Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
The new Yankee Stadium was built on a local park, and part of the deal was that they replace all parkland that was lost in the neighborhood. The city would never agree to go back and renege on that deal, as it would be much too politically toxic. There's barely any decent space around there that they could try to pass off as a viable swap to replace the as-is replacement park either.

if we can't create space in the Bronx for a new park then I don't see how we create any space for a stadium. Maybe it was foregone conclusion that the Bronx could never happen. As a newcomer, it's still disappointing.

Reactions: Kjbert
Remember too that local citizens still feel somehow that they've been screwed even though the acerage was more than replaced and the quality upgraded. Some of that stems from the construction period, during which they were stuck with nearly nothing.

Remember too that local citizens still feel somehow that they've been screwed... Some of that stems from the construction period, during which they were stuck with nearly nothing.

Well... that was like six years that they were stuck with nothing after all. For a lot of kids in the neighborhood, that's basically the bulk of their formative years right there.

Today's the day - Willet's West is DEAD!

The club now officially has a golden opportunity - don't screw it up, guys!
Is this your area of employment or do you frequently read looooong dull looking documents for fun?

if its dead, I have to take your word on it, cause the first sentence didn't say the project is dead, and my eyes could continue down the page.

I'm part of the forum's lawyer brigade and also an avowed nerd with this kind of stuff - so the answer is yes. ;)

I'm not nearly as familiar with this as most on the forum but I'm assuming the end of Willets West provides the land needed for a stadium? Is that the crux of it? If so, why would we be more successful than the original proposal?

So people that drive in from Westchester, please chime in on how much easier and/or faster it is to get to this location than YS. Sometime in the distant future, probably before the stadium is ever completed, I'll be moving up there for a grassy yard, and Public Transit to WilletsPoint looks to be pretty long via MetroNorth+7Train.

I'm not nearly as familiar with this as most on the forum but I'm assuming the end of Willets West provides the land needed for a stadium? Is that the crux of it? If so, why would we be more successful than the original proposal?

Well, the original proposal would have dropped the stadium on the Fountain of the Planets in the actual park and would have probably meant losing true parkland and not just the "legal parkland" that is the Mets' parking lot. They had to go with that spot because the mall plan (on the parking lot) was already in the works. But now that the mall plan is dead, they can try and make a proposal to build on the parking lot instead - which still is technically parkland, so they may still need state legislature approval, but it's a lot more feasible than building smack dab in the middle of the park.

So people that drive in from Westchester, please chime in on how much easier and/or faster it is to get to this location than YS. Sometime in the distant future, probably before the stadium is ever completed, I'll be moving up there for a grassy yard, and Public Transit to WilletsPoint looks to be pretty long via MetroNorth+7Train.
If you're closer to the Hutchison or I95, it's faster. If you're closer to the Deegan or Saw Mill, it's slower. If you want mass transit, you're screwed.

It's not bad at all coming from Westchester. Either a little longer or about the same, depending on where you are coming from. I am basing this on my drives to watch the U.S. Open at Flushing. Hopefully, we get better parking than they do.

Well, the original proposal would have dropped the stadium on the Fountain of the Planets in the actual park and would have probably meant losing true parkland and not just the "legal parkland" that is the Mets' parking lot. They had to go with that spot because the mall plan (on the parking lot) was already in the works. But now that the mall plan is dead, they can try and make a proposal to build on the parking lot instead - which still is technically parkland, so they may still need state legislature approval, but it's a lot more feasible than building smack dab in the middle of the park.

Got it, thanks.

Thanks for asking this, as I'm mulling it over too.

Thanks for asking this, as I'm mulling it over too.
If you're willing to consider a grassy yard towards the end of the LIRR Port Washington line (Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington), you would roll right into the stadium. Pricy real estate to be sure, but Westchester is not exactly a bargain either.

I'm not sure this decision leaves wiggle room for another stadium on site either:

The statutory language and legislative history demonstrate that the legislation did not authorize further developments on the tract of parkland but, rather, ensured that the City was authorized to accommodate other public uses of the stadium and appurtenant facilities.

The term "appurtenant" means "[a]nnexed to a more important thing," ... or "constituting a legal accompaniment" or "auxiliary, accessory" to something else...[.] Accordingly, the clear implication of the reference to "appurtenant . . . facilities" is that any such facilities must be related to, part of, belonging to, or serving some purpose for, the stadium itself.

It may require new legislative action for us too:

Of course, the legislature remains free to alienate all or part of the parkland for whatever purposes it sees fit, but it must do so through direct and specific legislation that expressly confers the desired alienation.

That legislative action would be more likely for another stadium than mall (probably), especially with the local councilman on board, but it would still be a big hurdle.

If you're willing to consider a grassy yard towards the end of the LIRR Port Washington line (Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington), you would roll right into the stadium. Pricy real estate to be sure, but Westchester is not exactly a bargain either.
It's an option, but my wife is from CT and Westchester is a bit more familiar terrain with a better accent. Would be curious to compare the two regarding schools and taxes.

Personal opinion: stay close to family. Can't beat having help nearby.

I'm very familiar with L.I.'s market, but I can't really compare to Westchester/CT. The areas I mentioned above are known as some of the best schools on LI (GNN and Manhasset in particular), but taxes are high to very high. Feel free to DM me if you want feedback on anything LI related.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I'm not sure this decision leaves wiggle room for another stadium on site either:

It may require new legislative action for us too:

That legislative action would be more likely for another stadium than mall (probably), especially with the local councilman on board, but it would still be a big hurdle.

Agreed. If the club wants to pursue this, it would be wise to push for a concurrent bill in Albany to ensure that every possible legal avenue of attack is closed off. Usually if the local City Council member is supportive of a land use deal the state signs off without too much hassle. Of course, with a major project like this (and also being that a sitting state senator just killed the project that was supposed to go there) it may be a bit more contentious - but to be fair, every site is going to have these kinds of issues. At least here you don't have to worry about engineering logistics like cramming a stadium into the GAL space or burying train lines like you would have to do at Fresh Direct.

Reactions: SanBartG