Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
No, Dave Martinez and I are friends. Always on good terms. I was arguing with his NYCFC beat writer Christian Araos because I thought his "No progress on NYCFC's search for a stadium" headline was misleading, and certainly not true. I mean, his own piece quoted Reyna as saying, "There are positive inroads being made"... sounds like progress to me. He just didn't want to talk to the press about the details, which makes sense. Also, from my own sources, that "no progress" claim definitely isn't the case.

Anyways, when I mentioned that to him, he got pissed and implied that I had no sources. For that reason, and that reason only, I showed him my tweet that broke the "50 pitches in underserved neighborhoods" story (or details of it) 3 hours before NYT, and before anyone else, just to underscore that clearly I *do* have sources.

Then he got pissed and called me a "so-called journalist" a couple times and tried to lecture me about how a "real" journalist behaves, or whatever, and finally accused me of "stealing" the details about the 50 pitches I tweeted from this very forum. So, I told him off, and he wasn't man enough to retract his false accusation and apologize, as expected.

That's all that happened. The whole stupid conversation can be seen for all on twitter. He had a total melt-down because I questioned his headline. And journalists are always telling me to "have thick skin" and "accept criticism" respectfully. I guess they didn't teach ol' Christian Araos that in J-school.

i wish i didnt ask

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
No, Dave Martinez and I are friends. Always on good terms. I was arguing with his NYCFC beat writer Christian Araos because I thought his "No progress on NYCFC's search for a stadium" headline was misleading, and certainly not true. I mean, his own piece quoted Reyna as saying, "There are positive inroads being made"... sounds like progress to me. He just didn't want to talk to the press about the details, which makes sense. Also, from my own sources, that "no progress" claim definitely isn't the case.

Anyways, when I mentioned that to him, he got pissed and implied that I had no sources. For that reason, and that reason only, I showed him my tweet that broke the "50 pitches in underserved neighborhoods" story (or details of it) 3 hours before NYT, and before anyone else, just to underscore that clearly I *do* have sources.

Then he got pissed and called me a "so-called journalist" a couple times and tried to lecture me about how a "real" journalist behaves, or whatever, and finally accused me of "stealing" the details about the 50 pitches I tweeted from this very forum. So, I told him off, and he wasn't man enough to retract his false accusation and apologize, as expected.

That's all that happened. The whole stupid conversation can be seen for all on twitter. He had a total melt-down because I questioned his headline. And journalists are always telling me to "have thick skin" and "accept criticism" respectfully. I guess they didn't teach ol' Christian Araos that in J-school.

Wasn't that information in a press release the team sent out? Or you had the details before the release?

it's all on Twitter. Don't make us relive it here

View attachment 5301

No, I get that. My question was, he said he broke a piece of news -- congrats to him, that's always a fun feeling for a reporter. But I was under the impression the team put the information out via press release.

There's a difference between breaking a piece of news and being the first one to post it on Twitter. That's all I'm asking -- which one was it?

Reactions: Ulrich
No, I get that. My question was, he said he broke a piece of news -- congrats to him, that's always a fun feeling for a reporter. But I was under the impression the team put the information out via press release.

There's a difference between breaking a piece of news and being the first one to post it on Twitter. That's all I'm asking -- which one was it?

Here was the original information from the press release the day before the event that Dan Dickinson cited that every member on the press mailing list got (he's no longer a member of soccer press as far as I know, but he hasn't removed himself from mailing list):

"FOR PLANNING PURPOSES Contact: ****************

July 11, 2016 ************************

TOMORROW: MAYOR DE BLASIO, NEW YORK CITY FC, US SOCCER FOUNDATION AND ADIDAS TO MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT ON NEW COMMUNITY INITIATIVE

New York, NY – Tomorrow, New York City FC will join with Mayor de Blasio, the U.S. Soccer Foundation and Adidas to make an announcement on a new community initiative.

Following the speaking program, New York City FC players, Head Coach and Sporting Director will run mini soccer games with children from the Soccer for Success youth program.

