Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Also a smaller stadium will increase STH sales for the reasons people have been discussing. Single game tickets are too easy to get right now. That makes selling extras hard for STHs. So people drop their ST plans, which opens more seats, which makes selling harder, etc. Once they announce a stadium for real with a definite timeline STHs will jump as people will want priority. And then if the bowl is small enough STH's will stay comparatively high. Make the bowl too big, and though STH will probably be higher than now, they might be lower than a smaller capacity stadium would have.

I'm willing to book unlimited action that NYCFC will not be playing in a new SSS within the 5 borough limits of NYC in the 2020 season. Seriously, message me if you want to make an actual bet.

I'm also certain that short of an MLS cup win, there will be meaningfully fewer season ticket holders in 2018 vs. 2017. There are too many week night matches, and tickets are plentiful and always cheaper on the secondary market. I am a Founding Member, but I now believe the flexibility of not having season tickets outweighs the benefits of Cityzens points.

Reactions: NickFromAstoria
Also, don't forget that, other than the sideline seats, there are literally zero great seats in the current setup. There are many good seats and few really bad ones, but no great ones. That impacts demand.

Seats at the halfway line in both the first and second levels on both sides of the field would be in significant demand in a new stadium regardless of capacity or empty seats. The first 10 or so rows all around the field would be in high demand. Seats right behind the goals at YS are either $150 a piece or in the supporter's section, pretty far away from the action.

So they could build a 30k seat stadium, not fill it, and still have a much better resale market for good seats than they have today.

Seats at the halfway line in both the first and second levels on both sides of the field would be in significant demand in a new stadium regardless of capacity or empty seats.

But those will be the most expensive seats in the new stadium. I expect 20-30% increase on current prices for the new stadium.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
And we're still seeing a downward trend (see Seth's chart above). I do expect this trend to reverse at some point (as I'm sure we all do), but do we want to be 40% vacant on average to kick off the new stadium?
Depends how you look at the data.
attendance-split-years-fixed.png

I split the years so I could put in trend lines per year. As you can see the first two years are almost the same, and all three years trend upwards as the season progresses. I attribute this in large part to the fact that our first four matches are in freezing weather. Can't prove that that's the cause but that's what it feels like to me. We'll have to see how the rest of this year goes of course but in warmer weather and with a good stretch run to the playoffs we could get attendance back up. Hopefully that's how it'll play out as that will cancel out the initial overall downwards trend.

A couple of notes though. 2015's trend would be more like the others if you discounted the initial burst of newness, which would also flatten out the full-span trend a good bit. And this year's trend while not suspect does need a bit of a grain of salt as it's not a full year of course. Looks good though, especially if we can go anywhere in the playoffs.

Lastly, anyone have any charting apps that A) can do things like separate trendlines on selected data rather than forcing me to copy and paste data all over the place into separate spreadsheets and B) not cost an arm and a leg? It'd be great to have a line for all three years together on top of what I have above but there's no way to do that without making layers in a graphics program and that's a large hassle to make sure everything lines up.

I'm willing to book unlimited action that NYCFC will not be playing in a new SSS within the 5 borough limits of NYC in the 2020 season. Seriously, message me if you want to make an actual bet.
That's not a very bold prediction. NYCFC could announce a site and release drawings on Monday and still might not have a stadium open in 2020.

That's not a very bold prediction. NYCFC could announce a site and release drawings on Monday and still might not have a stadium open in 2020.

I didn't say I was a sucker.

Thanks for killing my action buddy.

Here are two more predictions. Chicago is winning tomorrow and NYCFC is finishing 5th in the East this regular season.

Reactions: mgarbowski
All this stadium talk is depressing. There's not even a glimmer of hope that a SSS is coming any time soon. Can't remember who talked about the low demand making season ticket holders question keeping their plans. I'm in that boat. Why shell out full price when you can get tickets on the secondary market for 50-80% off?

If we're playing that game, I'd bet an authentic jersey with nameset that we play a game in our own stadium in the 5 boroughs by . . . . 2024. Limited to first reply.

I think attendance will be better (even in YS) post 2018 world cup, but yeah, resale this year is depressing.

But those will be the most expensive seats in the new stadium. I expect 20-30% increase on current prices for the new stadium.

They'll be more expensive and they'll be much better seats. Expensive things can be good values (halfline seats at a SSS) and cheap things can be bad values (OF halfline seats at YS).

The halfline seats were just an example. The quality/price improvement will cascade down the whole price list. I sat in upper corner seats at RBA that I would pay much more for than upper corner seats at YS.

They'll be more expensive and they'll be much better seats. Expensive things can be good values (halfline seats at a SSS) and cheap things can be bad values (OF halfline seats at YS).

The halfline seats were just an example. The quality/price improvement will cascade down the whole price list. I sat in upper corner seats at RBA that I would pay much more for than upper corner seats at YS.

Hey! I think my OF halfline seats at YS are pretty good value.

Depends how you look at the data.
attendance-split-years-fixed.png

I split the years so I could put in trend lines per year. As you can see the first two years are almost the same, and all three years trend upwards as the season progresses. I attribute this in large part to the fact that our first four matches are in freezing weather. Can't prove that that's the cause but that's what it feels like to me. We'll have to see how the rest of this year goes of course but in warmer weather and with a good stretch run to the playoffs we could get attendance back up. Hopefully that's how it'll play out as that will cancel out the initial overall downwards trend.

A couple of notes though. 2015's trend would be more like the others if you discounted the initial burst of newness, which would also flatten out the full-span trend a good bit. And this year's trend while not suspect does need a bit of a grain of salt as it's not a full year of course. Looks good though, especially if we can go anywhere in the playoffs.

Lastly, anyone have any charting apps that A) can do things like separate trendlines on selected data rather than forcing me to copy and paste data all over the place into separate spreadsheets and B) not cost an arm and a leg? It'd be great to have a line for all three years together on top of what I have above but there's no way to do that without making layers in a graphics program and that's a large hassle to make sure everything lines up.

Year-over-year trend is down. Each year's trend line is a bit lower than the season before. In-season trends have been up each year. Pretty steady from inception till now.

The upcoming Derby should be one of those outlier results like 6/28/15 and 5/21/16 that gives the year's average a bump. Still look like we're headed to the 23K-25K range for the year, and probably the high side of that range, as things continue to improve (22.7K currently).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Year-over-year trend is down. Each year's trend line is a bit lower than the season before. In-season trends have been up each year. Pretty steady from inception till now.

The upcoming Derby should be one of those outlier results like 6/28/15 and 5/21/16 that gives the year's average a bump. Still look like we're headed to the 23K-25K range for the year, and probably the high side of that range, as things continue to improve (22.7K currently).

They haven't started selling the third tier yet for tickets so it may be above 27K but not above 30K.