Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Stern is a lifelong democrat with a great resume with legal, executive and business experience that grew the NBA into a true global brand. I personally think he would be a great candidate for mayor. Might have to pull a Bloomberg and become a Republican-In-Name-Only to get past the unions in the primary though.

Reactions: Kjbert
This is thinking very far ahead, but in October home games (Yanks ain't making the playoffs) or if we get a home game in the playoffs (if because typical city) do you think they expand the size of the pitch since they dismantle the pitchers mound after the baseball season?? Also on November 12th Fordham plays a football game there. That's going to destroy the field/possibly leave horrible yard lines on the field. All of this just came to my mind watching Mets/Yanks at the stadium while getting annoyed that some baseball fan is sitting in my season seats. I'm crazy, I know. We need a stadium. Or at the very least updates.

I am sure they were thinking about 2016 Portland Timbers attendance in 1926 ;).
Ok, just this once I'll give them a pass on the original baseball stadium, but when the Timbers converted the stadium from baseball to soccer, they should have gone bigger than they did. It's not like they simply plopped a soccer field in the middle of the stadium like CFG/Yankees did...

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This is thinking very far ahead, but in October home games (Yanks ain't making the playoffs) or if we get a home game in the playoffs (if because typical city) do you think they expand the size of the pitch since they dismantle the pitchers mound after the baseball season?? Also on November 12th Fordham plays a football game there. That's going to destroy the field/possibly leave horrible yard lines on the field. All of this just came to my mind watching Mets/Yanks at the stadium while getting annoyed that some baseball fan is sitting in my season seats. I'm crazy, I know. We need a stadium. Or at the very least updates.

That's actually a great thought. I guess they could expand the feild's width. But then the question arises do we want to expand it? We've shown that our style of play works better on a wider pitch by looking at our away results. However, we have been performing better at home as of late. Could we have figured out our own quirky home pitch? If so, that's an advantage in our favor we may want to keep.

Reactions: twsj91
Ok, just this once I'll give them a pass on the original baseball stadium, but when the Timbers converted the stadium from baseball to soccer, they should have gone bigger than they did. It's not like they simply plopped a soccer field in the middle of the stadium like CFG/Yankees did...

Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20. When the Timbers came into the league, average attendance had been stagnant around 15k-16k for like a decade and the Galaxy were the only team really breaking 20k. They were able to convert it very cheaply which had more to do with altering the field than it had to do with seating.

Providence-Park.jpg
How big could the Timbers go with Providence Park?

Right now it's capacity is 22,00. People seem to the that adding a second tier of seats above the east side (the side in the foreground of that picture, where that little roof is) could add another 10,000 seats. That seems a bit high to me but assuming it's true that would only take them to 32,00. Add the 3500 from this expansion they're planing to do now and you have 35,500.

From what I understand they have a 13,000 people long waiting list for season tickets so that would just about be covered with these two expansions but assuming the sport keeps growing and they continue grow in popularity in Portland it stands to reason that they need to be thinking about their options for even further expansion.

Could they build a second bowl where that bigger roof is? Would they need to build a supporting structure for that over the sidewalk? I don't know but I'm curious. If anyone here is a structural engineer, amateur or otherwise, please shed some light on this topic. Or maybe it's too off topic. I don't know.

I don't think he issue is he pitchers mound. It's the corners.
That was always my take.

Feel free to straighten me out, but it seems to me they never did that thing with the removable mound, because there doesn't seem to be enough room in the left field corner.

Reactions: Kjbert
View attachment 5499
How big could the Timbers go with Providence Park?

Right now it's capacity is 22,00. People seem to the that adding a second tier of seats above the east side (the side in the foreground of that picture, where that little roof is) could add another 10,000 seats. That seems a bit high to me but assuming it's true that would only take them to 32,00. Add the 3500 from this expansion they're planing to do now and you have 35,500.

From what I understand they have a 13,000 people long waiting list for season tickets so that would just about be covered with these two expansions but assuming the sport keeps growing and they continue grow in popularity in Portland it stands to reason that they need to be thinking about their options for even further expansion.

Could they build a second bowl where that bigger roof is? Would they need to build a supporting structure for that over the sidewalk? I don't know but I'm curious. If anyone here is a structural engineer, amateur or otherwise, please shed some light on this topic. Or maybe it's too off topic. I don't know.

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2016/...-they-will-come-the-future-of-providence-park

That was always my take.

Feel free to straighten me out, but it seems to me they never did that thing with the removable mound, because there doesn't seem to be enough room in the left field corner.

I think this is generally correct. We can't go longer. We might be able to wider without the mound, but perhaps not a lot wider given that the corners are already pretty tight. We've all seen pictures of the exhibitions they've done with European clubs where the mound was removed, but I'm not sure how much extra room it brought.

Remember that the regulation FIFA pitch is 70-80 yards. We are at 70. Every other MLS pitch is 73-75 (with most 13/20 at 75), except for Montreal, which is 77. Point being that we don't need to add a lot of extra width to be in line with the rest of the league.

Just to be complete, regulation length is 110-120 yards. We are 110 yards, but so are a couple of other teams. More than that are at 120, and the rest are scattered in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam