Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Hey, you know what's funny? A rich sports team can spend money to buy fresh sod from, say, businesses which specialize in growing, cutting, selling and even shipping said sod to any destination necessary.

The fact that YS and/or our club and/or CFG didn't take a look at the shit state the sod was in and think "hey, maybe we should buy some sod that's not shit" is rrrreeeeaaalllll weird to me.
I'm not a groundskeeper, but I'm not sure the sod itself was the problem. You can buy the best sod on earth, if you don't/can't put it down properly, it's going to come up.

I'm not a groundskeeper, but I'm not sure the sod itself was the problem. You can buy the best sod on earth, if you don't/can't put it down properly, it's going to come up.
That's fair, but if you want the sod section to play like the rest of the field the grass should be approximately the same in terms of suppleness, right? Not dried-out brown grass.

Anyone actually know how the sod is tacked down to the infield? It's not like they just roll it out as is.
Im not going to claim to be an expert after reading this long webpage, but it gives a lot of data about plastic grown sod which it said is specifically used for indoor stadiums and covering baseball infields for soccer.

http://www.covermaster.com/Tips-from-the-Pros/Sports-Field-Sod-Part-3-Plastic-Grown-Sod.html

From what I gather, the roll of sod is supposed to have a “substantial” thickness to it with a layer of sand underneath, and it appears the length/width/thickness of the roll is what holds the field down - think of it as weight & suction holding it in place. From what I’ve seen of our infield sod, it looks pretty thin, hence able to be ripped up with a planted foot - there just isn’t much there to resist.

It also appears (there’s a pic) that the infield should be striped of a few inches so the composite thickness can be laid even with the outfield. I seriously doubt the Yankees allow that to take place even though replacing/compacting the infield would not be a rocket science endeavor.

Also, considering how brown our sod looks, it lends credence that the thickness is minimal as the brown is possibly either the infield showing through or the sod is prematurely dying, which is itself concerning since it was just laid. As the article illustrates, this “material” is meant to grow over a plastic surface, so there’s zero reason for it to be brown by the time of kickoff. This would suggest that the Yankees ground crew is not installing the optimal material, or has no idea how to install/maintain it.

Anyone actually know how the sod is tacked down to the infield? It's not like they just roll it out as is.

were you not there on saturday? at half time the grounds crew literally brought out two rolls of this sod and replaced two pieces of the infield sod. they started doing something to it ( looked like sand around it and smashing it down) to be "ready" for the second half.

at this rate i can only assume thats what they did to begin with.

Reactions: Jon
Maybe that one more sign that we might actually get stadium news. The grounds crew stopped giving a shit because they were told soon they wouldn't have to deal with this shit anymore.

Reactions: The Toe
I was in FMCP this morning for a half marathon which was right around the Pool of Industry that Garber wanted to raze for a SSS. Coming right off the 7 down the ramps to the stadium would have been awesome. Damn that this got killed years ago.

Could have completely revitalized the park - I believe part of the proposal was to redo the soccer fields around it. Would have been amazing. People are playing soccer there on Saturday morning at 7 am.

West End Stadium - Cincinnati

Latest Renderings

BSbxQfM.jpg

Wn15fjd.jpg

Last edited:
I was in FMCP this morning for a half marathon which was right around the Pool of Industry that Garber wanted to raze for a SSS. Coming right off the 7 down the ramps to the stadium would have been awesome. Damn that this got killed years ago.

Could have completely revitalized the park - I believe part of the proposal was to redo the soccer fields around it. Would have been amazing. People are playing soccer there on Saturday morning at 7 am.

It was really misguided opposition. Most of space the stadium replaced would have been that fetid old pond. The team would have paid to greatly upgrade facilities all around the park. win-win.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
It was really misguided opposition. Most of space the stadium replaced would have been that fetid old pond. The team would have paid to greatly upgrade facilities all around the park. win-win.

USTA was behind the opposition, they funded the protests. Wanted that area all to themselves. It wasn't misguided at all. In fact, it was very calculated.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
USTA was behind the opposition, they funded the protests. Wanted that area all to themselves. It wasn't misguided at all. In fact, it was very calculated.
It was calculated on their part but incredibly misguided. Having a stadium in the adjacent park is a win-win, since it’d upgrade the park’s fields, bring additional exposure to the area that could be new ticket buyers for the tennis, and increase the overall patronage of the park making it a safer, more user friendly destination. I’d bet that 17+ matches in the stadium, plus the countless rec games on the fields, would produce a higher content of usage during the year than what the USTA gets for the Open and yearly tennis facility memberships.