Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
A few interior pictures for perspective.

Below is the view of the East stands near 18th street. Seems to be room to add on the sides without even going up. You can also see the stands behind goal on the side with the athletic club. That's where they want to build in a couple thousand seats, which makes all the sense in the world.

JELD-WEN-Field-01.jpg

Here is a view of the West stands. Not much room to grow there. Apparently concourse space is a problem.

-d3aaaafa2655a70e.jpg

The main stands that start on the West side and loop around to the opposite corner.

1401978747-Providence%20Park.jpg

JELD-WEN-Field-01.jpg

providence-park.jpg

Despite the challenges, it is such a cool stadium. So much character. A bucket list trip for sure.

experiencing it myself and passing it by everyday i was there i concur.....and yes make a trip out there totally worth it.

View attachment 5499
How big could the Timbers go with Providence Park?

Right now it's capacity is 22,00. People seem to the that adding a second tier of seats above the east side (the side in the foreground of that picture, where that little roof is) could add another 10,000 seats. That seems a bit high to me but assuming it's true that would only take them to 32,00. Add the 3500 from this expansion they're planing to do now and you have 35,500.

From what I understand they have a 13,000 people long waiting list for season tickets so that would just about be covered with these two expansions but assuming the sport keeps growing and they continue grow in popularity in Portland it stands to reason that they need to be thinking about their options for even further expansion.

Could they build a second bowl where that bigger roof is? Would they need to build a supporting structure for that over the sidewalk? I don't know but I'm curious. If anyone here is a structural engineer, amateur or otherwise, please shed some light on this topic. Or maybe it's too off topic. I don't know.

*right click save pic* love that picture.

thats the only article i could really find that mentions it...nothing on the mls website

Wikipedia says it is 70x110, so it must be true! On the page for MLS Stadiums, they list the size of the pitch at each one.

I recall that on one of the TV broadcasts early last year, the color announcer (Lalas? Twellman?) actually paced off the yardage and said it was 70.

Reactions: Kjbert
Wikipedia says it is 70x110, so it must be true! On the page for MLS Stadiums, they list the size of the pitch at each one.

I recall that on one of the TV broadcasts early last year, the color announcer (Lalas? Twellman?) actually paced off the yardage and said it was 70.
It was Lalas.

thats the only article i could really find that mentions it...nothing on the mls website

The only place where it's officially documented is in the FIFA rules handbook. They only come in paper copies and Blatter sells them at $1 mil each. If you want to up your payment by a few digits FIFA will give you 10 copies and let you host a WC in your country.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
4,956 @ RBA last night for RBNJ v Antigua GFC (Guatemala). Tickets were free to RBNJ STH. Worth noting it was same night as RM v Bayern @ MetLife

View attachment 5502

Speaking of Real & Bayern game...I was fortunate enough to go and had decent seats, through work. What an incredible atmosphere. It was packed. It goes to show, it doesn't matter the size or location. If the product is good, people will come. I know these are two very special teams and a novelty game...but product/content is king.

This is muy off topic but West Ham just played their first game in their new stadium. It was a Europa League qualifying match game against Domzale, a Slovenian team.

8Fu3eM1.jpg

How many people were at the Red Bulls Champions League game again?

This is muy off topic but West Ham just played their first game in their new stadium. It was a Europa League qualifying match game against Domzale, a Slovenian team.

View attachment 5508

Wow. Pretty uninspiring for a brand new stadium. Do they share with a cricket team or something? What's with that massive space between the stands and the field? People at the top of the upper deck must be sooooo far away.

EDIT:
Ah, I see. They took over the main stadium from the London olympics. Pretty cool what they've done to it, actually.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-the-london-olympic-stadium-from-2012-to-wes/

View attachment 5508

Being so far away from the fans will seriously affect the atmosphere at the stadium. Will sound carry? Will the players be able to celebrate?

More room for bubbles.

They should just put bubble machines in the area between the pitch and the seats and when a goal is scored, the entire stadium fills with them.

Also, I remember from the 2012 opening ceremonies that there were LED panels between all the seats that would illuminate in patterns and words. That would be dope if they kept them and could use them for games. You could tifo anything without the need of paper. Going green.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know. Atmosphere at PSG games is pretty solid and they also play in a repurposed track and field stadium: https://goo.gl/images/Zl5uzA

PSG has a stadium where the overhang over the players' heads holds the sound in, whereas the Olympic Stadium angles it out into the open air above the stadium. People don't think about the sheer amount of sound lost when the roof is angled such that sound is lost, not retained.