Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
They spent hundreds of millions of dollars to build the stadium. The references to them leasing the stadium are misleading, as both the Jets and Giants technically are leasing the stadium from themselves (a joint venture they both formed called "New Meadowlands Stadium Company, LLC".

Even without the PSL issue, leaving the stadium to build a new one would mean not only spending billions on a new stadium, but seriously impairing their investment in the old one by leaving as their own tenant.

That's what I figured. No way in hell they leave the current scenario. (I shouldn't say that, if there was a 3rd NFL team to take their place in Met Life...)

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/02/cit...g-island-city-mixed-use-development-site.html

Now currently the city is looking for "commercial office or light manufacturing space, up to 1,000 apartments, a school, and a small park." but this looks like a dope spot for a stadium, right on the water, good space with some strategic land purchasing, few minutes away from the E, M, 7, G, N, Q and LIRR as well as a shot drive off the LIE.

That empty land by the Con Edison plant plus the land that large building on the corner of 44th Drive and Vernon Boulevard gives them enough space for a stadium. Thoughts?

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/02/cit...g-island-city-mixed-use-development-site.html

Now currently the city is looking for "commercial office or light manufacturing space, up to 1,000 apartments, a school, and a small park." but this looks like a dope spot for a stadium, right on the water, good space with some strategic land purchasing, few minutes away from the E, M, 7, G, N, Q and LIRR as well as a shot drive off the LIE.

That empty land by the Con Edison plant plus the land that large building on the corner of 44th Drive and Vernon Boulevard gives them enough space for a stadium. Thoughts?

Possibly enough room for stadium only.

VernonAnd44th.png

It's possible but maybe a little tight. Would need parking, too. Also the access by car would need some urban re-engineering to widen streets and provide easier access. Walkable from the subways but a little bit of a hike. 1/2 mile to the E, a little over 3/4 mile to the N, a mile to the R.

VernonAnd44th.png

It's possible but maybe a little tight. Would need parking, too. Also the access by car would need some urban re-engineering to widen streets and provide easier access. Walkable from the subways but a little bit of a hike. 1/2 mile to the E, a little over 3/4 mile to the N, a mile to the R.
Actually the article refers to the land south of that. That watery site plus a warehouse south west of it are what I'm referring to. I don't think Con Edison would give up that parking space tbh.

VernonAnd44th.png

Just plant some piles in the water and extend out past the bulkhead. There's your extra room.

Actually the article refers to the land south of that. That watery site plus a warehouse south west of it are what I'm referring to. I don't think Con Edison would give up that parking space tbh.
Ah, you're right, I have the wrong spot. Although I guess my comments still stand though as I think that's a smaller plot of land.

Reactions: Gene
Guys I could have sworn I posted this a few days ago - I even had the thing uploaded in imgur but I'm not seeing the post. If it was removed please feel free to delete it again and I'll leave it alone.

I took a photo of the sign when I passed by the other day (which I promised to do MONTHS ago but I suck at life) at the Sunnyside Yards site where they are working on the East Side Access project where they're putting in the new LIRR stop. It has a completion date of 2022. It's a little hard to read but I wasn't carrying my spare can of graffiti remover at the time.

ieiVcQa.jpg

I used to work on that block. The building on the corner was the Dept of Education, have they moved?
Transport is going to be an issue. The LIRR isn't walking distance and the MetroNorth riders will complain. If they can arrange a game day ferry (the restaurant on the corner already has (had) ferry service from the pier at 34th-ish street in the city) it would be better, but as mentioned the subways are all a bit of a walk, and there is zero parking.

Reactions: Gene
I used to work on that block. The building on the corner was the Dept of Education, have they moved?
Transport is going to be an issue. The LIRR isn't walking distance and the MetroNorth riders will complain. If they can arrange a game day ferry (the restaurant on the corner already has (had) ferry service from the pier at 34th-ish street in the city) it would be better, but as mentioned the subways are all a bit of a walk, and there is zero parking.
Nah, it's just a warehouse for the DoE right now. It's less than a 20 minute walk which I'm sure would put off a few people but it has the advantage of being in a place the city is trying to redevelop.

