Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Let's keep this on Stadium Discussion topics please! Which includes. anything and everything that is and isn't a stadium.

Here's an interesting topic, what thing would you want in a stadium that a current MLS team doesn't have? A dedicated kids playground? In seat ordering? Retractable roof?

I like the Plaza around the Etihad. I haven’t seen that kind pre-game for families at any other mls stadium. RBA comes the closest.

Would be great if the stadium is somewhat below ground like Camden Yards. Noise reverberates better.

All the food and drink shouts are great.

Outlets/USB at every seat. Actual Wi-Fi.

I think some of the best features would be architectural or engineering related.

classic foods at reasonable prices ala Atlanta
I don’t think that’s going to happen. At the city hall event earlier this year Sims was pretty skeptical of this model in response to a fan question. Basically said he didn’t believe you'd make up in volume what you lose in profit per item. Didn’t address or respond to potential knock on effects of better prices—increased ticket sales, easier for families, better experience leading to increased loyalty, etc. Seems the team hasn’t really considered a change in strategy in this regard.

Diverse food options; classic foods at reasonable prices ala Atlanta; better beer selection.

There's so much that has already been done, I just want the best sight lines possible, reasonably-priced food and beer, and comfortable seating. I don't mind getting up at halftime to get some food or a beer, but I understand that ordering from your seat is nice, especially with kids.
I will add, an outdoor/outside of stadium bar would be great for nice days.

I don’t think that’s going to happen. At the city hall event earlier this year Sims was pretty skeptical of this model in response to a fan question. Basically said he didn’t believe you'd make up in volume what you lose in profit per item. Didn’t address or respond to potential knock on effects of better prices—increased ticket sales, easier for families, better experience leading to increased loyalty, etc. Seems the team hasn’t really considered a change in strategy in this regard.

Great that Brad is approaching the issue with an open mind and trusting his instinctual best guess over an actual example that suggests he's wrong.

Great that Brad is approaching the issue with an open mind and trusting his instinctual best guess over an actual example that suggests he's wrong.

His job is to squeeze revenue out of all of us and all of the sponsors. Not surprised by the answer. It does show a lack of understanding of the fan base. Which doesn’t surprise me either.

That’s kinda annoying if he really framed it as “he doesn’t believe”. I’d hope they’ve commissioned actual consulting firms to study the issue to understand the delta between Price Point and fan numbers, and how that translates to the potential for increased knock-on effects (that you mention). If they’re making decisions in the CFG/Yankees(Legends) vacuum, then they’re not doing their due diligence.

Hey, I agree that the Atlanta model is better. To be fair to Brad, though, his view is that the industry opinion is Atlanta is inflating the numbers as a matter of good press — said that basically everyone in the stadium / catering business is skeptical, and that if it really worked in terms of actually increasing concessions revenue then of course they’d all do it.

Now, I think the knock on effects I mentioned should be very worth the exchange even if you take a loss on concessions revenue, but he’s at least not shooting entirely from the hip in rejecting the model.

Hey, I agree that the Atlanta model is better. To be fair to Brad, though, his view is that the industry opinion is Atlanta is inflating the numbers as a matter of good press — said that basically everyone in the stadium / catering business is skeptical, and that if it really worked in terms of actually increasing concessions revenue then of course they’d all do it.

Now, I think the knock on effects I mentioned should be very worth the exchange even if you take a loss on concessions revenue, but he’s at least not shooting entirely from the hip in rejecting the model.
They could have bagged it for this season if it wasn't working.

Reactions: Kjbert

I went to a rays game a few weeks ago. Paid $6 for a hot dog and $11 for a 24oz beer. I was done eating st this point. The friend I went with is a STH and halfway through the game brought us up to the club section area that’s STH only. They have cheaper food options and free popcorn.
I ended up eating 2 more hot dogs because they were only $2 and got 2 more beers since the 24oz cans there were $9.
If the Rays priced their hot dogs at $2 throughout the entire stadium they would of lost money on me or broke even. Chances are I wouldn’t of purchased 3 at $2.
I definitely drank more but I feel like people can only eat so much. If you cut prices in half you would need people to eat twice as much to gross the same from them but at a smaller profit.

