Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I was saying our SSS should have a retractable roof and not repeat the mistake by the Mets & USTS. It’s much cheaper if you do it as part of the original build. We have so many matches in winter weather. Just do it right the first time.
didnt both stadiums have plans to have roofs when they were presented to the public? then decided not to when they said it was way too expensive?

I'm not even sure what you mean. Everyone knows that when you get a spring or summer rain usually a few days later a doubleheader blooms. It's just nature at work!

Reactions: daveh and Vallos
There was at least one other night game delayed for lightning. Not sure when, but likely 2018 or 2019. I know it was pre-Covid and I used ticket trade in to have my whole family at Legends, which made the delay a bit more bearable. Probably midweek, but less certain of that.

Not that I'm absolutely certain, but I agree the Seattle game was not delayed.

Also we had an Away game at RBA delayed and then rescheduled in I think 2021. Though Away, it's in the region and so I think relevant to the discussion of the value of a roof. But one postponement in 8-9 years hardly make it worthwhile. Other benefits would be early season cold games, and ability to host events in winter, but I'm not sure all of that together justifies the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
There was at least one other night game delayed for lightning. Not sure when, but likely 2018 or 2019. I know it was pre-Covid and I used ticket trade in to have my whole family at Legends, which made the delay a bit more bearable. Probably midweek, but less certain of that.

Not that I'm absolutely certain, but I agree the Seattle game was not delayed.

Also we had an Away game at RBA delayed and then rescheduled in I think 2021.

Vs Houston on a Wednesday. i remember because i know i had to leave as i had to work early next day. i think game ended close to 11 or so? it was when taty scored that winner at the end of the game basically.

Reactions: JayH and Shwafta
The only delay I can remember was for lightning against Colorado in 2016 - the Lampard hat trick.

I don't think the Seattle game was delayed, although there was apparently some talk about stopping because the ball wasn't rolling.
I think you're right - I think I'm confusing the Seattle and Colorado games

Reactions: Kjbert
But one postponement in 8-9 years hardly make it worthwhile. Other benefits would be early season cold games, and ability to host events in winter, but I'm not sure all of that together justifies the cost.
I think the big ROI is actually attendance. How many additional tickets sold on bad weather days? How many additional attendees buying concessions?

Reactions: adam
I think the big ROI is actually attendance. How many additional tickets sold on bad weather days? How many additional attendees buying concessions?
In the end, I think 90% of the benefit of a closed stadium can be achieved by covering the stands. Fans will show up on bad weather days if their seats are covered.

Covering the stands won't help on cold days - at least not totally - or when there is lightning, but those are rare events.

In the end, I think 90% of the benefit of a closed stadium can be achieved by covering the stands. Fans will show up on bad weather days if their seats are covered.

Covering the stands won't help on cold days - at least not totally - or when there is lightning, but those are rare events.
Yeah I was thinking of those freezing night games in March or November. Would be nice to feel my fingers after one of those.

Reactions: 413Blue
I think it's possible to have some limited heating where there is a roof over the seats. Certainly that would do a lot to block out the wind, which is a main driver of cold.
Wouldn’t it be cool if the bars in the safe standing section could warm up like a towel rack in your bathroom.

Fans will show up on bad weather days if their seats are covered.
And also to keep out from under the sun on good days. To me this is important even if they never go back to the weekend afternoon start times. There was one match we had seats in the 1st row of Section 105 and even though it was a 7:00 PM kickoff we baked until the sun went behind the stands.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
And also to keep out from under the sun on good days. To me this is important even if they never go back to the weekend afternoon start times. There was one match we had seats in the 1st row of Section 105 and even though it was a 7:00 PM kickoff we baked until the sun went behind the stands.
That's why I've kept my row 19 seats (in 224) all these years. Out of the sun, out of the rain, and, uh, still friggin' freezing in March and November I guess LOL

And I very often have an extra seat if anyone ever needs one, just by the way.

Wouldn’t it be cool if the bars in the safe standing section could warm up like a towel rack in your bathroom.
Heated seats. I have a friend who says he thinks they feel like sitting where someone else peed on the chair. But I love ‘em; find it hard to imagine ever buying a car without them.

And my friend’s clearly a weirdo.

Heated seats. I have a friend who says he thinks they feel like sitting where someone else peed on the chair. But I love ‘em; find it hard to imagine ever buying a car without them.

And my friend’s clearly a weirdo.
Better than heated seats is air con seats in a car because then your butt doesn't get so sweaty