DATE/TIME: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM

LOCATION: Millbrook Playground, Media Entrance: 161-167 Cypress Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454

WHAT: New York City FC, Mayor de Blasio, the U.S. Soccer Foundation, and Adidas Make Announcement on New Community Initiative

WHO: Mayor Bill de Blasio

New York City FC President Jon Patricof

New York City FC Coach Patrick Vieira

New York City FC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna

New York City FC Forward David Villa

New York City FC Midfielder Frank Lampard

New York City FC Defender Jason Hernandez

U.S. Soccer Foundation President Ed Foster-Simeon

Adidas Head of Soccer Ernesto Bruce"

As you can see, nowhere on the announcement does it say anything about "50 fields in under-served areas in NYC". It said an announcement would be made. I talked to my connected source, and I put out what the announcement was about 2 hours after this was released:

So, I spoiled the surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else did instead of me given enough time (Like NYCFC Fan and Dave Martinez often do), but I got to it first. That's how "breaking news" works!

So, according to your definition, I think I broke that news! And it's not about "feeling good", or whatever... honestly, I'm not a "scoops" reporter anyways, although I sometimes break news and probably will again in the future.
This was about Araos 1) Lying and saying I "stole" the "50 fields" (Kind of important) info from this forum (and also made a cunty remark about me getting my info "from the internet"), and not being man enough to retract that accusation and
2) More importantly for you fans, so that you guys can know that when I talk about my source who says "NYC stadium isn't a matter of 'if' but 'when'", and "That the Mayor wants the stadium to happen" and that he is "a big a fan of NYCFC and soccer in general", that you guys have a reason to believe me. You have a very good reason to be hopeful. I know I am.

I understand that my reputation for accurate sourced information isn't so great, and there's some good reason for that, especially recently. But, my sources have also steered me right in the past, and this one did again 2 days ago. Just something to keep in mind when people carelessly talk about how you can't believe anything I say.

But, anyways, people will believe what they want. ZYanksRule ZYanksRule, and whoever else, let me know if you have any more questions. And props to NYCFCfan NYCFCfan for reportedly giving me credit for breaking that news on BlueCityRadio (I haven't listened yet, but I will soon). Everyone knows he and his partner at @NYCFCNation are #1 in the scoops department, so it's cool of him to acknowledge that.

Here was the original information from the press release the day before the event that Dan Dickinson cited that every member on the press mailing list got (he's no longer a member of soccer press as far as I know, but he hasn't removed himself from mailing list):

"FOR PLANNING PURPOSES Contact: ****************

July 11, 2016 ************************

TOMORROW: MAYOR DE BLASIO, NEW YORK CITY FC, US SOCCER FOUNDATION AND ADIDAS TO MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT ON NEW COMMUNITY INITIATIVE

New York, NY – Tomorrow, New York City FC will join with Mayor de Blasio, the U.S. Soccer Foundation and Adidas to make an announcement on a new community initiative.

Following the speaking program, New York City FC players, Head Coach and Sporting Director will run mini soccer games with children from the Soccer for Success youth program.

DATE/TIME: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM

LOCATION: Millbrook Playground, Media Entrance: 161-167 Cypress Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454

WHAT: New York City FC, Mayor de Blasio, the U.S. Soccer Foundation, and Adidas Make Announcement on New Community Initiative

WHO: Mayor Bill de Blasio

New York City FC President Jon Patricof

New York City FC Coach Patrick Vieira

New York City FC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna

New York City FC Forward David Villa

New York City FC Midfielder Frank Lampard

New York City FC Defender Jason Hernandez

U.S. Soccer Foundation President Ed Foster-Simeon

Adidas Head of Soccer Ernesto Bruce"

As you can see, nowhere on the announcement does it say anything about "50 fields in under-served areas in NYC". It said an announcement would be made. I talked to my connected source, and I put out what the announcement was about 2 hours after this was released:

So, I spoiled the surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else did instead of me given enough time (Like NYCFC Fan and Dave Martinez often do), but I got to it first. That's how "breaking news" works!