I will add, an outdoor/outside of stadium bar would be great for nice days.
I agree. A micro-brewery attached to the stadium would be awesome, similar to Mikkeller Brewery at Citi Field and Coney Island Brewery at MCU Park. Something that can be open on non game days or an awesome pre/post game spot for a few beers with friends.

I think the real payoff for teams who offer cheap food and drink is not concession volume but bodies in the building. Several NFL teams are experimenting with this model for that reason. The added value of going to a game compared to watching from home has decreased so much some teams can't fill their seats.
Atlanta United has a stadium that seats, what, roughly 35k or 70k depending on how many decks they open? It's worth breaking even on food to sell a few thousand more tickets.

Atlanta United has a stadium that seats, what, roughly 35k or 70k depending on how many decks they open? It's worth breaking even on food to sell a few thousand more tickets.

The “sell cheap food to get more butts in seats” model works for a 50k stadium trying to sell tons of tickets. Doesn’t work for a 25k stadium - not enough potential seats to make up lost revenue on concessions with increased ticket revenue.

That said, the number one thing is better beer and food options. I went to Citi last week for a Mets game and it reminded me how much better the experience is. Mikkeller is an amazing pre-game hang - who serves their own beer in the stadium - and there are areas that have a huge selection of local brews (think Interboro, LIC, etc.)

Not to turn this into a beer thread but the chances of getting that with legends running concessions is about zero. Goose Island yayyyyyy.

There is a gorgeous cocktail bar behind the scoreboard at Oracle Park in San Francisco where the Giants play. How can we work one of these into a new stadium :D

cut.jpg

There is a gorgeous cocktail bar behind the scoreboard at Oracle Park in San Francisco where the Giants play. How can we work one of these into a new stadium :D

cut.jpg

It's a question of best use of space. I don't think we'll have the amount of space like the Giants do for this and several other ticketed locations with a luxury space like Legends, Champions, Delta, etc. at Yankee Stadium.

If you have the stands elevated, you may be able to put this underneath. Though, I don't know if this is the best for soccer. With baseball, you're not always watching the game.

cut.jpg
Oh, that’s nice.

Now I’m trying to imagine the Yankee Stadium equivalent :-(

It's a question of best use of space. I don't think we'll have the amount of space like the Giants do for this and several other ticketed locations with a luxury space like Legends, Champions, Delta, etc. at Yankee Stadium.

If you have the stands elevated, you may be able to put this underneath. Though, I don't know if this is the best for soccer. With baseball, you're not always watching the game.
Ha yeah not practical for us, but one can dream!

Avaya is built with elevated stands so all of the suites are field level. I’m honestly not sure if I like it or hate it.

wen_IMG_0191.jpg

I went to a rays game a few weeks ago. Paid $6 for a hot dog and $11 for a 24oz beer. I was done eating st this point. The friend I went with is a STH and halfway through the game brought us up to the club section area that’s STH only. They have cheaper food options and free popcorn.
I ended up eating 2 more hot dogs because they were only $2 and got 2 more beers since the 24oz cans there were $9.
If the Rays priced their hot dogs at $2 throughout the entire stadium they would of lost money on me or broke even. Chances are I wouldn’t of purchased 3 at $2.
I definitely drank more but I feel like people can only eat so much. If you cut prices in half you would need people to eat twice as much to gross the same from them but at a smaller profit.

You have to play with the pricing -- yours was an extreme and unlikely scenario as the club has built the hot dog subsidy into the price of the club tickets and not many people spend time in both areas over the course of a game.

Concession food profit margins are ridiculous, so you don't need a huge bump in sales. The profit dollars (not margin) on 2 dogs sold at $4 is significantly higher than 1 dog at $6 and there are a lot of people (esp families) that will spend a lot more with that kind of break. You also can tier the pricing -- sell premium crap to those that want it and barebones crap to those who want it.

If you experiment with the pricing and get it right, you can drive higher profit dollars for sure.