Speculation: Long Island Rough Riders to USL?

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
This may be grasping for straws, but thought I would share. Someone on Reddit found some job postings on the USL website for the Long Island Rough Riders: http://uslsoccer.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Communications?supcat=4042

This may be significant because the Rough Riders play in the PDL. And while the PDL is connected with the USL, this is apparently the first time PDL job posting have appeared on the USL page.

This is probably nothing, but regardless, elevating the Long Island Rough Riders to USL could make some sense.

i dont know....maybe? i mean why have a marketing person to work many hours if you are not going to making a bunch of video/ marketing content.

unless PDL is going to really blowup with content and wanted to reach out to as man people as possible. seems like they want to have something similar to all the content nycfc does with their videos ( behind the scnes, training, interviews, other celebrities coming to games etc).

although it mentions possible coaching with youth teams so maybe nothing? i mean i assume pdl teams are understaffed.

Assuming that the LIRR moves to the USL I wonder which team cosmos fans will follow when that team finds itself without a league.

Though to be fair I suspect that cosmos will eventually wind up in the USL instead of the LIRR.

Reactions: Kjbert
Assuming that the LIRR moves to the USL I wonder which team cosmos fans will follow when that team finds itself without a league.

Though to be fair I suspect that cosmos will eventually wind up in the USL instead of the LIRR.

Isn't USL also single entity so they would lose all their marketing control?

Isn't USL also single entity so they would lose all their marketing control?

I'm 99% sure it's not single entity. I feel like I should know this by now, but there's not a ton of info out there. For one thing, USL teams own their own trademarks. MLS teams' trademarks are owned by Major League Soccer.

I'm 99% sure it's not single entity. I feel like I should know this by now, but there's not a ton of info out there. For one thing, USL teams own their own trademarks. MLS teams' trademarks are owned by Major League Soccer.

We'll find out for sure when NASL teams jump ship to USL

Maybe LIRR is trying to beat the Cosmos to the punch

Hey guys

An update to the above referenced story from our own Christian Araos:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/rough-riders-to-expand-nycfc-partnership-but-remain-in-pdl-54541/
I don't know how much this deal really benefits us. Any college player on the Rough Rider's PDL team would need to be drafted in SuperDraft which is still not a sure thing and I would imagine that there's a reason why the article said we are giving technical assistance and not control.

TBH, we don't need anything more than affiliation until we actually have college-age prospects and need to take direct technical control in order to keep HGP status.

I don't know how much this deal really benefits us. Any college player on the Rough Rider's PDL team would need to be drafted in SuperDraft which is still not a sure thing and I would imagine that there's a reason why the article said we are giving technical assistance and not control.

TBH, we don't need anything more than affiliation until we actually have college-age prospects and need to take direct technical control in order to keep HGP status.
It helps in relationship building for a future possibility of taking over this club and turning it into a U-23 club for example.

Reactions: Goodfella

But could a college age player on the team "earn" HG status so that we could simply tap them up rather than draft them? Perhaps a player that never was living within in the NYCFC sphere but is now of college age and spending it on LI outside of school? There are lots of areas in the country not within the areas of an academy - so could this be a way to become a late academy addition to our org?

It helps in relationship building for a future possibility of taking over this club and turning it into a U-23 club for example.

Does that really make sense with a training facility in Rockland?

But could a college age player on the team "earn" HG status so that we could simply tap them up rather than draft them? Perhaps a player that never was living within in the NYCFC sphere but is now of college age and spending it on LI outside of school? There are lots of areas in the country not within the areas of an academy - so could this be a way to become a late academy addition to our org?

You cannot earn homegrown status in college. You need to earn it before hand and then you can maintain through participating on a PDL team under a team's direct technical control.

You cannot earn homegrown status in college. You need to earn it before hand and then you can maintain through participating on a PDL team under a team's direct technical control.
Ah, ok. Thanks.

Does that really make sense with a training facility in Rockland?

The training facility is for the first team.

I have a feeling we will have multiple academy training spots around the metro area. Westchester/Fairfield, Rockland County, New York City and Long Island.

The training facility is for the first team.

I have a feeling we will have multiple academy training spots around the metro area. Westchester/Fairfield, Rockland County, New York City and Long Island.
Sure but a pdl and usl team should be treated different than our academy teams. The academy teams can get away with going up to the first team training facility every so often but the pdl and usl teams are going to going have players that are going to be considered for roster spots. They should be training with the first team.

I think ideally they would training with the first but maybe playing somewhere else. I guess it would be very strategic to have a team on Long Island if we had an LIRR acessible stadium in Queens.

Sure but a pdl and usl team should be treated different than our academy teams. The academy teams can get away with going up to the first team training facility every so often but the pdl and usl teams are going to going have players that are going to be considered for roster spots. They should be training with the first team.

I think ideally they would training with the first but maybe playing somewhere else. I guess it would be very strategic to have a team on Long Island if we had an LIRR acessible stadium in Queens.
And that was just one hypothetical example. The underlying point is they formed a relationship because the club sees value in it fir any number of reasons. We are speculating it is academy related which I would venture is a good bet.

Is that really practical? I feel like having an MLS team, and a USL team, and a PDL team all training together is too many players for the first team coaching staff to effectively oversee and evaluate, even if they have the USL/PDL coaching staff there to run the actual exercises.

I know that my only experience is European football, and maybe this kind of mass training already happens in US football and I just don't appreciate it, but in European football if the manager wants to check out some of his youth players he'd never invite more than 6-10 at a time to join first team training. Even on preseason tours, when the whole team travels away for 2-3 weeks with players then want to evaluate, they wouldn't take more than a dozen youths and triallists.

I feel like if you have a USL team and a PDL team then the way to do it is to train them separately and periodically send a quarter of the squad off to spend a week with the seniors, rather than have all three squads together all the time.

Last edited: