Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I think this is generally correct. We can't go longer. We might be able to wider without the mound, but perhaps not a lot wider given that the corners are already pretty tight. We've all seen pictures of the exhibitions they've done with European clubs where the mound was removed, but I'm not sure how much extra room it brought.
what you gained from the few yards, you would lose in corner space

Does Portland control the buildings behind the far goal? I assume it's their office space.

Natural take would be to remove all of that to add more seating. That would probably have to be part of a larger plan to build a training facility with offices? I don't know if they have a dedicated facility yet.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Also, I wouldn't worry about the football game on November 12. That is a FIFA match weekend, and it sits between what will probably be the end of the conference semi-finals and the first game of the conference finals. Last year, the league took this weekend off, and I would expect the same. If we are still playing, that would leave 1-2 weeks before we would need it.

Does Portland control the buildings behind the far goal? I assume it's their office space.

Natural take would be to remove all of that to add more seating. That would probably have to be part of a larger plan to build a training facility with offices? I don't know if they have a dedicated facility yet.

No its a privately owned athletic club

Reactions: Kjbert

I believe it isn't owned by them, at least not yet. Part of it is a gym, if I remember correctly from being in the away supporters section which is right next to that building.

Looked it up, its called the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Regarding Providence Park, getting more people in there has to be a priority in Portland. They could sell up to 40,000 per game. Problem is that the site is pretty tightly surrounded by streets and other buildings. There is a building at one end that houses the Multnomah Athletic Club. If it were moved, that would open up space for 10,000 or so pretty easily, but that's easier said than done. The club has 22,000 members, is the largest indoor athletic club in the world, and has a long history (founded 1891).

To build on the sides (which, let's face it, would create the best seats) would require moving a road or building very close to or over it. The idea seems to be to build up on the 18th street side, where there is a little more room. Maybe they can get this done without encroaching on the street? If not, nobody wants to build over the street due to safety/security concerns (although maybe this gets handled by shutting it down on game days). There is also no place to move it.

Regardless, this is a landmark venue. It is 90 years old, has more charm than anywhere, and has a lot of history. Among other things, Pele played his last game there in the NASL Soccer Bowl.

image.jpeg

A few interior pictures for perspective.

Below is the view of the East stands near 18th street. Seems to be room to add on the sides without even going up. You can also see the stands behind goal on the side with the athletic club. That's where they want to build in a couple thousand seats, which makes all the sense in the world.

JELD-WEN-Field-01.jpg

Here is a view of the West stands. Not much room to grow there. Apparently concourse space is a problem.

-d3aaaafa2655a70e.jpg

The main stands that start on the West side and loop around to the opposite corner.

1401978747-Providence%20Park.jpg

JELD-WEN-Field-01.jpg

providence-park.jpg

Despite the challenges, it is such a cool stadium. So much character. A bucket list trip for sure.

What if they blew out the two corners? If the rest of the stadium goes right to the street, it seems that by making the stadium a rectangle would allow for thousands more seats. Problem is that this changes the structure and adds $$$ to any project.

MAC also built Providence Park, but the city owns it now. Any work done on the south side needs to be approved by the MAC. There is also a stupid provision that the city requires the pitch be visible from the street.

I think they can easily add seating, but the other big issue is the lack of restrooms, concessions, and room for people to move around. They actually dont use some of the seats because of a lack of restrooms/space.

From what I have read from Portland supporters on BigSoccer over the years, the athletic club building is essentially untouchable. They may be able to work out a way to squeeze in a few extra small sections, but moving/altering the club in any way is a non-starter for a whole host of mostly obvious reasons.
Secondly, due to the age of the stadium I guess expanding or making any changes whatsoever is extremely more complicated than in a normal stadium for all sorts of building/fire code, historic preservation, city bylaws (remember, Portland is weird) and all sorts of other things. As EganSoccerWords derek_villa said, they have actually had a little extra seating available for years but had been unable to use it. I think I remember them finding a way to slightly increase capacity either this year or last, but making any significant changes or additions is probably going to be just as complicated as it will be for us to find a site in the City.

