Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
As far as I know they have no formal claims over the site. It's more that they're a large interest with a lot of relationships at the city and state level that could jeopardize a stadium deal if they really wanted to kill it. MSG did the same thing with the proposed West Side Stadium back in 2005.
I think the issue with the original proposal to build over the fountain is that we would have needed to use their parking lots. I'm not sure if they own them or just have first dibs and they were either refusing or planning to charge us a ridiculous rent.Oddly, if we build in the parking lot it might be less of an issue now that their plans to use the lots for their own development have been squished.

Reactions: Kjbert
As far as I know they have no formal claims over the site. It's more that they're a large interest with a lot of relationships at the city and state level that could jeopardize a stadium deal if they really wanted to kill it. MSG did the same thing with the proposed West Side Stadium back in 2005.

That's what I thought. This is where the Yankees need to flex a bit of their own muscle. With the Wilpon deal dead, there's a vaccuum. Get out ahead of it with increased usable public parks as part of our proposal (which people seem to think is possible) and start building public support. make it hard for the Wilpons to be the bad guy.

Actually, I just remembered that the Wilpons already pitched the city on bringing in NYCFC in the past (the city turned down the offer) so they may still be willing to cut us in.

So I made this post on my fb page 7 years ago and it still holds true today. When I see someone buy billboard space to say save willets point from eminent domain I can only laugh. That place is such a shithole and has been forever. That nyt article says people come for a good deal at the auto shops. No such thing. You come looking for a side mirror, you leave needing a new axle. This place is begging for new development. Selfishly I don't care what goes in as long as it increases the neighborhoods property value, but if NYCFC can be a part of it and my childhood home price goes up, that's a double win for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.PNG
    IMG_4143.PNG
    126.9 KB · Views: 26
Coming from the 684 side of Westchester (close to the Merritt which becomes the Hutch) I am totally fine with a Citi Field location. Same distance for me. If you live close to the Hudson river, it becomes further, but for me this is great.

Ive posted this before. But just so people understand where Willets West is. And Willits Point is the area East of Citi Field. Either one gives us plenty of room. Either one allows for parkland expansion.

View attachment 7121

This is a really good attachment. Look at the size of that mall. You can put our stadium in there and convert a bunch of land back to grass and trees.

Reactions: adam and SanBartG
Coming from the 684 side of Westchester (close to the Merritt which becomes the Hutch) I am totally fine with a Citi Field location. Same distance for me. If you live close to the Hudson river, it becomes further, but for me this is great.

in the UWS here and i dont mind taking that train ride to queens as long as that 7 train works. ive done it before as ive been out there many times before and dont have an issue. its only an issue for midweek games really.

This is good stuff. Would be nice to have our stadium over at Willets West too.

Just because I like to keep you busy.
Shoulda put maybe 15 more returns in there. Just so we'd have to scroll allllllll the way down, ya know?

Reactions: Rimil
I'll admit to not following this thread very closely but regarding the whole Willets Point talk, doesn't the new LGA have plans for a new parking lot, rental car facility, and AirTrain stop in that area?

I'll admit to not following this thread very closely but regarding the whole Willets Point talk, doesn't the new LGA have plans for a new parking lot, rental car facility, and AirTrain stop in that area?

They plan to use Willets POINT for temporary parking while they renovate their lot, build AirTrain. Willets WEST should be good to go.

Even if there is a NYCFC stadium by 2026, all the World Cup stadiums in the US will be football stadium for capacity. Every stadium will be a minimum of 50K

Did the U.S. Soccer Federation say that specifically? Seems like 40K seaters have been acceptable for group stage matches at least.

Reactions: Fabio
Did the U.S. Soccer Federation say that specifically? Seems like 40K seaters have been acceptable for group stage matches at least.
Yeah, but those were in countries that didn't already have stadiums everywhere that can hold 50k+ people. I would imagine with NFL and NCAAF combined, there has to be at least 50 stadiums right now that can hold that many fans.

Yeah, but those were in countries that didn't already have stadiums everywhere that can hold 50k+ people. I would imagine with NFL and NCAAF combined, there has to be at least 50 stadiums right now that can hold that many fans.
Every NFL stadium can hit that and there are at least 30, but more likely 40-50 NCAA stadiums that meet it.

Every NFL stadium can hit that and there are at least 30, but more likely 40-50 NCAA stadiums that meet it.

The 8 largest US stadiums are college football stadiums, coincidently those 8 are the ones that have the 100k+ capacities.

Though I'd imagine we'd use NFL stadiums for the massively better facilities. Based on a wag I'd wager that the finals would be in jerry world in Dallas.

West Willets would be amazing because there's enough room in those parking lots for a stadium and a bunch of practice/academy/public fields. Build parking garages in Willet's Point.

Reactions: adam and ALBNYfan
The 8 largest US stadiums are college football stadiums, coincidently those 8 are the ones that have the 100k+ capacities.

Though I'd imagine we'd use NFL stadiums for the massively better facilities. Based on a wag I'd wager that the finals would be in jerry world in Dallas.

None of those college stadiums will be hosting a World Cup game, they're too far out of the way from major cities.

I think the finals will be in a stadium with natural grass rather than grass laid on top of turf. So, I'd put Chicago, Philadelphia, and San Francisco at the top. Though, as we saw with Copa America, it was hosted in New York. You don't put a world final in Dallas. New York or LA.