Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
So I don't feel like going back through all of these new pages to find the original post and quote it, but there is a pedestrian bridge over the Bronx kill from Randall's Island to the Bronx. It's under the Hellgate Bridge (it's a little out of the way from the stadium site).

Hellgate Bridge connects Queens to Randall’s Island (over East River). We need a small bridge over Bronx Kill to the Bronx. BTW, who named these things? And why have they not been renamed like half of NYC since I was a kid taking the Interborough to the Triborough to the East Side Highway?

AA624288-ADD3-45E7-ABE1-6C4E41B95A9D.jpeg

Looking at all the details/plans etc of this project, im surprised it took this long to get out into the public domain.

Could be 2023 until nycfc move in, but lets hope it gets the go-ahead.
Just goes to show that it's possible that, even if it looks like it all quiet and the club is dragging it's feet, they are actually making big waves, and they can get a lot done in the dark.

I'm curious if the other of the"2 or 3 sites" mentioned by Das and others are anywhere near this advanced.

Hellgate Bridge connects Queens to Randall’s Island (over East River). We need a small bridge over Bronx Kill to the Bronx. BTW, who named these things? And why have they not been renamed like half of NYC since I was a kid taking the Interborough to the Triborough to the East Side Highway?

View attachment 8567
They built the Randall's Island Connector a few years ago. It's a small bridge under the Hell Gate Bridge connecting the island to the Bronx. https://randallsisland.org/venue/randalls-island-connector/

They built the Randall's Island Connector a few years ago. It's a small bridge under the Hell Gate Bridge connecting the island to the Bronx. https://randallsisland.org/venue/randalls-island-connector/

Thank you.

I know it's there because I watched them build it one summer while volunteering on Randall's Island.

Also, yes most people mean the East River span when they say " Hell Gate," but just like the Triborough, it's not a singular bridge. It's a system of individual spans that are connected together https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Gate_Bridge

So we have a 50% chance?

I still haven't not got a straight answer regarding why the RFP hasn't been announced.

Also, still not clear who released the documents and what the purpose of leaking it was. Was this to put pressure on securing Willets Point?

I have some experience helping design an RFP for a municipality looking to have municipal land developed to provide an economic boost to downtown. 8 figure project, not 9 or 10 like this one so its a whole different level. My take is that folks see the railyard occupying prime waterfront property. The railyard serves a vital public function and can't be moved. A few non-contiguous acres could be shaved off the parcel that aren't needed for the railyard, but nothing transformative for the area can be built on those pieces. The RFEI is prepared to see if there are viable proposals to construct a significant transformative project on and above the railyard footprint. The Muni opines which of the RFEI submissions is the best and designs the RFP to be both facially neutral and designed to pick the favored proposal. For instance, if I wanted the stadium and not a proposal that was exclusively housing I would set the minimum number of housing units at levels the stadium proposal can easily meet and also justify the desire to bring tourists to the area. I know the exclusively housing proposal won't score well or at all on the tourism point while the stadium proposal will get a high score on that point and design the RFP in a way that's both slanted to what the muni thinks is the best proposal(hopefully stadium) and is neutral and objective and can be defended through solid reasoning and evidence if there is a challenge.

My theory is that folks are working on the RFP and the RFP preparation process was the avenue through which it leaked to the real estate development blog. That's a guess based on where it was first reported.

Thanks to FredMertz FredMertz for taking an unpopular position on the forum. My first reaction to public funding for sports stadiums is always negative too, but I really like the concept at this site because of the way it adds value to the railyard footprint. Building on top of the railyard is not going to happen if the lease acquisition costs are too high because the extra cost of putting a project on a platform above the railyard wont justify both.

I have some experience helping design an RFP for a municipality looking to have municipal land developed to provide an economic boost to downtown. 8 figure project, not 9 or 10 like this one so its a whole different level. My take is that folks see the railyard occupying prime waterfront property. The railyard serves a vital public function and can't be moved. A few non-contiguous acres could be shaved off the parcel that aren't needed for the railyard, but nothing transformative for the area can be built on those pieces. The RFEI is prepared to see if there are viable proposals to construct a significant transformative project on and above the railyard footprint. The Muni opines which of the RFEI submissions is the best and designs the RFP to be both facially neutral and designed to pick the favored proposal. For instance, if I wanted the stadium and not a proposal that was exclusively housing I would set the minimum number of housing units at levels the stadium proposal can easily meet and also justify the desire to bring tourists to the area. I know the exclusively housing proposal won't score well or at all on the tourism point while the stadium proposal will get a high score on that point and design the RFP in a way that's both slanted to what the muni thinks is the best proposal(hopefully stadium) and is neutral and objective and can be defended through solid reasoning and evidence if there is a challenge.

