and warm weather cities would allow the scheduling to work during the winter.
Actually Garber was just quoted last month saying they have no intention of changing the calendar any time soon.

Actually Garber was just quoted last month saying they have no intention of changing the calendar any time soon.
as in this season or next, it will change, its on the docket every year and isnt going anywhere, if you listen to him, he says if they can figure it out they will do it.

i want to see beckham make a club in Boston, not just new england, but in the Boston City Limits.

They need a stadium. Kraft would move the team somewhere, but it's obvious that he is done investing in the club. NER fans are fed up with ownership. He should sell to Fenway Sports Group...

They need a stadium. Kraft would move the team somewhere, but it's obvious that he is done investing in the club. NER fans are fed up with ownership. He should sell to Fenway Sports Group...

Another club that plays in red, just what the world (and MLS) needs. ;)

The issue of a stadium would follow Chivas as well, they need a stadium somewhere else..

The issue of a stadium would follow Chivas as well, they need a stadium somewhere else..

Not necessarily. That's supposed to be a great stadium. If they stay in LA, I don't think that's necessary.

If they rebranded in San Diego, that's another story.

as in this season or next, it will change, its on the docket every year and isnt going anywhere, if you listen to him, he says if they can figure it out they will do it.
Garber is on record as saying switching to a winter calendar is virtually "impossible" in the USA and Canada for the foreseeable future.

Not necessarily. That's supposed to be a great stadium. If they stay in LA, I don't think that's necessary.

If they rebranded in San Diego, that's another story.
If and when Chivas USA got bought out by a new group, getting into a new stadium situation outside the shadow of the Galaxy will be a world of good for them.

StubHub is great, but not so great for the 2nd class tenants.

Have you seen this about USC and a new soccer stadium?
http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/02/exposition-park-soccer-stadium-or-amphitheatre
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/coll...c-takes-control-los-angeles-memorial-coliseum
Screen%20shot%202010-11-19%20at%203.02.32%20AM.png