Reactions: Kjbert
I've lived on 44th drive very recently so let me weigh in on this.

Transportation wise its probably the best you're going to get out of all the possible sites. It's centrally located in the city. It would be about a 6-7 minute walk from the Court Square 7/G station, which is super easy to get to from Grand Central. If you wanted to get off after one stop from Grand Central, the 10-12 minute walk up Vernon Blvd is filled with restaurants and bars. Traffic wise, there is no parking available and the congestion would be brutal with all the one-way streets and people already trying to get to Brooklyn and the LIE by way of 21 st and Vernon Blvd. You would not be able to drive to this location. It would be subway/train or bust. Unless they built a garage. But then it would still be horrible with the traffic, like Red Bull Arena is now.

There is also an issue with flooding at this location. If there is another hurricane like Sandy, the stadium will suffer extensive damage.

Ultimately though what would sink this site is the NIMBYism. Long Island City's population is either families who own units in the older buildings that aren't getting torn down for luxury housing, or young wealthy families moving into the luxury apartments near Queens Plaza/Court Square/Gantry Plaza. They both have one key thing in common -- children. The number one thing the community is clamoring for right now is more schools for the kids, especially with everyone moving in. On top of that, the area is also severely lacking in retail options and stores. A stadium solves none of this. People want to see this neighborhood become a great place to raise a family, and schools/commercial zoning would win out in public opinion.

The councilman for the district, Jimmy Van Bramer, also seems very keen to continue the development of these luxury high-rises.

I think the ship has sailed on NYCFC building a stadium in LIC. They are just too late to the game and its not what the community there is going to rally around. Maybe 5-10 years ago you would have had a different story.

Just a little FYI, the whole Cosmos building a stadium in Brooklyn was a farce. They were/still are 100% committed to LI and they still might not get the Belmont spot. Lots of community backlash and not nearly enough capital.

What caused you to bring this up? Is there news or something?

Just a little FYI, the whole Cosmos building a stadium in Brooklyn was a farce. They were/still are 100% committed to LI and they still might not get the Belmont spot. Lots of community backlash and not nearly enough capital.
Since we're off-topic with the Kosmos - I've always been skeptical of their owner's financials. They hem & haw about wanting to build an expensive mega stadium complex, but they run their club like it's on a shoe-string budget. If they're ever given approval to build at Belmont, 10-to-1 they bring on major developers to help them get it built.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
I've lived on 44th drive very recently so let me weigh in on this.

Transportation wise its probably the best you're going to get out of all the possible sites. It's centrally located in the city. It would be about a 6-7 minute walk from the Court Square 7/G station, which is super easy to get to from Grand Central. If you wanted to get off after one stop from Grand Central, the 10-12 minute walk up Vernon Blvd is filled with restaurants and bars. Traffic wise, there is no parking available and the congestion would be brutal with all the one-way streets and people already trying to get to Brooklyn and the LIE by way of 21 st and Vernon Blvd. You would not be able to drive to this location. It would be subway/train or bust. Unless they built a garage. But then it would still be horrible with the traffic, like Red Bull Arena is now.

There is also an issue with flooding at this location. If there is another hurricane like Sandy, the stadium will suffer extensive damage.

Ultimately though what would sink this site is the NIMBYism. Long Island City's population is either families who own units in the older buildings that aren't getting torn down for luxury housing, or young wealthy families moving into the luxury apartments near Queens Plaza/Court Square/Gantry Plaza. They both have one key thing in common -- children. The number one thing the community is clamoring for right now is more schools for the kids, especially with everyone moving in. On top of that, the area is also severely lacking in retail options and stores. A stadium solves none of this. People want to see this neighborhood become a great place to raise a family, and schools/commercial zoning would win out in public opinion.

The councilman for the district, Jimmy Van Bramer, also seems very keen to continue the development of these luxury high-rises.

I think the ship has sailed on NYCFC building a stadium in LIC. They are just too late to the game and its not what the community there is going to rally around. Maybe 5-10 years ago you would have had a different story.

He's also a giant tool.
Good call on the flooding though I hadn't even thought of that.