• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
o
From shortly after their inception in 1962 until the mid-90s, the Mets routinely got higher ratings and higher attendance than the Yankees comparing comparable seasons. For example, in 1985 the Yankees won 97 games, finished second and were in contention until the last weekend of the season. In 1985 the Mets won 98 games, finished second, and were in contention until the last week of the season. the Yankees attendance was 2.21 million and the Mets 2.76 million. The Yankees only started routinely outpacing the Mets in interest, attendance and ratings starting the Joe Torre/Derek Jeter era. Met fans used to taunt Yankee fans with the claim that NY was a National League town and always will be.

Since 1976 the Mets have had better attendance than the Yankees only 9 times in 40 years.
Granted the yankees have had a better run, but the Mets almost always lag in #s.
The area around Yankee stadium back in the day was far worse than the area around Shea. The old Bronx Terminal Market was shit at night.
For the last 20 years the Yankees have far out drawn the Mets. The stadium is easier to get to from NJ, Westchester and CT. also much easier to get to from Manhattan.

To be fair to the Mets (and I am a Yankee fan), the first year that a team emerges as a contender is often lower in attendance than it maybe should be. Sometimes fans take a while to catch on.

True, but the Yankees have not been real contenders for a while yet still draw more fans. I am a Yankee fan.

Since 1976 the Mets have had better attendance than the Yankees only 9 times in 40 years.
Granted the yankees have had a better run, but the Mets almost always lag in #s.
The area around Yankee stadium back in the day was far worse than the area around Shea. The old Bronx Terminal Market was shit at night.
For the last 20 years the Yankees have far out drawn the Mets. The stadium is easier to get to from NJ, Westchester and CT. also much easier to get to from Manhattan.

Didn't mean to derail this entirely into Mets vs Yankees banter. My point was simply that LI attendance isn't monolithic.

And holding up the Yankees as a point of comparison for anything is fairly meaningless because (A) they are the only pro team north of NYC in any sport so have no competition (until now with NYCFC), (B) they spend unlimited money to be a perennial contender, (C) they had a miracle run in the Jeter years which fueled attendance for a generation, and (D) they have brilliantly marketed themselves as a brand that has meaning way beyond the sport itself.

Didn't mean to derail this entirely into Mets vs Yankees banter. My point was simply that LI attendance isn't monolithic.

And holding up the Yankees as a point of comparison for anything is fairly meaningless because (A) they are the only pro team north of NYC in any sport so have no competition (until now with NYCFC), (B) they spend unlimited money to be a perennial contender, (C) they had a miracle run in the Jeter years which fueled attendance for a generation, and (D) they have brilliantly marketed themselves as a brand that has meaning way beyond the sport itself.
So pretty much Yankees > Mets :D

I saw this article posted somewhere, thought it might be of interest: https://www.soccerex.com/news/2015/12/waging-war-against-sofa

It's predominantly about some of the considerations SJE made when building Avaya Stadium. They lead with a chunk about ubiquitous wifi, which had my eyebrow raised, but they do talk about the perils of "constant partial attention", and the risk of ruining the experience. I liked where they talked about raising utilization and creating a kind of community hub / "village green", and hope we'll be / are thinking of the same types of things.

I saw this article posted somewhere, thought it might be of interest: https://www.soccerex.com/news/2015/12/waging-war-against-sofa

It's predominantly about some of the considerations SJE made when building Avaya Stadium. They lead with a chunk about ubiquitous wifi, which had my eyebrow raised, but they do talk about the perils of "constant partial attention", and the risk of ruining the experience. I liked where they talked about raising utilization and creating a kind of community hub / "village green", and hope we'll be / are thinking of the same types of things.
This is cool but tough. NYC space constraints make some of the extras in the area around the stadium impossible. And I am torn regarding the wifi. I hate the idea that improved wifi means more people on their phones and not locked into the game, the chants, the experience.

This is cool but tough. NYC space constraints make some of the extras in the area around the stadium impossible. And I am torn regarding the wifi. I hate the idea that improved wifi means more people on their phones and not locked into the game, the chants, the experience.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what the upside of having ubiquitous wifi is, or how it fits into the rest of their stadium plans regarding community / gathering spaces.

Reactions: FootyLovin and JayH
I want wifi - that or they better install a sh!t-ton of mobile antennas. I always have plenty of Sprint bars but I can't get sh!t data when I'm in the stadium therefore I miss more of the game when my wife constantly asks if I've gotten any updates from the 9mo (5mo at the time) old's sitter/grandparents. Once we exit, a stream of texts come rolling in.

Reactions: JayH
It suddenly has occurred to me that there might be quite a few of these threads if we really do keep them separated by year. :(

Exactly the first thing I thought of...
Dibs on the 2020 Stadium discussion thread...

Wish we got atleast some information "leaked" by the team to give us an idea of where we are in the process, good or bad.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
I want wifi! I'd love to be able to check on something that I was not able to see in the match. Plus pre-game discussion on the chatbox!

Not to the degree that the Mets should have been supported. # 12 in attendance this past season with one of the more exciting teams in baseball.
Has anyone figured in stadium size vs. attendance? For example, maximum attendance for the Mets is 3,645,000. Yankees is 4,021,002. KC Royals is far less at 3,070,143. Maybe we need to be comparing percentage filled rather than just number of tickets sold.