I think this is generally correct. We can't go longer. We might be able to wider without the mound, but perhaps not a lot wider given that the corners are already pretty tight. We've all seen pictures of the exhibitions they've done with European clubs where the mound was removed, but I'm not sure how much extra room it brought.

Remember that the regulation FIFA pitch is 70-80 yards. We are at 70. Every other MLS pitch is 73-75 (with most 13/20 at 75), except for Montreal, which is 77. Point being that we don't need to add a lot of extra width to be in line with the rest of the league.

Just to be complete, regulation length is 110-120 yards. We are 110 yards, but so are a couple of other teams. More than that are at 120, and the rest are scattered in between.
NYCFC says 70, other teams that have measured it say 68. Maybe it's hyperbole and maybe it's true.

Remember that the regulation FIFA pitch is 70-80 yards. We are at 70. Every other MLS pitch is 73-75 (with most 13/20 at 75), except for Montreal, which is 77. Point being that we don't need to add a lot of extra width to be in line with the rest of the league.

The problem is, we may not even be at 70 yards. We have heard all of the speculation that the field is short from players/coaches, but I remember during one of the broadcasts this season, the announcers (can't remember if it was Yes, away team feed, or national network) stated that the field was only like 68 yards, and stated it as if it was a fact. So it seems highly likely that the field may not even be within regulation.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
The problem is, we may not even be at 70 yards. We have heard all of the speculation that the field is short from players/coaches, but I remember during one of the broadcasts this season, the announcers (can't remember if it was Yes, away team feed, or national network) stated that the field was only like 68 yards, and stated it as if it was a fact. So it seems highly likely that the field may not even be within regulation.

I've got an idea. Does anyone have a golf rangefinder? We could get the distance between the two corner flags that way.

Regarding Providence Park, getting more people in there has to be a priority in Portland. They could sell up to 40,000 per game. Problem is that the site is pretty tightly surrounded by streets and other buildings. There is a building at one end that houses the Multnomah Athletic Club. If it were moved, that would open up space for 10,000 or so pretty easily, but that's easier said than done. The club has 22,000 members, is the largest indoor athletic club in the world, and has a long history (founded 1891).

To build on the sides (which, let's face it, would create the best seats) would require moving a road or building very close to or over it. The idea seems to be to build up on the 18th street side, where there is a little more room. Maybe they can get this done without encroaching on the street? If not, nobody wants to build over the street due to safety/security concerns (although maybe this gets handled by shutting it down on game days). There is also no place to move it.

Regardless, this is a landmark venue. It is 90 years old, has more charm than anywhere, and has a lot of history. Among other things, Pele played his last game there in the NASL Soccer Bowl.

View attachment 5503

See those two big empty corners along SW Morrison St? I was wondering if they could build large supporting towers like the Etihad has and then build a second bowl and support it with those two big towers via cables.

Image for reference.
etihad stadium.jpg

Everyone likes to throw around that 70 yard number out there but that is only regulation minimum for international matches. 50 yards is the minimum according to the laws of the game. MLS might have their own standards but I don't know if they are published anywhere.

Everyone likes to throw around that 70 yard number out there but that is only regulation minimum for international matches. 50 yards is the minimum according to the laws of the game. MLS might have their own standards but I don't know if they are published anywhere.
According to Bondy, and confirmed officially by wikipedia:
"FIFA and MLS standards mandate a minimum width of 70 yards and a minimum length of 110 yards for the field. Both the Yanks and NYCFC have been saying all along the field meets those standards. Coach Jason Kreis has told reporters several times that this is not something he wishes to discuss, and that it is not a factor in these games."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/bondy-yankee-stadium-field-costs-nycfc-article-1.2165994
“It’s 68 by 106,” said Peter Vermes, the Kansas City coach. “We knew the field was small and wanted to take advantage. It was more like a corner kick.”

Reactions: adam and Kjbert