Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
they wont fill it. only in playoffs and perhaps a RB game. thats kinda it. Of course if there are international friendlies then it will fill up most likely.

The team is averaging 18,000 at Yankee Stadium right now -- I think they would be back into the low-20s, at the least, in a new stadium. They will get a new stadium bump the first year in the new stadium and probably come close to selling out every game as people check out the new digs, and they'll hopefully settle in the low-mid 20s when all is said and done as long as the team remains entertaining and of high quality.

Attendance of, say, 22,000/game in a 26,000 seat stadium would be pretty great.

i know. that's why i said i understand why. but i am sad that is the case. this is NYC ffs... then again.. perhaps it is because it is NYC
Maybe it's oranges to tangerines but MSG sure sounded great the last few weeks with 18.2K. Even 26K for us is going to be filled with empties. 18-22K out of 26K for us would be awesome, especially in a compact SSS. Maybe we get 25K in the playoffs or when 38 year old Messi and Miami come to town.

Maybe it's oranges to tangerines but MSG sure sounded great the last few weeks with 18.2K. Even 26K for us is going to be filled with empties. 18-22K out of 26K for us would be awesome, especially in a compact SSS. Maybe we get 25K in the playoffs or when 38 year old Messi and Miami come to town.
yea i'm not worried about how it will sound. just a little sad that a stadium in NYC can't fill 30k seats. but it is what it is. atmosphere should be fantastic with low 20k

Reactions: JayH
I'm a little sad the proposal is for a 26k stadium and not at least 30k. understand why and sad because of it.
Would rather a packed stadium with less seats than a half empty one. Wait to see what happens in Nashville in a few years. They won’t be filling 30k seats I promise

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Also just out of curiosity there seems like a lot of hoops to jump through with this site because of

1. Amtrak - would need federal clearance
2. MTA because of metro north
3. CSX because of private tracks
4. NY state because it’s on the water
5. NYC….because it’s the city

maybe I’m overthinking this?

Reactions: Kjbert
Soup, there it is!

Great reporting, Chris. As usual.

I had to look up RXR Realty (I know Related well, but RXR is a new one for me). The founder and CEO, Scott Rechler, sits on the MTA board. He's also the current chair of the Regional Plan Association and a former vice-chair of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A real heavy hitter.

Speaking of Related, are they in this deal too, SoupInNYC SoupInNYC ? They weren't mentioned specifically this time around.

By the way, neat tidbit on Somerset: they're affiliated with Venezia FC in Serie A. Which probably means absolutely nothing, other than Venezia is the best pizza place here in the town where I live in Upstate New York and is the only place around where you can get a true Brooklyn slice. :pizza: :wineglass:

Also just out of curiosity there seems like a lot of hoops to jump through with this site because of

1. Amtrak - would need federal clearance
2. MTA because of metro north
3. CSX because of private tracks
4. NY state because it’s on the water
5. NYC….because it’s the city

maybe I’m overthinking this?
I'm not sure Amtrak uses those tracks. I know at least the tracks from Penn Station heading up the corridor don't. I don't know if Metro North does either, but haven't seen any mention of them (or Amtrak) anywhere.

CSX does have tracks there and have an exclusive right of way that has restrictions related to activity adjacent to the track, but if they cap it and build on top of it, I don't think that really factors in at all.

NY State comes into play not because it's on the water, but because the property is owned by NYS DOT. NYC would have to sign off as there would be some zoning changes.

Going to go back and look through some additional documents to confirm my notes on Amtrak and Metro North above, but I haven't seen them mentioned previously.

ETA: I went through the first twenty pages of the lease between NYS DOT and Harlem River Yards Ventures and saw no mention of Amtrack, MTA, Metro North. The lease document isn't text searchable, so I wasn't able to do any searches the way. It did mention Conrail (which was acquired and now referred to as CSX) and their exclusive rights. I can't completely confirm there is nothing on Amtrak or Metro North, but I feel fairly confident saying that they don't come into play, or at least from an approvals standpoint. Especially if the rails remain fully functional, which is the plan.

Last edited:

I had to look up RXR Realty (I know Related well, but RXR is a new one for me). The founder and CEO, Scott Rechler, sits on the MTA board. He's also the current chair of the Regional Plan Association and a former vice-chair of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A real heavy hitter.

Speaking of Related, are they in this deal too, SoupInNYC SoupInNYC ? They weren't mentioned specifically this time around.