So, according to your definition, I think I broke that news! And it's not about "feeling good", or whatever... honestly, I'm not a "scoops" reporter anyways, although I sometimes break news and probably will again in the future.
This was about Araos 1) Lying and saying I "stole" the "50 fields" (Kind of important) info from this forum (and also made a cunty remark about me getting my info "from the internet"), and not being man enough to retract that accusation and
2) More importantly for you fans, so that you guys can know that when I talk about my source who says "NYC stadium isn't a matter of 'if' but 'when'", and "That the Mayor wants the stadium to happen" and that he is "a big a fan of NYCFC and soccer in general", that you guys have a reason to believe me. You have a very good reason to be hopeful. I know I am.

I understand that my reputation for accurate sourced information isn't so great, and there's some good reason for that, especially recently. But, my sources have also steered me right in the past, and this one did again 2 days ago. Just something to keep in mind when people carelessly talk about how you can't believe anything I say.

But, anyways, people will believe what they want. ZYanksRule ZYanksRule, and whoever else, let me know if you have any more questions. And props to NYCFCfan NYCFCfan for reportedly giving me credit for breaking that news on BlueCityRadio (I haven't listened yet, but I will soon). Everyone knows he and his partner at @NYCFCNation are #1 in the scoops department, so it's cool of him to acknowledge that.

OK, then well done. That's all I was asking -- and I wasn't attacking you.

So NYCFCfan NYCFCfan is this 50 fields story the news you said would break this week? Or should we all still be holding our breath for something to come out by Friday(ish)?
Nope, wasn't mine and I didn't hear about it until the day before just like you guys.

Anyways, in the interest of transparency, and because I want you all to share my frustration, I'll update you all.

I heard back today, actually I had to prod for the information that was promised to me this week, my update was me basically being told: 'yeah, don't have it yet, need more time'

As you can imagine I'm not too happy about that answer as I've been waiting MONTHS. The good news is there was a yet.

So there's a chance I'm getting more information at a later date. I won't say when, so as to not raise anymore red flags, but it's supposed to be before the end of the regular season. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

TL;DR: I was told to keep waiting even more. I'm now very aggravated.

OK, then well done. That's all I was asking -- and I wasn't attacking you.

I didn't think you were. Happy to clear that up for you, I know it can be confusing, especially with different people accusing people of different things.

Now, I'm just waiting for Goodfella Goodfella to bring me my "Superstar Reporter 1#" ribbon and I'll be flying down to Disney Land.

Nope, wasn't mine and I didn't hear about it until the day before just like you guys.

Anyways, in the interest of transparency, and because I want you all to share my frustration, I'll update you all.

I heard back today, actually I had to prod for the information that was promised to me this week, my update was me basically being told: 'yeah, don't have it yet, need more time'

As you can imagine I'm not too happy about that answer as I've been waiting MONTHS. The good news is there was a yet.

So there's a chance I'm getting more information at a later date. I won't say when, so as to not raise anymore red flags, but it's supposed to be before the end of the regular season. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

TL;DR: I was told to keep waiting even more. I'm now very aggravated.
Maybe because the news that they had to give before no longer applies....due to a better relationship with the mayor after today's announcement. And now.....they are working on the details of making Etihad Island happen!

#confirmed
#mobilepost

Honestly, I think it's because of incompetence.
Oh I'm sure, I'm just hearing what I want to hear/believe...

XgMxw.gif

Not NYCFC related, but interesting stadium news.

The Ft Lauderdale Strikers of the NASL are going to be leaving their home stadium of 40 years for this CRICKET stadium. We obviously get a lot of shit for playing in a baseball stadium, but this is on another level. Who even knew there was a cricket specific stadium in this country?

CentralBroward10_1ec8abc4-5056-b3a8-498880bfbed1b07d

It could always be worse. Look at at the state of some of the stadiums in the NASL. Strikers in a cricket park, Armada in a minor league baseball stadium, Cosmos in terrible situation at Hofstra (Probably moving into a baseball stadium with an artificial surface at MCU Park in Brooklyn) and Miami FC playing on one of the worst turf fields you'll ever see. Our situation isn't so bad in perspective.

Last edited: