Rumor: Pirlo Linked With A Move To Palmeiras

View attachment 3435

Does no one else find the crop/edit of the Orlando Sentinel is a bit odd? You can't completely read the text of any of the surrounding headlines or teasers, but the one immediately to the right seems to be about the SCOTUS decision on Arizona's immigration law and its impact in a presidential election year. That was in 2011-12.

The SCOTUS/immigration article points to page A17. I looked in the Sentinel's Lexis archive and found an article titled "Justices tackle immigration High court ruling on Arizona law may influence 2012 vote" that appeared on p. A17 on December 13, 2011. That's a day after the court granted cert.

This is a photoshop. You're welcome

http://www.dailynews.com/government...a-immigration-law-dismantled-by-supreme-court

Still seems to be an issue...

Because our team is much more popular than the red team and so it helps their click count a lot moreso than all five red bull fans getting off of Seeing Red and checking the blog.

Also because their team hasn't signed a player of Pirlo's stature since Henry so they are a bit low on big headline material at this moment.

Reactions: BxLio91
View attachment 3435

Does no one else find the crop/edit of the Orlando Sentinel teaser a bit odd? You can't completely read the text of any of the surrounding headlines or teasers, but the one immediately to the right seems to be about the SCOTUS decision on Arizona's immigration law and its impact in a presidential election year. That was in 2011-12.

The SCOTUS/immigration article points to page A17. I looked in the Sentinel's Lexis archive and found an article titled "Justices tackle immigration High court ruling on Arizona law may influence 2012 vote" that appeared on p. A17 on December 13, 2011. That's a day after the court granted cert.

This is a photoshop. You're welcome

Awesome job. Also, the weather doesn't match. Too cold for early October in Orlando.

I assume you're not being serious? If you are, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you're across the pond, but no, you're wrong.

First of all, the Sentinel would be reporting news 3 months late. While print media may have fallen behind digitial, I don't believe it's that far behind. Second, from what you can read in the teaser, it anticipates a Supreme Court ruling on the merits, it's not anticipating whether they will take the case or not (certiorari).

Moreover, the no bail law that was struck down (which was passed by voter referendum) and which the proponents of were trying to get the the Supreme Court to take in May/June 2015 in the article you linked, is unlike the prior petition (and eventual decision from SCOTUS) on the omnibus immigration bill (SB 1070) which could be spoken of in grand terms about "defining the limits of state and federal authority." SB 1070 was struck down as unconstitutional because, among other reasons, the law was preempted by federal immigration law. The no bail law was struck down by the 9th Cir on due process/equal protection grounds because of who it applied to/didn't apply to.

You'd have to give a pretty contorted reading of the Sentinel image to try to believe it's current, particularly given that there are no articles in print on immigration in the Sentinel recently, and there is an exact match with the teaser to an older article.

Oh and according to weather underground, there was a high of 75 and a low of 62 which more or less corresponds to the Sentinel.

Why am I even still thinking about this

I assume you're not being serious? If you are, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you're across the pond, but no, you're wrong.

First of all, the Sentinel would be reporting news 3 months late. While print media may have fallen behind digitial, I don't believe it's that far behind. Second, from what you can read in the teaser, it anticipates a Supreme Court ruling on the merits, it's not anticipating whether they will take the case or not (certiorari).

Moreover, the no bail law that was struck down (which was passed by voter referendum) and which the proponents of were trying to get the the Supreme Court to take in May/June 2015 in the article you linked, is unlike the prior petition (and eventual decision from SCOTUS) on the omnibus immigration bill (SB 1070) which could be spoken of in grand terms about "defining the limits of state and federal authority." SB 1070 was struck down as unconstitutional because, among other reasons, the law was preempted by federal immigration law. The no bail law was struck down by the 9th Cir on due process/equal protection grounds because of who it applied to/didn't apply to.

You'd have to give a pretty contorted reading of the Sentinel image to try to believe it's current, particularly given that there are no articles in print on immigration in the Sentinel recently, and there is an exact match with the teaser to an older article.

Oh and according to weather underground, there was a high of 75 and a low of 62 which more or less corresponds to the Sentinel.

Why am I even still thinking about this

I was on my phone at the time; that article was just the most quotable. There are other articles much more recent relating to that story, such as this:

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2015/10/06/groups-plan-appeal-of-ruling-on-arizona-immigration-law/

Anyway, I'm just trying to argue that I find it hard to believe that it's a photoshop - there is just no point in making a photoshop for that story when rumours are easy enough to spread without one. I believe there is quite possibly some truth to the story that Palmeiras actually want to sign Pirlo, and that (somehow) the Sentinel got hold of the story before anyone else. And I also think that Palmeiras have precisely zero chance of signing him and that Pirlo would not be in the slightest bit interested. It's like that Ronaldo to Orlando story - there is probably actual intention from the buying club, but the idea of it actually happening is laughable.