By the way, neat tidbit on Somerset: they're affiliated with Venezia FC in Serie A. Which probably means absolutely nothing, other than Venezia is the best pizza place here in the town where I live in Upstate New York and is the only place around where you can get a true Brooklyn slice. :pizza: :wineglass:
Related is still involved as a partner in this. The documentation I had just referred to HRYVI being approached by Somerset and Citi (lol) Football Group, nothing about Related.

I've been trying to get a hold of Scott's brother Todd now for several weeks and he hasn't been calling me back, haha.

Another tidbit would be that AKRF was retained to help with the Environmental Impact Statement. Some of their notable projects?
  • Atlantic Yards / Pacific Park (Barclays Center)
  • USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
  • UBS Arena & Belmont Park
  • New Yankee Stadium; AND
  • Etihad City Football Academy in Orangetown
  • Also, many other large, complicated projects

Related is still involved as a partner in this. The documentation I had just referred to HRYVI being approached by Somerset and Citi (lol) Football Group, nothing about Related.

I've been trying to get a hold of Scott's brother Todd now for several weeks and he hasn't been calling me back, haha.

Another tidbit would be that AKRF was retained to help with the Environmental Impact Statement. Some of their notable projects?
  • Atlantic Yards / Pacific Park (Barclays Center)
  • USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
  • UBS Arena & Belmont Park
  • New Yankee Stadium; AND
  • Etihad City Football Academy in Orangetown
  • Also, many other large, complicated projects
Okay, now I'm officially excited. Great job, Soups.

I'm not sure Amtrak uses those tracks. I know at least the tracks from Penn Station heading up the corridor don't. I don't know if Metro North does either, but haven't seen any mention of them (or Amtrak) anywhere.

CSX does have tracks there and have an exclusive right of way that has restrictions related to activity adjacent to the track, but if they cap it and build on top of it, I don't think that really factors in at all.

NY State comes into play not because it's on the water, but because the property is owned by NYS DOT. NYC would have to sign off as there would be some zoning changes.

Going to go back and look through some additional documents to confirm my notes on Amtrak and Metro North above, but I haven't seen them mentioned previously.

ETA: I went through the first twenty pages of the lease between NYS DOT and Harlem River Yards Ventures and saw no mention of Amtrack, MTA, Metro North. The lease document isn't text searchable, so I wasn't able to do any searches the way. It did mention Conrail (which was acquired and now referred to as CSX) and their exclusive rights. I can't completely confirm there is nothing on Amtrak or Metro North, but I feel fairly confident saying that they don't come into play, or at least from an approvals standpoint. Especially if the rails remain fully functional, which is the plan.

A few minor points:

EDS is a State agency and this is State land. I suspect that efforts will be made to work with the City, but the State could bypass City zoning laws and requirements (County of Monroe v. City of Rochester). This is a significant benefit to this site over others that have been discussed. If push comes to shove, the State can shove.

Similarly, Amtrak is a for-profit corporation of which the Federal government is a primary shareholder. Any agreements that Amtrak might have (if any) for access should allow for easier negotiation as it is not a Federal agency or property that would be subject to such negotiation.

I obviously do not have the details of all the myriad agreements and plans, but, generally, the State is not subject to City zoning. For our selfish purposes, better to have the State involved to cut through one level of administration and possible (likely) NIMBYism.

giphy.gif

It's been a rough go for me these last few weeks, but man I'm feeling good now. Obviously, nothing is done until the signatures are on the papers and the ink is dry (please use Sharpies, they dry right away). But this sure looks good. Just the boost I needed. If nothing else, we at least know the organization is serious about getting it done.

And I suddenly feel like I'm not so far from home after all.

RXR has done a ton of stuff in Westchester and is the master planner for a lot of the very cool improvements in my hometown of New Rochelle. I think they are good hands to be in.

The team is averaging 18,000 at Yankee Stadium right now -- I think they would be back into the low-20s, at the least, in a new stadium. They will get a new stadium bump the first year in the new stadium and probably come close to selling out every game as people check out the new digs, and they'll hopefully settle in the low-mid 20s when all is said and done as long as the team remains entertaining and of high quality.

Attendance of, say, 22,000/game in a 26,000 seat stadium would be pretty great.

I honestly do not believe they have had 10,000 fans in seats for any YS game this year. No chance, no how. The Citi Field games have been far better attended in my view, but even they haven't appeared to be 18,000.

Reactions: Kjbert