Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
What time of day is the LIE accessible to anything?. manhattan is to expensive, the 9.2 acre mudpit site was bought for $630 million years ago.The team will build in the bronx as originally planned or else build closer to the STH and future $. That would mean Yonkers or New Rochelle or White Plains , something along the New haven or Harlem lines. Long Island is dead as far as sports fans. MLS wants families and thats not Brooklyn. Queens is out of the way for Westchester and Fairfield county fans. Unless they build it on floating docks and move it from borough to borough
I think MLS has discovered that they indeed do NOT want families. If families come, fine. But they have only started growing when allowing franchises to ignore the pretense of it being "family friendly". Have a section for families, but dear God, do not dump money into a plan predicated on getting families to a stadium for a soccer match. It won't work. That's about the one thing we can say with certainty about footy in America. We saw where minivans and orange slices get us, and everybody realizes it's no where near where we need to be.

Families don't buy season tickets, they don't buy $50 worth of beer per person, they don't buy nearly the merchandise as single folks and DINKs or just dudes getting away. And, they make for a crap atmosphere for everyone else.

I think MLS has discovered that they indeed do NOT want families. If families come, fine. But they have only started growing when allowing franchises to ignore the pretense of it being "family friendly". Have a section for families, but dear God, do not dump money into a plan predicated on getting families to a stadium for a soccer match. It won't work. That's about the one thing we can say with certainty about footy in America. We saw where minivans and orange slices get us, and everybody realizes it's no where near where we need to be.

Families don't buy season tickets, they don't buy $50 worth of beer per person, they don't buy nearly the merchandise as single folks and DINKs or just dudes getting away. And, they make for a crap atmosphere for everyone else.

Your right familes dont buy season tickets. But myself and wife and 2 kids did as have a bunch of . My kids have home jerseys my wife and are are waiting for the away. I totally agree that in a market as large as NYC we should be able to sellout 35000 seats to beer drinking 20-40 year olds that look at me at 52 as some old fuck taking up their friends seat. When I bought my seats my kids were 13 and 17 and I was looking towards the future and see this as buying NY Giants season tickets in the 1950s. Like i said I'm 52 and doing OK . I just hope that the team does not do a PSL like the Giants and out-price the people that supported them from the start.

What time of day is the LIE accessible to anything?. manhattan is to expensive, the 9.2 acre mudpit site was bought for $630 million years ago.The team will build in the bronx as originally planned or else build closer to the STH and future $. That would mean Yonkers or New Rochelle or White Plains , something along the New haven or Harlem lines. Long Island is dead as far as sports fans. MLS wants families and thats not Brooklyn. Queens is out of the way for Westchester and Fairfield county fans. Unless they build it on floating docks and move it from borough to borough

If all they cared about were Westchester and Fairfield county fans, they would just build in Westchester. But that's a non-starter. To suggest that they would build in Yonkers over Long Island City is ridiculous. The population of Westchester County is just under one million. Kings County has over 2.5 million. I know the north has more money, but they aren't going to throw away millions of potential fans just to save Yonkers residents 30 minutes in commute time. Besides, the deepest pockets are corporate STH and sponsors, not wealthy individuals. And those are centered in Manhattan.

Long Island City is as central to the region as it gets, and can pull in fans from all over. They may still prefer The Bronx, but Queens was actually the original plan. And a LIC site would be even more central than Flushing Meadows Park. You're from Westchester County and your bias is showing.

Also, who says MLS wants families, and why would that not mean families from Brooklyn?

I wish it could be a full house of rowdy drunks ( for real) signing chants with the word fuck holding all the sentance's together

If all they cared about were Westchester and Fairfield county fans, they would just build in Westchester. But that's a non-starter. To suggest that they would build in Yonkers over Long Island City is ridiculous. The population of Westchester County is just under one million. Kings County has over 2.5 million. I know the north has more money, but they aren't going to throw away millions of potential fans just to save Yonkers residents 30 minutes in commute time. Besides, the deepest pockets are corporate STH and sponsors, not wealthy individuals. And those are centered in Manhattan.

Long Island City is as central to the region as it gets, and can pull in fans from all over. They may still prefer The Bronx, but Queens was actually the original plan. And a LIC site would be even more central than Flushing Meadows Park. You're from Westchester County and your bias is showing.

Also, who says MLS wants families, and why would that not mean families from Brooklyn?

