Lafc Astroturfing A Supporters Group

Well, yeah, if the club isn't straight-forward about the SG being officially backed by the club itself that opens the door for blowback.

Listening to one of the owners (can't remember his name) speak about taking his family to a Portland Timbers game and just being blown the hell away by the crowd, this was probably his idea, because he really wants to recreate that feeling for his team.

It was probably with the best intentions, just poorly executed. Though if the club is willing to finance the SG, pay for tifos, ect. but still allow the group to have almost complete autonomy would that really be so bad?

It's not with good intentions when they have a dedicated SG (the Black Army) that has been trying to meet with the FO from day 1 and yet the team would rather ignore them and create another group with a "vetted" leader.

It's not with good intentions when they have a dedicated SG (the Black Army) that has been trying to meet with the FO from day 1 and yet the team would rather ignore them and create another group with a "vetted" leader.
I don't know anything about the black army besides they used to be Chivas USA's supporter group so perhaps management didn't want any association with that and/or maybe there's elements of the Black Army the club feels doesn't represent what they want the club, or SG at least, to represent?

I don't know anything about the black army besides they used to be Chivas USA's supporter group so perhaps management didn't want any association with that and/or maybe there's elements of the Black Army the club feels doesn't represent what they want the club, or SG at least, to represent?

Ok, but can you see why people might take offense to a club deciding to create an "official" supporters group called LA Originals, which would be under club control. All the while ignoring the fact that they already have a supporters group of real LA originals who are so dedicated that they continued going to Chivas games until the bitter end, even when they were about the only people left in the stadium. Who dedicated themselves to LAII long before this ownership group was announced. And who have announced their intentions to attend every LA Galaxy game to root for the visiting team until their own club is ready to play.

That's the kind of rabid support that LAFC should be going all out to assist and cultivate, but instead they would rather have a whitewashed supporters group that they've vetted. It's a heartless corporate move, which is why they're being compared to our beloved overlords.

I don't think clubs have much interest in controlling supporter culture. I mean, issues like English chants v. south American drums, who's in charge, etc. doesn't much bother club. The club wants them loud and wants them to make a prescence. both that's about it.

However, I do think that clubs in MLS prefer ONE supporter's group, even if that SG is an umbrella for different types. If you have split groups, they tend to cancel each other out (a problem RB has, among others). Chivas also had different supporters groups. So yeah, LAFC probably is going to try to exert some pressure to create if not one SG then a strong unity between the groups.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I don't think clubs have much interest in controlling supporter culture. I mean, issues like English chants v. south American drums, who's in charge, etc. doesn't much bother club. The club wants them loud and wants them to make a prescence. both that's about it.

However, I do think that clubs in MLS prefer ONE supporter's group, even if that SG is an umbrella for different types. If you have split groups, they tend to cancel each other out (a problem RB has, among others). Chivas also had different supporters groups. So yeah, LAFC probably is going to try to exert some pressure to create if not one SG then a strong unity between the groups.

Again that all would make sense, but here is a case where a new club had an extremely loud and dedicated core supporters group fall into their lap and have chosen to ignore that group's requests for a meeting and instead have taken steps to set up a club controlled (though they would never admit that) supporters group. If all they wanted was a loud supporters group and didn't care about controlling it then wouldn't the easier and more sensible option be to make the supporters group that they already have the official umbrella group?