Season Average Attendance Predictions

Homer

Registered
May 8, 2014
What do you guys think will be our average attendance in our fist season?

The capacity at Yankee Stadium is officially listed as 33,444, but I'm sure it can be expanded should it be necessary

I'm going with 25,000 avg. Which puts us as second behind the Sounders.

Expansion teams usually do well in their inagural season and the fact that we have Villa and possibly another star or two makes me believe we can get some really solid numbers.

That's not an unrealistic number at all. I always felt it would be between 20-25K depending on what DP's are on the roster. Villa was a step in the right direction and I'm sure the organization is planning on making another splash to get that headline grabber on the roster.

Reactions: Homer
I'd imagine game 1 and 2 will be sellouts. If City (I'm trying to make it work!) performs well we'll continue to have a higher than average turnout. Season Ticket holder seats will more than likely stay filled throughout the season. Hopefully we surpass the 3000 by then!

I've got a feeling if we go the the 'no capo' route the Supporters Section will take a couple games to get their feet wet. [Inb4 this is not a knock against the TR philosophy at all, realistically it will take some time for the ss and surrounding areas to get a feel for the atmosphere and learn the songs, since there won't be a traditional American AO style atnosphere].

Of course the bigger the names we attract the better the turnout will be. Overall though I think our inaugural season will be above average.

My worry will come from season two and beyond. Will we perform well enough to keep casual fans interested? How can we get "glory hunters" to have more than a Championship Game interest?

Reactions: Homer
I am absolutely disappointed of the answer of the NYCFC Fan Services to my question about the capacity of the YS for the NYCFC games ( 33,444 or 27.000 ). The answer has been 27k with the possibilty to increase the capacity when needed.
Is it possible for the THIRD RAIL group to have a OFFICIAL INFORMATION from the club about the capacity of the Yankee Stadium during the NYCFC games ( 27k or 33.444k ) ? I think that is enough important. Thank you.

Last edited:
i want all the games to be at least 15 thousand. but realistically, its gonn be like 5 thousand on regular games, and like 10 thousand on derby days. When the team starts winning, attendance will be up. Fans want to support a winning team

I'd say 15-20K. I think the issue is it's a non-football (soccer) stadium, this is a turn-off to many. It's different when an international team comes for one game and it draws the casual fans as well. I also believe the team would be a bigger draw if the stadium was in Flushing. I believe this because, no offense to any other borough, but Queens is the football central. Also, the 7 train and LIRR makes traveling that much easier for most.

i live in queens and the kids here dont care about it. some do, im trying to get people onto it, but they just have no intrest. hell kids here dont even consider themselves part of the city. keep the SSS in the bronx. it'll catch on once the team starts winning

how can people in howard beach get to a SSS in flushing? or maybe Little Neck or Whitestone?

Reactions: Section1Guy
I'd say 15-20K. I think the issue is it's a non-football (soccer) stadium, this is a turn-off to many. It's different when an international team comes for one game and it draws the casual fans as well. I also believe the team would be a bigger draw if the stadium was in Flushing. I believe this because, no offense to any other borough, but Queens is the football central. Also, the 7 train and LIRR makes traveling that much easier for most.
i live in queens and the kids here dont care about it. some do, im trying to get people onto it, but they just have no intrest. hell kids here dont even consider themselves part of the city. keep the SSS in the bronx. it'll catch on once the team starts winning
how can people in howard beach get to a SSS in flushing? or maybe Little Neck or Whitestone?

Flushing has it's perks just as Bronx. In Flushing you have the LIE which is direct from Montauk all the way to Manhattan. Whitestone Expy and Van Wyck provides direct service from Bronx to Howard Beach. LIRR service which connects from Penn Station all the way out to various points in Nassau. And of course the 7line which provides direct service to Times Sq. Multiple highways which will provide a number of routes to alleviate bottlenecking the Deegan.

Flushing isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Then of course you have central, southern and western Queens which is filled with soccer fans. CP, where you live, not so much.

B
Flushing has it's perks just as Bronx. In Flushing you have the LIE which is direct from Montauk all the way to Manhattan. Whitestone Expy and Van Wyck provides direct service from Bronx to Howard Beach. LIRR service which connects from Penn Station all the way out to various points in Nassau. And of course the 7line which provides direct service to Times Sq. Multiple highways which will provide a number of routes to alleviate bottlenecking the Deegan.

Flushing isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Then of course you have central, southern and western Queens which is filled with soccer fans. CP, where you live, not so much.
ut more lines in the bronx. Would u rather go to a met game or yankee? Id rather go to a yankee

10,000. And that is being generous.
i want all the games to be at least 15 thousand. but realistically, its gonn be like 5 thousand on regular games, and like 10 thousand on derby days. When the team starts winning, attendance will be up. Fans want to support a winning team
I'm not sure if you are actually interested in NYCFC or just trolling. But if that is actually what happens expect NYCFC to fold in a year. No way MLS allows that to happen, that would be a travesty.

If Columbus Ohio or Foxboro Massachusetts can average around 15k, NYCFC better be pulling north of 20k.

I'm not sure if you are actually interested in NYCFC or just trolling. But if that is actually what happens expect NYCFC to fold in a year. No way MLS allows that to happen, that would be a travesty.

If Columbus Ohio or Foxboro Massachusetts can average around 15k, NYCFC better be pulling north of 20k.
I hope so

Does anyone know which MLS teams have the biggest away fan attendance? OR which teams attract the most fans?
I remember when the Nets were still playing in the Meadowlands, tickets would sell out when the Jordannaires would be in town.

I'm gonna guess hosting Seattle (ie, Dempsey) would sell more tickets?

What does my prediction for attendence have to do with my interest in the club?

This is a new club in a city with not a lot of soccer interest, and there already is a local club. It is hard to draw people to games consistently. I would be surprised if 10,000 in the city even know about NYCFC. Getting that many people to the game on average will be tough. I could see lots of people going for a game to have the experience, but thats not enough to fill 15,000 seats every week.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
What does my prediction for attendence have to do with my interest in the club?

This is a new club in a city with not a lot of soccer interest, and there already is a local club. It is hard to draw people to games consistently. I would be surprised if 10,000 in the city even know about NYCFC. Getting that many people to the game on average will be tough. I could see lots of people going for a game to have the experience, but thats not enough to fill 15,000 seats every week.
considering only one team in the league, chivas, averages less than 10K , i dont think 10K is generous at all but rather low. SJ averages about 10K but their arena only holds 10,500. Average should be about 18-20k

Reactions: MagnusPax
Sincerely I don't realize this incredible pessimism about the average attendance for the first season of the NYCFC !!! I think that after the arrival of Villa and with low prices of the season tickets to have an average attendance to south of 25k should be a great disappointment. Maybe somebody forgets that this will be the first NYC team in MLS and that NYC has 8,4 million of inhabitants........
I hope that at least the Third Rail group has more enthusiasm and optimism than the other fans.

The Third Rail is how many members?

How many season tickets have been sold so far?

I haven't seen any evidence that we are going to draw a big crowd. Its still early so maybe support picks up, I certainly hope so. Until then, I don't see us having great attendance, although I am not well versed in what is considered high or low attendance for soccer. My feeling is 10,000.

Until then you guys can get all defensive and label me a pessimist or a troll or whatever. Personally, I am not going to get worked up over predictions, we will know soon enough.