Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Is anyone else getting the feeling like this part of the thread is turning into the Texiera thread? (God I hope I'm wrong)
Only because we are allowing it to evolve in such a way. Our stadium currently subsists; it does not exist.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think if anything is happening with this Populous speculation it's that the firm has been engaged to produce drawings for use in a presentation:
"If you let us build here, Mr. Mayor and assorted sycophants, hangers-on, and would-be NIMBYs, we will create a beautiful enhancement to this neighborhood. Just look at these drawings of a clean new edifice filled with happy people, spending money , all of which is subject to the sales tax. Look at them smile as they empty their wallets, and 8+% of everything goes to the city! Here they are spending more money in the neighborhood filled with clean, well-lit bars and restaurants. Look at the smiles on the faces of local small business owners! Here is a drawing of the luxury-yet-subsidized-low-rent housing we will help build, just out of sight of the stadium. Here is a rendering of the special podium attached to the stadium where once every year you can come, Mr. Mayor, and ritually slaughter a chipmunk, or whatever it is you do. Just let us build the damn thing."

Or maybe that Populous twitter guy was just trolling. Truth is I got nothin'.

Here is a rendering of the special podium attached to the stadium where once every year you can come, Mr. Mayor, and ritually slaughter a chipmunk, or whatever it is you do. Just let us build the damn thing."
Killing Staten Island Chuck is still the only thing I can tell you for sure that de Blasio has done while in office. I mean besides being late to every single event.

I didn't have any problem submitting the survey, and didn't read any reports of people having issues in the other thread. My guess is there was an internet or server hiccup just as Cat was trying to submit.
My other guess is there were no questions about the ADA facilities because that is a given. Of course some level of compliance is required by law, and I bet they have good data from season 1 and the Yankees about the level of interest and need for the new stadium.
I had to look up BB2N. It's an obscure and non-offensive reference to an incident on a Villanove basketball bulletin board when a player named Bilal Benn transferred from Villanova ro Niagara University and apparently people kept posting the news even though it was repeatedly posted earlier.
Bilal Benn 2 Niagara.

Last edited:
I didn't have any problem submitting the survey, and didn't read any reports of people having issues in the other thread. My guess is there was an internet or server hiccup just as Cat was trying to submit.
My other guess is there were no questions about the ADA facilities because that is a given. Of course some level of compliance is required by law, and I bet they have good data from season 1 and the Yankees about the level of interest and need for the new stadium.
I had to look up BB2N. It's an obscure and non-offensive reference to an incident on a Villanove basketball bulletin board when a player named Bilal Benn transferred from Villanova ro Niagara University and apparently people kept posting the news even though it was repeatedly posted earlier.
Bilal Benn 2 Niagara.

Bravo. That took some very good I-net sleuthing and I am proud to know you (at least digitally).

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/02/03/bronx_railyard_could_have_a_future_as_a_megadevelopment.php

Not sure if that site has been mentioned in this thread yet (probably). I bit too far out for my liking.

Especially if Cosmos get Elmont: https://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/442m93/perhaps_news_on_the_cosmos_stadium_soon/

A north-Bronx NYCFC site and a near-Brooklyn Cosmos site would concede a lot of territory.

EDIT: Some public transit times:

Manhattan
Grand Central - 35 minutes (50 min to Red Bull; 1:15 to Belmont)
Fulton Street - 50 minutes (35 min to Red Bull; 1:10 to Belmont)
Penn Station - 1 hour (40 min to Red Bull; 1:20 to Belmont)

Queens
Long Island City - 50 minutes (1:10 to Red Bull; 1:15 to Belmont)
Astoria - 1 hour (1:15 to Red Bull; 1:25 to Belmont)

Brooklyn
Atlantic Terminal - 1:10 (55 min to Red Bull; 50 min to Belmont)
Coney Island - 1:45 (1:30 to Red Bull; 2 hours to Belmont)

Very situational as to what sites work for what people, but this shows that north-Bronx has zero edge in travel times generally. It wins Grand Central, which is big, but that's about it.

