Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Whew, was worried for a minute there! In the future though please submit walking routes to the forum with three days advance notice. I like to be prepared, ya know?
Just LoJack him and get the info in realtime.

What is the general consensus on stadium capacity? 30k? 35k? 25k?

I think a 30K, soccer specific stadium would be the premier venue to watch soccer in the USA.

What is the general consensus on stadium capacity? 30k? 35k? 25k?

I think a 30K, soccer specific stadium would be the premier venue to watch soccer in the USA.
I'd be hoping to see a capacity of between 30-35k, with room to expand to between 35-40k. It's so difficult to land a stadium site, we'll have to plan to be at the same site/stadium for a very long time so room/plans for expansion are necessary, I think.

I'd be hoping to see a capacity of between 30-35k, with room to expand to between 35-40k. It's so difficult to land a stadium site, we'll have to plan to be at the same site/stadium for a very long time so room/plans for expansion are necessary, I think.

This. I would go 32-35K. I think you want expected attendance to be about 80% of capacity so that the place looks full, but you still have room for growth and the occasional big game. You definitely need to be able to expand further for the reasons stated.

so yesterday having walked a good distance along the newton creek after parking a mile away from the waterfront for the fireworks, I am still in love with the idea of the stadium going there on borden ave. The only downside I can say is holy shit can that creek smell bad at times. I recall someone saying sometimes at rb arena when the wind blew it stunk.; I can see the same thing happening here. There was an article i read (i cant find it to link unfortunately) about nyc polluted creeks (gawanus, newton, ect.) and it had in info graphic attached about how much raw sewage gets dumped into these canals, yuk. It mentioned a guy, who in a stunt to shed light on how much sewage was still going into these canals, swam the length of the gawanus and he was like i was swimming along trying my hardest not to swallow any water whilst pushing aside floating turds (my words obviously, he was more eloquent).

Reactions: Statler and Kjbert
so yesterday having walked a good distance along the newton creek after parking a mile away from the waterfront for the fireworks, I am still in love with the idea of the stadium going there on borden ave. The only downside I can say is holy shit can that creek smell bad at times. I recall someone saying sometimes at rb arena when the wind blew it stunk.; I can see the same thing happening here. There was an article i read (i cant find it to link unfortunately) about nyc polluted creeks (gawanus, newton, ect.) and it had in info graphic attached about how much raw sewage gets dumped into these canals, yuk. It mentioned a guy, who in a stunt to shed light on how much sewage was still going into these canals, swam the length of the gawanus and he was like i was swimming along trying my hardest not to swallow any water whilst pushing aside floating turds (my words obviously, he was more eloquent).
Those waterways are Superfund sites..... The smell may be the least of our worries with the fumes that radiate from their murky depths....

TBH, I would care more about the ability to expand and renovate in the future than initial capacity. Can you imagine the shit show when we outgrow the stadium and are looking for another site? Ideally something around 25k with the ability to expand 10-15k is probably overly optimistic.

I'd say 30k max to start but maybe 26-28k is more realistic. Attendance is down almost 5k from last season. I know we have some big home games coming up (SEA, TFC, RB) but that isn't going to help us catch up.

Reactions: Kjbert
TBH, I would care more about the ability to expand and renovate in the future than initial capacity. Can you imagine the shit show when we outgrow the stadium and are looking for another site? Ideally something around 25k with the ability to expand 10-15k is probably overly optimistic.
I'd say 30k max to start but maybe 26-28k is more realistic. Attendance is down almost 5k from last season. I know we have some big home games coming up (SEA, TFC, RB) but that isn't going to help us catch up.

Ulrich Ulrich is doing his best to not go on a rant about the costs of expanding after the fact, versus building now for the future.

Ulrich Ulrich is doing his best to not go on a rant about the costs of expanding after the fact, versus building now for the future.

I'm not sure there even needs to be talk of expansion. This team can't retain season ticket holders. I'd love to get a hold of numbers for season ticket holders, single game tickets buyers, and day of game buyers. I think the numbers would be troubling.

Was going to ignore discussion of expansion until you tagged me.... If we are banking on future expansion being timely and easier, we should just go ahead and sit on a cattle prod.

I'm not sure there even needs to be talk of expansion. This team can't retain season ticket holders. I'd love to get a hold of numbers for season ticket holders, single game tickets buyers, and day of game buyers. I think the numbers would be troubling.

I think having our own stadium could help turn the tide on attendance. But I still wouldn't plan for more than 28k. I seriously doubt we would ever need more than that with the exception of a few matches per year and increasing your capacity and cost to accomodate those games for the additional seats to remain empty for the rest of the season doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Im sure the team has already hired a consulting agency to figure out why the drop off, but my two cents are that the weather has sucked his year for the casual attendee and a segment of STH canceled because of no stadium. Red and tired of YS. The first can't be helped, although a roof could to some degree, but the second would change with progress on a stadium. Maybe not immediately while we're still at YS, but once the new place opened, there would be a surge in STH wanting to grab a seat to hold on to.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think having our own stadium could help turn the tide on attendance. But I still wouldn't plan for more than 28k. I seriously doubt we would ever need more than that with the exception of a few matches per year and increasing your capacity and cost to accomodate those games for the additional seats to remain empty for the rest of the season doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

it will improve with a stadium since i know a few who dont go as much or cancelled ST because of it....now it does not mean it will skyrocket in STH or attendance to 35K each game...but for sure a couple of thousand for sure.

Im sure the team has already hired a consulting agency to figure out why the drop off, but my two cents are that the weather has sucked his year for the casual attendee and a segment of STH canceled because of no stadium. Red and tired of YS. The first can't be helped, although a roof could to some degree, but the second would change with progress on a stadium. Maybe not immediately while we're still at YS, but once the new place opened, there would be a surge in STH wanting to grab a seat to hold on to.

I guess weather and lack of info on a new stadium can hurt but the fact that we have a great team sound serve to counteract that to some degree. I'm so high on this team and I think they put out a great product that is good value and family friendly. I just wish others knew about it. That's City's biggest challenge. Expanding footprint.

it will improve with a stadium since i know a few who dont go as much or cancelled ST because of it....now it does not mean it will skyrocket in STH or attendance to 35K each game...but for sure a couple of thousand for sure.
Not to mention that news of a stadium deal being reached and a stadium being built will means LOTS of publicity and a lot more casual fans becoming aware of the team. Right now, they're in the shadow of the Yankees. Plus, a big stadium construction site would be like one giant billboard for the duration of construction.