Anyway, I'm just trying to argue that I find it hard to believe that it's a photoshop

Ok, so the following are all coincidences then:

12074889_703593649785049_5634362143372685952_n.jpg

1) As I already pointed out, the Arizona immigration law/SCOTUS teaser points to p. A17. You can't read the entire teaser headline ("Supreme Court to we[...]/Arizona immigration") but if I had to guess, it says something like "Supreme Court to weigh in on Arizona immigration law" or something to that effect. Lo and behold, on 12/13/2011, a day after SCOTUS granted cert on SB 1070, there was an article in the Sentinel titled: "Justices tackle immigration High court ruling on Arizona law may influence 2012 vote." On p. A17.

2) There was also an article on 12/13/2011 on p. A1 in the Sentinel titled: "1ST TO WIN TOP COMMUNITY COLLEGE HONOR Valencia: NATION'S BEST." This corresponds to the largest headline at the bottom of the image which is cut off, but which you can mostly read and compare.

3) In the bottom right hand corner of the image, you can make out "St Johns [...]/district e[...]" There is an article in the Sentinel on 12/13/2011 appearing on p. A1 with the headline: "St. Johns district eyes new ethics guidelines." Again, coincidence!

4) There is no mention of St Johns, community college, or Pirlo in any recent edition of the Sentinel archives (on their website, or on Lexis) that would make that newspaper image seem credible. Despite the fact that anything and everything else in their paper is easy to locate in both archives. They must just have forgotten to upload every article in this particular edition.

And somebody who is a graphic designer can explain better why the typeface leading and image quality of the print related to Pirlo does not look correct when compared with the rest of the newspaper typeface. Not to mention the Pirlo image looks off.

I believe there is quite possibly some truth to the story that Palmeiras actually want to sign Pirlo, and that (somehow) the Sentinel got hold of the story before anyone else.

If you actually read what is in that Sentinel excerpt, you will see that they are sourcing it to "an Italian report." So they didn't get their hands on it before anyone else. As to whether it's an actual rumor, sure there may very well be "an Italian report" that is independent of and has nothing to do with the Orlando Sentinel. But that wasn't really what I was discussing in my post.

Short of finding the actual Sentinal front page image from 12/13/2011, I don't know what else would convince you. Oh wait, I just did find it son:

orlando-sentinel-featured-story-e1332181915790-1024x641.jpg

Because unsurprisingly, Valencia Community College wanted to tout the honor on their website.

Last edited:

View attachment 3441

1) As I already pointed out, the Arizona immigration law/SCOTUS teaser points to p. A17. You can't read the entire teaser headline ("Supreme Court to we[...]/Arizona immigration") but if I had to guess, it says something like "Supreme Court to weigh in on Arizona immigration law" or something to that effect. Lo and behold, on 12/13/2011, a day after SCOTUS granted cert on SB 1070, there was an article in the Sentinel titled: "Justices tackle immigration High court ruling on Arizona law may influence 2012 vote." On p. A17.

2) There was also an article on 12/13/2011 on p. A1 in the Sentinel titled: "1ST TO WIN TOP COMMUNITY COLLEGE HONOR Valencia: NATION'S BEST." This corresponds to the largest headline at the bottom of the image which is cut off, but which you can mostly read and compare.

3) In the bottom right hand corner of the image, you can make out "St Johns [...]/district e[...]" There is an article in the Sentinel on 12/13/2011 appearing on p. A1 with the headline: "St. Johns district eyes new ethics guidelines." Again, coincidence!

4) There is no mention of St Johns, community college, or Pirlo in any recent edition of the Sentinel archives (on their website, or on Lexis) that would make that newspaper image seem credible. Despite the fact that anything and everything else in their paper is easy to locate in both archives. They must just have forgotten to upload every article in this particular edition.

And somebody who is a graphic designer can explain better why the typeface leading and image quality of the print related to Pirlo does not look correct when compared with the rest of the newspaper typeface. Not to mention the Pirlo image looks off.

If you actually read what is in that Sentinel excerpt, you will see that they are sourcing it to "an Italian report." So they didn't get their hands on it before anyone else. As to whether it's an actual rumor, sure there may very well be "an Italian report" that is independent of and has nothing to do with the Orlando Sentinel. But that wasn't really what I was discussing in my post.

Short of finding the actual Sentinal front page image from 12/13/2011, I don't know what else would convince you. Oh wait, I just did find it son:

View attachment 3442

Because unsurprisingly, Valencia Community College wanted to tout the honor on their website.

I mean, let's also not overlook how absolutely bonkers it would be for an Orlando paper to feature transfer rumors re: an Italian player on a New York club being linked to Brazil and Europe. The day that kind of stuff is going on will be the days when the salary cap is $50 million, and even then seems unlikely as sports coverage headlines on a front page are there to sell papers. Since NYers aren't buying the Sentinel anyway,...

Reactions: Paul and danger

View attachment 3441

View attachment 3442

Alright, alright, alright, it's a photoshop. I withdraw my comment. You win.

Reactions: danger