Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
What caused you to bring this up? Is there news or something?
Not really news, just some relatively insignificant info I learned. I think we probably could have read it through the tea leaves, though, building a stadium in Brooklyn, after the amount of money we've seen them put down for lobbying (chump change -- <10% of what CFG spent), they couldn't have been serious or able to buy a spot like that.

Also, the UN's renderings of their new building on the south side of 42nd includes part of that playground --meaning the City gave the UN some park space. Not that it means much, but it hints that there's a chance they can budge on park space. The fact that the Mayor's Office gave in, in 2011 -- and BdB seems to be okay with it -- gives a bit of hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
flfyk6O

http://imgur.com/flfyk6O

Closer, I'm talking about this space here that I marked in orange on Paint because I don't have any editing software lol
Don't let these fancy software guys make you feel small. That's some bad ass MS paint work you did there.

Also, the UN's renderings of their new building on the south side of 42nd includes part of that playground --meaning the City gave the UN some park space. Not that it means much, but it hints that there's a chance they can budge on park space. The fact that the Mayor's Office gave in, in 2011 -- and BdB seems to be okay with it -- gives a bit of hope.
The way I figure it, the Mayor's office has it all wrong by demanding affordable housing as a requirement for any new development.... The city is so short on new schools (my neighborhood is woefully under-served by Middle & High Schools and there was a huge overcrowding problem in the Elementary School that made the papers) that the City should let NYCFC build a stadium, and help them find the space/appropriate city land with the stipulation that two schools be part of the project. If there's one thing that will cut through NIMBY faster than a hot knife, it's giving the neighborhood one of the most desired and valuable resources available - new school buildings.

so the other day i was going to say something about riker's island how we don't need to be giving "valuable" nyc real estate to a prison, but looking at it more it turns out that its a jail that houses temporary inmates waiting for a court date, and i thought, hmm i guess we do need something like that. BUT! turns out there was an article expressing the same though. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20160228/REAL_ESTATE/160229896/rikers-island-reimagined

i say get rid of it and put our stadium on there!

so the other day i was going to say something about riker's island how we don't need to be giving "valuable" nyc real estate to a prison, but looking at it more it turns out that its a jail that houses temporary inmates waiting for a court date, and i thought, hmm i guess we do need something like that. BUT! turns out there was an article expressing the same though. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20160228/REAL_ESTATE/160229896/rikers-island-reimagined

in all honesty it'll only be a matter of time before it does happen. But the transportation issue still stands. Randall's island has that Ichann stadium thing and Ward's island still had that one facility that I know of but both of them used to have hospitals/workhouses/quarantine sites. Same thing with Roosevelt Island. They got rid of the last hospital and gave the land to Cornell a couple years ago if memory serves. The little islands are great but the infrastructure cannot handle 20k people going down for a game after work you know?

Talk about gentrification. I guess we'll start seeing Riker's Cupcakes soon.

The Jail is closer to being closed than you think. Inmates stay there long past "temporary" time periods - it's pretty indefinite for many - meanwhile there's a ton of reported abuse by correction officers and many write-ups on how the juveniles detained are left in a psychological & emotional purgatory. Right now there's at least one task force looking in to what to do with the jail, whether its trying to reform its policies or simply shut the doors and move it elsewhere.

Reactions: Kjbert
The Jail is closer to being closed than you think. Inmates stay there long past "temporary" time periods - it's pretty indefinite for many - meanwhile there's a ton of reported abuse by correction officers and many write-ups on how the juveniles detained are left in a psychological & emotional purgatory. Right now there's at least one task force looking in to what to do with the jail, whether its trying to reform its policies or simply shut the doors and move it elsewhere.
I wanna point out though that it's not one jail. there's like six different facilities all on the "Riker's" compound. i dont know how many people there are on the island on average, but I think most people don't realize how big it actually is.

Riker's is renovating it's Psychiatric Center, so they're apparently investing a ton of money into it. Also, does anyone remember the place in Brooklyn the Cosmos were "looking"? Can't remember the name, but the foundation/soil would have taken as much money as the stadium's construction to build upon, which is why it was never a serious contender for their stadium site.

I've not heard anything about this at all before this but it's hard to imagine moving that huge facility. I mean, if it's this hard finding a spot to build a lovely new stadium how hard will it be to find a neighborhood that'll take a 10,000 inmate jail?

I've not heard anything about this at all before this but it's hard to imagine moving that huge facility. I mean, if it's this hard finding a spot to build a lovely new stadium how hard will it be to find a neighborhood that'll take a 10,000 inmate jail?
The State is more interested in closing it than the city. DeBlasio doesn't want to waste any of the minuscule capital he has moving it and losing out on his pet projects. The problem is that Rikers Island is crumbling and severely overcrowded, so short of massive renovations, which in construction it's more expensive to renovate entire building than to start fresh, its better to move to a higher number of smaller, but new, facilities.

This is a recent article but the discussion/debate has been going on for the last year or two.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/n...-rikers-jail-complex-is-unrealistic.html?_r=0

in all honesty it'll only be a matter of time before it does happen. But the transportation issue still stands. Randall's island has that Ichann stadium thing and Ward's island still had that one facility that I know of but both of them used to have hospitals/workhouses/quarantine sites. Same thing with Roosevelt Island. They got rid of the last hospital and gave the land to Cornell a couple years ago if memory serves. The little islands are great but the infrastructure cannot handle 20k people going down for a game after work you know?
I say build the stadium on rikers, thinks of all the awesome nicknames we could have if we do this :p! Or maybe supporters groupso_O! worry about the infrastructure later.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski

Send them to Jersey!

The way I figure it, the Mayor's office has it all wrong by demanding affordable housing as a requirement for any new development.... The city is so short on new schools (my neighborhood is woefully under-served by Middle & High Schools and there was a huge overcrowding problem in the Elementary School that made the papers) that the City should let NYCFC build a stadium, and help them find the space/appropriate city land with the stipulation that two schools be part of the project. If there's one thing that will cut through NIMBY faster than a hot knife, it's giving the neighborhood one of the most desired and valuable resources available - new school buildings.

The City has no place demanding that public housing or schools be part of any new development. Those are what the city is supposed to provide with the taxes they collect.
The real problem in NYC is that you don't pay any taxes. In Westchester or Long Island a house worth $4,000,000 might pay $100,000 in school and property taxes.In NYC a $4,000,000 house may pay $20,000. You get what you pay for. I feel the Bern. In the suburbs the rich pay.