Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
This article is hardly ammunition to fight the proposal. The community gets a windfall if it happens - that area becomes super developed like Bkln or Long Island City: waterside park and promenade, more housing, medical facility, additional business space both for offices and street-side (restaurants, bars, amenities), a possible free boarding school, etc.

The proposal isn’t a selfish landgrab, it’s very altruistic for the community. People opposing it will look self-serving and stupid.

Yeah, the only sources of revenue seem to be 150K square feet of retail space, 550 apartments that look to have price/rent caps, whatever is generated from the 1K kids, and the stadium. Granted the land is essentially "free", but they really will need to fill the stadium with some other matches/activities to make the finances work.

It was a joking manner without confirming or denying anything.

If I see him in Portland, oh boy!
What’s interesting is that this is coming right on the heels of the round table I attended, where he said 26k, and two sites are very active that he feels good about (big smile). Obviously this site has been in play for over a year, but the timing of the round table and these leaks are way too close together to just be a coincidence. I’m allowing myself to be rightfully excited.

Yeah, the only sources of revenue seem to be 150K square feet of retail space, 550 apartments that look to have price/rent caps, whatever is generated from the 1K kids, and the stadium. Granted the land is essentially "free", but they really will need to fill the stadium with some other matches/activities to make the finances work.
Those 1k kids at the soccer academy will produce quite a bit of revenue when they land transfers.

[I’m not kidding]

What’s interesting is that this is coming right on the heels of the round table I attended, where he said 26k, and two sites are very active that he feels good about (big smile). Obviously this site has been in play for over a year, but the timing of the round table and these leaks are way too close together to just be a coincidence. I’m allowing myself to be rightfully excited.

Do you think we could see some sort of announcement at the training facility official opening next week? You'd think all the head honchos will be there.

Do you think we could see some sort of announcement at the training facility official opening next week? You'd think all the head honchos will be there.
No idea, but the training facility day was mentioned at the round table and I’m now pissed they didn’t offer spots up since I wasn’t in the 80 from yesterday.

Reactions: Kjbert and Jon
The event I was at last week, he mentioned there were two really strong sites, and a third in play. He did mention that they felt very confident in announcing stadium plans by the end of the year (also with a big smile). In terms of capacity, he only mentioned that the question was, how big does the stadium go. Paraphrasing here, but he was saying it in a rhetorical question, do we build it at 25k? do we build it at 30k? Some people say you're thinking too small and why not 50k?

The event I was at last week, he mentioned there were two really strong sites, and a third in play. He did mention that they felt very confident in announcing stadium plans by the end of the year (also with a big smile). In terms of capacity, he only mentioned that the question was, how big does the stadium go. Paraphrasing here, but he was saying it in a rhetorical question, do we build it at 25k? do we build it at 30k? Some people say you're thinking too small and why not 50k?
He said the same thing at mine (but 40k). I’d be surprised if the stadium can’t be expanded, and it makes me wonder about the roof. It looks like either fabric or a plastic material. If fabric, it’d be much easier to disassemble for expansion, not that disassembling a solid surface couldn’t be done, it’s just (more) time & money.

When this gets built, there’s gonna be so much envy from RB fans, it’s gonna be lit!!!! And fcking-A, the club will have pulled off something that obviously RB couldn’t do, but the Jets couldn’t do. That’s crazy!

so the earliest the project is awarded Sep/ Oct 2018 at the earliest? i was going to ask this too since the article didnt really mention timeline
The Governor's Primary is September 13th, so I think September 5th-6th sounds about right for a formal announcement if this is real. This is the first one that feels real.

The Governor's Primary is September 13th, so I think September 5th-6th sounds about right for a formal announcement if this is real. This is the first one that feels real.

all the detailed given in that article makes it "real" , i still think willets point is still real just that its been hush hush or barely anything out there...in terms of details

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Sabo
Cuomo would lock my vote up faster if he’d announce this now. The longer he waits, the more pissed I’ll be if this goes to shit with the club loses the Proposal process.... sitting on the announcement is playing with a lot of people’s (voting) emotions.

all the detailed given in that article makes it "real" , i still think willets point is still real just that its been hush hush or barely anything out there...in terms of details
WP is probably still real, but when I asked JP about construction timetable at the round table, he mentioned lots of variables in consideration with one being possible remediation of a site. I took that to refer specifically to WP. My guess is they don’t want that headache unless they have to.

Serious question. Does anyone think we may build a short term minded stadium? Let's say they want one of the Citi field area sites or some other grand plan that may take an extra 5-10 years. Do they build a stadium now with a 5-15 year projection and continue pursuing their moonshot stadium?
The first stadium would still have value and being in NYC, probably enough to make building a short term stadium viable. Especially if the short term alternative is the expense and limitations of Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: Ulrich
What'd I tell you about Populous not being involved!

This is so good. The closer to Manhattan the better, and right on my line! Walkable from 3rd/138th and Grand Concourse. 2 will serve the west side. There's a lot to like here except the parking, which might be an issue.

I have a feeling parking

Calling this one now: The club gets into a partnership with Rugby United New York (new club who will begin play in Major League Rugby next year. They are currently playing at Gaelic Park up near van cortlandt park in the Bronx. They will then share the ground with us.

I think more than anything they're hedging on the political approvals needed. Willet's is a City project while the Harlem Yards is State project. Related is the developer for both sites.

Serious question. Does anyone think we may build a short term minded stadium? Let's say they want one of the Citi field area sites or some other grand plan that may take an extra 5-10 years. Do they build a stadium now with a 5-15 year projection and continue pursuing their moonshot stadium?
The first stadium would still have value and being in NYC, probably enough to make building a short term stadium viable. Especially if the short term alternative is the expense and limitations of Yankee Stadium.

This is a one shot deal. When I had a round table with Patricof before the season started it was very clear that they want to construct a stadium with the ability to expand somewhere down the line.

I think more than anything they're hedging on the political approvals needed. Willet's is a City project while the Harlem Yards is State project. Related is the developer for both sites.
Why not have both? Obviously this site is “ours” for the near future, but eventually: 26k seat stadium for NYCFC HQ, women’s pro team, USL side. WP mega-stadium for NYCFC first team and WC finals?

Edit: I don’t advocate this, but if Money is no object...... really just spitballing off your idea.

I think this is right. The club is pursuing both sites, and probably using each as leverage against the other, both to get (1) approval as soon as possible, and (2) the best possible terms. Which is not a guarantee that either comes through, but things seem less vaporous now than ever before.