Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Regarding parking, remember that MSG and the Barclays Center are used most frequently for weeknight games after work, so they're capturing a crowd that's already in the city and either parked or taking public transit home. MLS games are overwhelmingly on the weekends.

Also, those arenas don't hold nearly as many people as our SSS will. MLS already has higher per game attendance than the NBA or NHL, and we are - and will continue to be - one of the highest in attendance in the league. We will be 10-15k, or 50-75% bigger than those arenas.

Reactions: Paul and Goodfella
There's parking garages on every block around MSG. There is NO WAY they will build a stadium without viable current or future parking options. It would be bad business to do that.

Reactions: Kjbert
More likely the Red Bulls didn't want to pay rent anymore and opted out of the deal.

It's just so strange, 1 game in out of 7. Why not play out the 6 games left in the season. They probably lost money worth a few matches rent in a surrendered security deposit. Then they release this statement.

"As we looked into our future at Columbia and after several discussions with their athletic department leaders, it was best for both parties that we play the remainder of our 2015 USL matches at Red Bull Arena," Oliver said in a press release put out by the team.

799913f4-5637-45af-96e2-8aecc6daa7c5

I guess we'll see...

Reactions: Kjbert
Kingsbridge is ~600 x ~300.

PPL park is ~550 x ~350.
So even PPL park, which holds on 18,500 would not fit at Kingsbridge. I also think you undermeasured -- it doesn't look like you included the upper deck on the east side, which is a slightly darker tan.

Reactions: adam
Empire of soccer reporting RB2 abruptly moving out of Columbia U. Maybe NYCFC made a deal?View attachment 2948

Maybe Red Bull is rebranding the team again. Moving all their operations to New Jersey. Renaming the team New Jersey Red Bulls. Really make something out of the Hudson River Derby. Also, they want more money so everyone will have to buy New Jersey stuff.

It's just so strange, 1 game in out of 7. Why not play out the 6 games left in the season. They probably lost money worth a few matches rent in a surrendered security deposit. Then they release this statement.

"As we looked into our future at Columbia and after several discussions with their athletic department leaders, it was best for both parties that we play the remainder of our 2015 USL matches at Red Bull Arena," Oliver said in a press release put out by the team.

799913f4-5637-45af-96e2-8aecc6daa7c5

I guess we'll see...
Could be as simple as conflicts or pending conflicts of dates. Or it could be a pending deal with NYCFC.

Who knows? Might as well speculate.

Based on that Adweek article, where Tom Glick says that NYCFC will have a stadium within five years, the stadium would be opened by January 2020. Say construction (and demolition) takes 2-3 years, earliest spring 2017 (after college football season). That means that a deal, permits, blueprints, etc. would be starting to be set out in the next couple of months.

A worrying thing about sharing a stadium with Columbia is the relationship in terms of ownership, dates, and imagery through the stadium. Atlanta United is the Atlanta Falcons, same owner, company. I don't think there has been a professional club that shared with a college in a unique stadium (excluding Rose Bowl, LA Memorial, etc.)

Based on that Adweek article, where Tom Glick says that NYCFC will have a stadium within five years, the stadium would be opened by January 2020. Say construction (and demolition) takes 2-3 years, earliest spring 2017 (after college football season). That means that a deal, permits, blueprints, etc. would be starting to be set out in the next couple of months.

A worrying thing about sharing a stadium with Columbia is the relationship in terms of ownership, dates, and imagery through the stadium. Atlanta United is the Atlanta Falcons, same owner, company. I don't think there has been a professional club that shared with a college in a unique stadium (excluding Rose Bowl, LA Memorial, etc.)

Portland and FC Dallas

1. Nycfc and Columbia share the same colors. (Lucky coincidence)

2. The stadium will be built for Nycfc. Ie 30,000+ seats. Columbia might not even open up the whole stadium for their matches. Oh the irony!

3. conflicts. We're talking about at most 2-3 Saturdays towards the end of the season. Columbia can front end their away schedule to minimize conflicts to 1-2 Saturdays, or even play a weeknight match during that span. And I have a feeling we would get to dictate their schedule to them if we're flipping the bill.

4. It's actually a good thing the place won't be dark 95% of the year.

Is this location perfect for me personally? No, I live in LI. But it's about the same from Penn as YS, and not too far after the triboro (I mean RFK bridge). It's a good location, on Manhattan with great views. And it's ours. And it could be ready in 3-5 years. I'll sign up for that.

While i'm not thrilled about that location, one thing it does is give us the added political capital to get something done. If Columbia is fully on-board, they probably have more leverage to get it done than CFG and the Yankees combined. An arrangement such as this may be our most realistic shot, at least in the near term.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
While i'm not thrilled about that location, one thing it does is give us the added political capital to get something done. If Columbia is fully on-board, they probably have more leverage to get it done than CFG and the Yankees combined. An arrangement such as this may be our most realistic shot, at least in the near term.
Considering that slot of land we are talking about is owned by the university you are 100% right.

Reactions: Goodfella
Considering that slot of land we are talking about is owned by the university you are 100% right.
Very true, but I assume some infrastructure improvements would have to be made to the area on other property, not to mention potential zoning changes etc.

Very true, but I assume some infrastructure improvements would have to be made to the area on other property, not to mention potential zoning changes etc.
No real zoning would need to take place because that area there is zone for a stadium and Columbia is allowed to build what they want on there campus, but I think MTA would need to bring back the 9 express and the march to the stadium would have to be made through the park form 207th to 218th off the last stop on the A. Which would need to be upgraded

Reactions: adam