Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Great example of cherry-picking stats to defend your position.

Pop Warner participation is down more than 10% from its peak. There is a lag before this will impact high school, making high school participation a backward-looking stat.

I'm betting you realized that but posted this anyway.
So those kids can't start playing in middle school or high school?

It's not a good sign but its also kind of pointless to look at pop warner over high school. You can start football in middle school or high school and be just fine.

Reactions: Vallos

It's not a good sign but its also kind of pointless to look at pop warner over high school. You can start football in middle school or high school and be just fine.
However I would bet that at least 90% of NFL players played pop-warner football. Imagine if youth soccer in the US started dying? What kind of impact would that have on the talent level of MLS? You certainly can't start playing soccer at 14 and expect to be any good.

However I would bet that at least 90% of NFL players played pop-warner football. Imagine if youth soccer in the US started dying? What kind of impact would that have on the talent level of MLS? You certainly can't start playing soccer at 14 and expect to be any good.
But you really can with football. It's much more of physical talent than skill sport. The skills it does require can be developed almost entirely without playing full contact, organized versions of the game.

That said, I don't have a dog in the greater fight here. I like both. I like soccer much more.

I agree with FredMertz FredMertz here. Today's youth behavior predicts tomorrow's adolescent behavior. You'll probably still have close to equal numbers playing HS football in ten years because there are teams to fill. The same way increased interest in soccer won't actually mean more players playing on HS teams. That number is set.

The exciting thing is what 413Blue posted:
Because those HS football teams will be drawing from a shrinking pool, but the HS and club soccer teams will be drawing from a growing pool. And that means more talent flowing into the beautiful game.

Get your season tickets while you still can everybody.

Reactions: 413Blue
I'm just saying, facts are facts.

Wanna see what I mean?

Soccer has had MASSIVE participation at the U-10 level for DECADES. What has it translated to at the high school level? Not much.

Last edited:

Wanna see what I mean?

Soccer has had MASSIVE participation at the U-10 level for DECADES. What has it translated to at the high school level? Not much.
because as of now, soccer is viewed as weak compared to football. in a time where every aspect of how one is percieved matters, students cant afford to be viewed as weak.

Wanna see what I mean?

Please show evidence that U10 soccer participation is not correlated with high school participation.

And even if that was the case, it still does not support your statement that a decline in Pop Warner participation will not lead to a decline in high school participation. If you want to assert something that is so counter-intuitive, you need to support that with something. Anything.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
Ummmm......

This is the "stadium news" thread right??????

You have a fair point in principle, but there's precious little actual stadium news to discuss right now. Given the lack of actual content to put in here, I'm happy to let it slide. Once something actually happens, or gets rumoured again, I'm sure this place will get more focused.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
You have a fair point in principle, but there's precious little actual stadium news to discuss right now. Given the lack of actual content to put in here, I'm happy to let it slide. Once something actually happens, or gets rumoured again, I'm sure this place will get more focused.
The counter to this is when I click on New Posts, I choose to read the Stadium News thread but I would rather ignore the Let's Argue About PeeWee Football vs Soccer Participation Rates thread.

I would also hope this could be handled without Mod action. Guys, please take this elsewhere.

so yea im still pushing for a SSS on the southern tip of Roosevelt Island. perfect view, the transportation is meh (more cable cars)

Reactions: Konrad