Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I have a feeling he stole that from here.
This is the third place I've heard it. The second being the Third Rail's Facebook page yesterday and the first being someone close to the team at the end of the season.

Fwiw I reached out to the school mentioned to see if they'd comment.

I think NYCFC's biggest problem with Yankee Stadium is not the turf or the scheduling issues, but the unrealistic expectations it has created in its fans.

Yankee Stadium has made it hard to imagine being a season ticket holder in a far flung corner of the city because I am a creature of habit but for me the (unrealistic) expectation comes from the GAL elevator/parking lot site negotiation. I keep hoping there will be a surprise announcement that the band got back together and the deal's gone through

Yankee Stadium has made it hard to imagine being a season ticket holder in a far flung corner of the city because I am a creature of habit but for me the (unrealistic) expectation comes from the GAL elevator/parking lot site negotiation. I keep hoping there will be a surprise announcement that the band got back together and the deal's gone through

Indeed, on another note, what is the largest stadium size that you can put in the GAL lot?

I know we're not going to get an 80k mixed use stadium with the Giants :(. But I'm hoping that we can at least fit a 50k there. Or a 30k with room for expansion.

Indeed, on another note, what is the largest stadium size that you can put in the GAL lot?

I know we're not going to get an 80k mixed use stadium with the Giants :(. But I'm hoping that we can at least fit a 50k there. Or a 30k with room for expansion.

With the GAL lot, it's already a tight fit when putting a Red Bull Arena (25K). You can probably make the stands steeper and refit the luxury boxes to go around the stadium rather than on end to get closer to 30K but no room for expansion.

With the GAL lot, it's already a tight fit when putting a Red Bull Arena (25K). You can probably make the stands steeper and refit the luxury boxes to go around the stadium rather than on end to get closer to 30K but no room for expansion.
I think the design for nearly any site in NYC will have to have steeper stands than most stadiums - possible footprints are going to be really constrained. a huge benefit of a steep stadium is the noise will get amplified tremendously.

I remember seeing a rendering which made it seem like they could fit a bigger stadium. This rendering by eos is wrong because the original proposal included the 153rd St lot and involved de-mapping the street and rerouting or eliminating the ramp.
Can't find it though.
yanks-nycfc2-620x400.jpg

Reactions: Kjbert
If by anyone you mean Westchester and Connecticut.

LIE is directly south of sunnyside yards. It makes driving from Long Island a lot easier. At the same time, driving to Yankee Stadium is not exactly the easiest drive if you are from LI.
And Jersey folks too :)

Would be interesting to have a heat map of where the 20k season ticket holders live to determine the consensus best and worst options for a stadium. Obviously, this will change by the time a stadium is built, but I wonder what is the best-for-most location based upon the spread of the fan base.
That is not necessarily the right way to measure the ideal location in terms of maximum potential attendance. One can easily make an argument that majority of season ticket holders are hard core fans who are less or even not stadium location sensitive/elastic while majority of potential marginal fans who are more stadium location sensitive. So a heat map of where those fans are is the best way to max out attendance (again there are many ways to define ideal but I suppose financial/max attendance ought to be the highest priority). I am not saying which way is the right way, I am just pointing out heat map of seasonal ticket holders may or may not be the right way to go if your goal is to max out the attendance

That is not necessarily the right way to measure the ideal location in terms of maximum potential attendance. One can easily make an argument that majority of season ticket holders are hard core fans who are less or even not stadium location sensitive/elastic while majority of potential marginal fans who are more stadium location sensitive. So a heat map of where those fans are is the best way to max out attendance (again there are many ways to define ideal but I suppose financial/max attendance ought to be the highest priority). I am not saying which way is the right way, I am just pointing out heat map of seasonal ticket holders may or may not be the right way to go if your goal is to max out the attendance
I don't disagree. I really was just commenting on the various reactions which were mostly based upon the commute. I am even a little selfishly biased as to where I favor based upon the ease of my own commute. The heat map certainly wouldn't dictate what is ideal as far as attendance draw, optimal space etc. It would show the most convenient spot as far as ease of travel.

The heat map certainly wouldn't dictate what is ideal as far as attendance draw, optimal space etc. It would show the most convenient spot as far as ease of travel.
But then you have to take into account that the current STHs are in part a product of being in Yankee Stadium. If we played at CitiField last year we'd have fewer fans from the Hudson Valley and more from Long Island. That wouldn't mean moving to the Bronx would be inconvenient.

But then you have to take into account that the current STHs are in part a product of being in Yankee Stadium. If we played at CitiField last year we'd have fewer fans from the Hudson Valley and more from Long Island. That wouldn't mean moving to the Bronx would be inconvenient.

Correct, you would have fewer fans from the Hudson Valley if the team was at Citifield, but that does not mean more fans from Long Island. The Island has a long history of not supporting the teams that they have.

Correct, you would have fewer fans from the Hudson Valley if the team was at Citifield, but that does not mean more fans from Long Island. The Island has a long history of not supporting the teams that they have.
Long Islander here. I made 17 home games in 2015 and now own 4 STs for my family. Support depends on the team. Have the Mets been supported the last 50 years?

Long Islander here. I made 17 home games in 2015 and now own 4 STs for my family. Support depends on the team. Have the Mets been supported the last 50 years?

Not to the degree that the Mets should have been supported. # 12 in attendance this past season with one of the more exciting teams in baseball.

From shortly after their inception in 1962 until the mid-90s, the Mets routinely got higher ratings and higher attendance than the Yankees comparing comparable seasons. For example, in 1985 the Yankees won 97 games, finished second and were in contention until the last weekend of the season. In 1985 the Mets won 98 games, finished second, and were in contention until the last week of the season. That year, the Yankees attendance was 2.21 million and the Mets 2.76 million. The Yankees only started routinely outpacing the Mets in interest, attendance and ratings starting in the mid-to-late 9os Joe Torre/Derek Jeter era. Met fans used to taunt Yankee fans with the claim that "NY is a National League town and always will be."

Things change.

Last edited:
Not to the degree that the Mets should have been supported. # 12 in attendance this past season with one of the more exciting teams in baseball.

To be fair to the Mets (and I am a Yankee fan), the first year that a team emerges as a contender is often lower in attendance than it maybe should be. Sometimes fans take a while to catch on.

To be fair to the Mets (and I am a Yankee fan), the first year that a team emerges as a contender is often lower in attendance than it maybe should be. Sometimes fans take a while to catch on.

Kansas City is a perfect example of this. Kansas City drew 1.96 million in 2014 when they went to the World Series. This year they drew 2.71 million. If the Mets are good again next year, expect their number to jump in 2016. It probably won't be as much as KC, but it will jump. And I'm another Yankee fan.

Last edited:
Kansac City is a perfect example of this. Kansas City drew 1.96 million in 2014 when they went to the World Series. This year they drew 2.71 million. If the Mets are good again next year, expect their number to jump in 2016. It probably won't be as much as KC, but it will jump. And I'm another Yankee fan.
Yeah the casual baseball fan definitely jumped on the Mets bandwagon in the tri-state area. If the Mets can turn this one season into long-term success then their attendance will definitely rise.