True the Big money STH(Boothes) are in Manhattan but live in westchester and fairfield . and your wrong about my bias I would much rather see it built in the Bronx at the original site. even though its an extra stop or 2 for me off the train.

maybe but i would bet that many of the teams in Europe that have a city in their name are outside of that city. its the same here NYRB and NYJ and NYG play outside of the city limits . I think the San Francisco 49s now play 25 miles from San Francisco

You're right but the whole point of NYCFC was for it be actually be IN New York City. Think of all the knocks against the team NOT in NY in the past year. Under normal circumstances putting a stadium outside city limits happens, but in this case I think its Crucial to our credibility. On the other hand I realize that the FO has said one thing and done something else a few times already. Hopefully this has ended.

You're right but the whole point of NYCFC was for it be actually be IN New York City. Think of all the knocks against the team NOT in NY in the past year. Under normal circumstances putting a stadium outside city limits happens, but in this case I think its Crucial to our credibility. On the other hand I realize that the FO has said one thing and done something else a few times already. Hopefully this has ended.

I think most of that was on this site and trolling from some NJRB and cosmos fans

Has there been any thought about L.I.C. along Newtown Creek near the Pulaski bridge, say along Borden?

1) great little neighborhood is within walking distance...Vernon/Jackson, with good bars and restaurants.

2) the area south of LIE is separated from the neighborhood by the highway, providing some protection for local residents. Plus, south of LIE is an industrial area a la Willets Point, which makes it more politically palatable, and probably easier to negotiate property acquisition.

3) Existing highway infrastructure: Easily accessible off the L.I.E. with a little exchange work to get an on/off ramp onto Borden Ave around 21st St. Central from all directions...from Bx & points north via RFK or Whitestone to GCP to BQE; from Brooklyn/SI via BQE; from Manhattan right out of the midtown tunnel or 59th St bridge; from East Queens/LI you can take the 495.

4) Great mass transit accessibility as-is. Metro North to GCS and your 1 or 2 stops on the 7 train. Bronx or Manhattan, east side or west side lines take you to the 7, and again, you're right there. Brooklyn G train gets you walking distance. LIRR goes right to Hunterspoint or LIC terminal.

No other location save Manhattan is as mass transit friendly for people coming from all directions. It is way better for mass transit purposes than the Bronx, which is a full trip into city center and then back out of city center, for anyone coming from queens/bklyn/LI (which is about half the population). Bronx works great for mass transit if you're in the Bronx, Manhattan, or Westchester, but not otherwise.

I know that area pretty well, and would love for the stadium to go there, but I'm not sure there's a 10-acre contiguous space potentially available.

Reactions: Kjbert
I know that area pretty well, and would love for the stadium to go there, but I'm not sure there's a 10-acre contiguous space potentially available.
I'm no expert here, but thats exactly what I thought. Where would the stadium go? Most of that rail has to stay to feed all the different lines. Where would a stadium fit? On top?

I'm no expert here, but thats exactly what I thought. Where would the stadium go? Most of that rail has to stay to feed all the different lines. Where would a stadium fit? On top?
I think just reading through what we have discussed in this thread that NYCFC is going to have to get creative. This stadium if/when it gets built will not just be a regular run of the mill stadium. There will be engineering/design obstacles, and that will only add to the uniqueness of the stadium. I can see a stadium built above rail lines, or something to that extent, just due to circumstance. I would be very surprised if we got everything we needed out of a stadium/training grounds without doing something spectacular (which City is totally capable of).

Your right familes dont buy season tickets. But myself and wife and 2 kids did as have a bunch of . My kids have home jerseys my wife and are are waiting for the away. I totally agree that in a market as large as NYC we should be able to sellout 35000 seats to beer drinking 20-40 year olds that look at me at 52 as some old fuck taking up their friends seat. When I bought my seats my kids were 13 and 17 and I was looking towards the future and see this as buying NY Giants season tickets in the 1950s. Like i said I'm 52 and doing OK . I just hope that the team does not do a PSL like the Giants and out-price the people that supported them from the start.
I think your kids have aged out of the minivans and orange slices crowd. When people have young kids, their social plans often depend on carting those kids around to various functions. That makes coming to matches difficult. Like I said, have a family friendly section. But I don't think the way to reach the market that will make NYC become known as a great MLS city is via targeting families.

I think your kids have aged out of the minivans and orange slices crowd. When people have young kids, their social plans often depend on carting those kids around to various functions. That makes coming to matches difficult. Like I said, have a family friendly section. But I don't think the way to reach the market that will make NYC become known as a great MLS city is via targeting families.
Veering slightly OT but 13-17 year olds need less minding but if anything they need more driving around than younger kids. At 17 they might start becoming more transportation-independent but that's not a given.
Circling back, the significantly lower ticket price of MLS matches makes it much more family friendly. That plus having a family section is probably the right balance.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
For those who know more about the 10 acre scenario, does 10 acres cover the stadium only? It couldn't feasibly cover the stadium and offices and training right?