EDIT 2: Site size:

ggkewin.jpg

Last edited:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/02/03/bronx_railyard_could_have_a_future_as_a_megadevelopment.php

Not sure if that site has been mentioned in this thread yet (probably). I bit too far out for my liking.

EDIT: Some public transit times:

Queens
Long Island City - 50 minutes (1:10 to Red Bull; 1:15 to Belmont)
Astoria - 1 hour (1:15 to Red Bull; 1:25 to Belmont)

Very situational as to what sites work for what people, but this shows that north-Bronx has zero edge in travel times generally. It wins Grand Central, which is big, but that's about it.

That's a bit of a horrowshow for Queens via transit. It's right next to Bronx Science HS. Lots of kids from Queens attend that school, and they run about a half-dozen special bus lines because kids would have 2 hour public transit commutes even during rush hour.
But as you noted, all sites are situational, better for some neighborhoods than others, and the sheer cost of building the deck makes it very unlikely anyway I think.

That's a bit of a horrowshow for Queens via transit. It's right next to Bronx Science HS. Lots of kids from Queens attend that school, and they run about a half-dozen special bus lines because kids would have 2 hour public transit commutes even during rush hour.
But as you noted, all sites are situational, better for some neighborhoods than others, and the sheer cost of building the deck makes it very unlikely anyway I think.

The good news for Queens then, I suppose, is that it's very drive-able. Long Island City and Astoria folk can subway into Grand Central and up, while outer Queens has less than a 45 minute drive.

More I look at the location, the more I think it's just inside my acceptable range. I wouldn't be upset if it was here. (But I'm a Manhattan/Long Island City guy, so I can see outer Queens and Brooklyn people being a little annoyed.)

I know that area fairly well and it is an interesting idea. There is a lot of new residential development in the area, and even more planned in the near future. So it seems possible that the people who live there (or more relevantly, as these things go, those who own property there) might be open to the kind of development a stadium would bring.

There is easy accessibility to the 4 and D trains which makes commuting from Manhattan easy but lack of good Metro North access is negative as is difficulty from Queens and sheer distance from Brooklyn. We don't want to cede Brooklyn to the Red Bulls!

Reactions: Ulrich
When an outfit like CFG send out surveys and want to know what fans would like or are willing to endure it tells me that they are close to make a decision about "where".. They just want to have reports and stuff telling them where it ought to be in case the paymasters wonder why everything became so expensive.. IMHO that is

Reactions: Kjbert
When an outfit like CFG send out surveys and want to know what fans would like or are willing to endure it tells me that they are close to make a decision about "where".. They just want to have reports and stuff telling them where it ought to be in case the paymasters wonder why everything became so expensive.. IMHO that is

I'll speculate they are also "checking their work." Seeing if there initial study was accurate, and seeing if anything has changed in the last year. Wouldn't want to rely on stale information.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
Just a great story from Sunderland, who built a room for younger fans with autism so they can enjoy the matches at the stadium. The end of the video says that the family, or someone else, is having talks with other top Premier League clubs. Therefore, I can see this being set up at the Etihad Manchester and the Etihad New York when it's built.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

A north-Bronx NYCFC site and a near-Brooklyn Cosmos site would concede a lot of territory.

EDIT 2: Site size:

ggkewin.jpg
[/QUOTE]

As a supporter of the 2015 PSAL champion Bronx Science Wolverines Girls Soccer team I would wholeheartedly endorse a site across from Harris and a block and a half from Bronx Science and Lehman College. 4 stops right there. The D and 2 are close too and it is not far from the Deegan and the Saw Mill. There is a really nice diner on Bedford Park Boulevard, plenty of food trucks, a gas station and a dunkin donuts too. Only drawback is that it is likely too far from a central location, but we can dream.

While I like the okra guy I have to go with this one. I went to Stuyvesant in the '70s, and I have to say that nothing struck fear into the hearts of the opposing football team than knowing they were about to play the Stuyvesant Peglegs.

What's that you say? That wasn't fear in their hearts inspired by the thought of being chased around the field by a guy with a wooden leg? Well, crap.

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski