Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Having 40k seats in an SSS in NYC makes you one of the gems of the soccer universe. And I would go to stuff there I wouldn't otherwise.

I think you're fighting the hypo with the in/out element.

There will also be plenty of concerts when tbere are no sporting events scheduled. Having a brand new open 40,000 seat stadium in NYC makes you one of the gems of the music touring industry.

its 100% about money. our stadium is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and nycfc is going to use it probably less than 30 times a year. look at all the ways that the yankees and mets both use their stadium and they get to use it at least 81 times a year.

the other thing is growth. we could probably do well in a 25 to 30k stadium but that is short sighted. cfg bought this team because they believe soccer is going to take off in popularity. most of us became sth to get in on the ground floor. the only way i am happy with a 25 to 30k stadium is if we have the option to expand later.

NYCFC games, High School games, College games, USMNT/USWNT games, other sports potentially like lacrosse, concerts, festivals, training camps/clinics, charity events, and the occasional bar mitzvah

NYCFC games, High School games, College games, USMNT/USWNT games, other sports potentially like lacrosse, concerts, festivals, training camps/clinics, charity events, and the occasional bar mitzvah

8 years till my daughter is bat mitzvahed. I wonder if we'll have our stadium in time.

It's called the Boosters Club at each school. Trust me, those folk get zinged with money "requests" all the time, and they pretty much have to chip in to hold their seats.

New expansion, get the boosters to pay for it. New coach, get the boosters to buy out the old one's contract. New practice facility, get the boosters to pay for it.

Depends upon the school. The bigger ones make enough money from boosters, TV and tickets that they can self fund a big expansion. Others need to subsidize. Since booster donations are tax deductible, there is a subsidy in that way too. Still, I think the general point holds. The disposable 80,000 seat pro sports stadium is an artifact of government subsidies for stadiums and a cartel on franchise creation. The strange financial model of the NFL, which shares revenue from ticket sales, but not luxury boxes, doesn't help - the result is rebuilding with ever more luxury boxes.

If the NYCFC has had a 29,000 average attendance in a BASEBALL stadium and in a DISASTROUS season the last year, SURELY we can fill a 40,000 SPECIFIC SOCCER STADIUM. And I think that we will play the CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND THEN ALSO THE LIBERTADORES in next years.......

Reactions: Ulrich
If the NYCFC has had a 29,000 average attendance in a BASEBALL stadium and in a DISASTROUS season the last year, SURELY we can fill a 40,000 SPECIFIC SOCCER STADIUM. And I think that we will play the CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND THEN ALSO THE LIBERTADORES in next years.......
i BELIEVE you should realize LAST season was also OUR first ever, so THE numbers might be skewed a BIT. the shine wears off.

Reactions: sbrylski
i BELIEVE you should realize LAST season was also OUR first ever, so THE numbers might be skewed a BIT. the shine wears off.
His point was that we played in a baseball stadium with crappy sight lines to the field and suffered through an awful season record. Non-STH sitting 60m from the field aren't going to find it that enjoyable watching a bad team. Hence the small drop in attendance. A good team this year that hopefully becomes the norm, coupled with intimately designed seating, will enhance the experience for all spectators and there will definitely be a big bump from that.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I don't think an average fan cares terribly if its at YS or a SSS as much as they do good/bad performance and you don't really know your season is shot till the final third (you always hold out hope). I think using 29k at YS in season 1 is a bad proxy for 40k in a SSS for season 9 (maybe?). Do I think there will be shiny new toys to draw people into a 40k stadium, yes sure, the new stadium in and of itself will be enough. But I just wanted to point out the fallacy of making projections off of what is surely an outlier year. But what i really really really wanted to do more then anything was capitalize random words, cause who doesn't love CAPS!

Reactions: FootyLovin
I don't think an average fan cares terribly if its at YS or a SSS as much as they do good/bad performance

I think there's plenty of fans of European football that don't come out simply because of the stigma of matches being played on a jerry-rigged baseball field. SSS would increase attendance irrespective of performance. Solid performance would only further increase it

whelp, if we sellout a 40k stadium consistently I am prepared to eat crow in 8-10 years. Long dated, vague bets that i can slink away from are exclusively the type I like to make.
Another variable to consider is MLS' loosening of their purse strings. If expansion fees are going to $200M/each, then we should anticipate additional DP/TAM type players and possibly an overall increase in salary Cap for the non-Garber Bucks type player. Higher quality rosters will definitely translate to increased attendance.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Do we get to play in the Copa Libertadores? I thought it was only for COMMEBOL teams but then Liga MX teams also get to participate so I don't know what's what.

Do we get to play in the Copa Libertadores? I thought it was only for COMMEBOL teams but then Liga MX teams also get to participate so I don't know what's what.

no....however there was talk of a copa of the americas at club level having like 40 something teams of concacaf and conmebol.....though i think it has cooled off since i havent heard anything on it lately.

there was a time though that DC united took part in copa sudamericana twice i think . which ( to me at least) is the second biggest club tourney in south america

no....however there was talk of a copa of the americas at club level having like 40 something teams of concacaf and conmebol.....though i think it has cooled off since i havent heard anything on it lately.

there was a time though that DC united took part in copa sudamericana twice i think . which ( to me at least) is the second biggest club tourney in south america
Can you imagine the travel fatigue from participating in that?!?

Can you imagine the travel fatigue from participating in that?!?

true....that was my biggest argument against it....imagine a vancouver vs boca juniors lol

i think one of the articles mentioned it would be restricted to each confederation until the final....which kind of defeats the purpose.....just do a two leg series between concacaf champions league winner vs copa libertadores winner.

CCL games will get lower attendance that our non-weekend MLS regular season games, unless it's the late knockout rounds.

Reactions: Goodfella