My theory is that folks are working on the RFP and the RFP preparation process was the avenue through which it leaked to the real estate development blog. That's a guess based on where it was first reported.

Thanks to FredMertz FredMertz for taking an unpopular position on the forum. My first reaction to public funding for sports stadiums is always negative too, but I really like the concept at this site because of the way it adds value to the railyard footprint. Building on top of the railyard is not going to happen if the lease acquisition costs are too high because the extra cost of putting a project on a platform above the railyard wont justify both.
Why did it take you three days to write such an important post???

Cute little bridge, but it's not under the Hells Gate Bridge, that's the one on the SE of the Island connecting Astoria. It's under the Randalls Island Connector. But if the Bronx Kill is as shallow as the depth charts say, and that bridge was sufficient, should be easy to build another one like this on the NW corner of the Island. That would be perfect. Good for kids too who might be at the Academy and have to get to a pitch on RI. We can keep with the theme and even name it Daemon Bridge, Cursed Bridge, Poison Bridge, or something...

Screenshot 2018-04-19 20.29.14.png

Reactions: Christopher Jee

View attachment 8567
There is a foot/bike bridge over the Bronx Kill -- it's just not where you would want it. The Bronx side lets out about a mile from the stadium to the East.

If you've ever been on the southeast corner of Randall's by the bridge, you'd know why Hell Gate is a perfect name that should never be changed. The surf is insanely choppy there even when there's no wind, so back in the day sailors thought is was like sailing through the gate of hell. It's apt in modern times too, because when the wind is just right, the smell of garbage coming from who knows where is like the 7th circle of hell.

We can keep with the theme and even name it Daemon Bridge, Cursed Bridge, Poison Bridge, or something...

View attachment 8568

Bridge of Death

giphy.gif

There is a foot/bike bridge over the Bronx Kill -- it's just not where you would want it. The Bronx side lets out about a mile from the stadium to the East.

If you've ever been on the southeast corner of Randall's by the bridge, you'd know why Hell Gate is a perfect name that should never be changed. The surf is insanely choppy there even when there's no wind, so back in the day sailors thought is was like sailing through the gate of hell. It's apt in modern times too, because when the wind is just right, the smell of garbage coming from who knows where is like the 7th circle of hell.

Exactly. That’s the one in my google street view. Called the Randall’s island connector. We need another small foot bridge built on the NW corner of the Island. It’s a 1-2 foot draft at low tide, not used for navigation, the street view bridge shows it’s just a flat walking path. Shouldn’t really be a problem at all to build.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Exactly. That’s the one in my google street view. Called the Randall’s island connector. We need another small foot bridge built on the NW corner of the Island. It’s a 1-2 foot draft at low tide, not used for navigation, the street view bridge shows it’s just a flat walking path. Shouldn’t really be a problem at all to build.
Just curiously, unless they built parking on Randall's Island, why would you want to be able to walk there from the stadium?

Just curiously, unless they built parking on Randall's Island, why would you want to be able to walk there from the stadium?

I guess if another pedestrian bridge was built over the Bronx Kill and was closer to the stadium you could park early and go play soccer with your kids over on Randall's Island. Then walk back before the game started.

I guess if another pedestrian bridge was built over the Bronx Kill and was closer to the stadium you could park early and go play soccer with your kids over on Randall's Island. Then walk back before the game started.
I hate to be a FredMertz FredMertz but I'm guessing the park would not want anything to do with us!

Reactions: Jon
Cute little bridge, but it's not under the Hells Gate Bridge, that's the one on the SE of the Island connecting Astoria. It's under the Randalls Island Connector. But if the Bronx Kill is as shallow as the depth charts say, and that bridge was sufficient, should be easy to build another one like this on the NW corner of the Island. That would be perfect. Good for kids too who might be at the Academy and have to get to a pitch on RI. We can keep with the theme and even name it Daemon Bridge, Cursed Bridge, Poison Bridge, or something...

View attachment 8568
Randall's Island Connector is the footbridge. The rail bridge over Bronx Kill was never called the connector.

Reactions: adam