Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Imagine it's the end of August beginning of September.

The Mets are playing for a playoff spot, NYCFC is playing New Jersey, and the US Open is in the final rounds.

And you're on a local 7 train heading back into Manhattan.

My guess, for purely a traffic management purpose, is that there will be weeks/days we can't host games. It wouldn't surprise me if our schedule had to fit in around the Mets schedule; the only difference being that we wouldn't need 3 days before and after games for changeovers. Maybe we could play a 1pm or 3pm game on the same day as a 7pm Mets game, but I'd be surprised if we played at the same time as the Mets in this arrangement. Especially when the US Open is in town.

My guess, for purely a traffic management purpose, is that there will be weeks/days we can't host games. It wouldn't surprise me if our schedule had to fit in around the Mets schedule; the only difference being that we wouldn't need 3 days before and after games for changeovers. Maybe we could play a 1pm or 3pm game on the same day as a 7pm Mets game, but I'd be surprised if we played at the same time as the Mets in this arrangement. Especially when the US Open is in town.

Makes sense, I'd like to see how other cities manage these types of multi-stadium areas, obviously NYC is a bit different but from a purely scheduling point of view there has to be some decent lessons already learned elsewhere.

Some char siu bao, mooncake, pineapple bun and cream bun. Hell, forget tailgating. I'll organize a walking tour of my favorite stops in downtown flushing before the match. Who's in?

View attachment 12195View attachment 12196
View attachment 12198
View attachment 12199

giphy.gif

During the US Open, tennis fans park next to Citi Field when the Mets are not playing. If the Mets are playing, tennis fans park on fields in the park on the other side of the tennis center and take shuttle buses.

The location of a stadium in Willets may be better served by some of the lots farther from Citi Field - like the ones by the marina or under the Whitestone Expressway. We also don't know what else is being built nearby that may offer parking or if some of the areas between Willets and the water might also be developed for parking.

Oh man gets even more complicated….can’t take metronorth to Queens

recently moved out of the city to Ulster County…..hopefully it’s something to push the Bronx site to get done….
The drive down to Citi from Westchester is a piece of cake, though.

The drive from where I am in southern Westchester is fine. A little longer than from Yankee Stadium, but doable. To be fair, I have not encountered any problems on the Whitestone Bridge, which can be terrible when they happen.

I've also taken the train into GCS and then the 7 to Citi Field. It's a hike, but not intolerable.

The Mets are playing for a playoff spot, NYCFC is playing New Jersey, and the US Open is in the final rounds.

You’re always welcome to stick around after and play in a pitch and put tournament, where the course is open till 11 and there’s a guy on a golf cart riding around selling beers. Just till the traffic subsides of course.

Unlike in the Bronx, the Citi Field station usually has several 7 express trains stacked up and waiting after Mets games.

LOL, your guess would be incorrect. They often have Mets and US Open at the same time; there’s no coordination. Which is annoying as it gets pretty crowded. To be fair though the Open is only two weeks, but still.

Unlike in the Bronx, the Citi Field station usually has several 7 express trains stacked up and waiting after Mets games.

LOL, your guess would be incorrect. They often have Mets and US Open at the same time; there’s no coordination. Which is annoying as it gets pretty crowded. To be fair though the Open is only two weeks, but still.
Two weeks is too long for the Mets to go on a road trip, and the Open can't take breaks. Might be easier for us to avoid all that.

Reactions: JayH

It's a 2-week tournament so they don't really have a choice. They have a choice when it comes to NYCFC vs Mets games. I wouldn't be surprised if we were always on the road during the US Open, and I still think we'd probably not have games at the same time as the Mets. We could do a 7pm on the same day as a 1pm Mets game, but if they play a weekend at 7, I doubt we'd be able to also host at the same time.

Reactions: Buckley
It's a 2-week tournament so they don't really have a choice. They have a choice when it comes to NYCFC vs Mets games. I wouldn't be surprised if we were always on the road during the US Open, and I still think we'd probably not have games at the same time as the Mets. We could do a 7pm on the same day as a 1pm Mets game, but if they play a weekend at 7, I doubt we'd be able to also host at the same time.
Speaking of this, how come we’ve never played a home game the same day as the Red Bulls? Always found that kind of odd

Speaking of this, how come we’ve never played a home game the same day as the Red Bulls? Always found that kind of odd

Probably a saturation thing -- maybe someone in MLS thinks someone would choose one or the other. Obviously, I doubt anyone does, but if you look carefully there aren't a lot of days the Yankees and Mets play home games on the same day for the same reason.

Reactions: Buckley
Huh, interesting, I didn't know Mets were rebranding to a soccer team!
Subway Derby?
When our stadium opens next door to Citi Field they should do charity Mets vs NYCFC games of various kinds in the parking lot. Neutral ones, like softball or basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Probably a saturation thing -- maybe someone in MLS thinks someone would choose one or the other. Obviously, I doubt anyone does, but if you look carefully there aren't a lot of days the Yankees and Mets play home games on the same day for the same reason.
I've seen quite a number of casual fans wearing RB gear at our games!

To be clear here, it looks like we’re on the doorstep of the promised land after 40 years and you guys are micro-analyzing potential US Open conflicts!
We'll be micro-analyzing the placements of hot dog carts and how high or low the sinks in the bathroom are off the ground once the stadium is built...