Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I believe that she is just tweeting a follow-up update from the poster I republished earlier in the week from the FB Supporters Page. I won’t give his name as that’s technically a private page, and in any event, I don’t know him personally so I can’t add any flavor as to credibility, etc.

They still won’t let me on there :tearsofjoy:

Edit. Billy still won’t let me on there :tearsofjoy:

At this point they just have to finish sorting out what approvals they need from whom, given the particulars of the site. The regulatory process is byzantine. There are also significant engineering challenges, but those at least are straightforward.

I am curious about the GAL site, all I had heard to this point was movement on the Harlem Yards site. Are we sure that is dead in the water?

edit: Thanks sundance, guess it might be, although plans do change sometimes

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and JohnB
Can someone smarter than me enumerate the engineering challenges of the proposed site?

Is it just the street and the train station?

I am curious about the GAL site, all I had heard to this point was movement on the Harlem Yards site. Are we sure that is dead in the water?

edit: Thanks sundance, guess it might be, although plans do change sometimes
I was wondering about that earlier last week. Some “announcement” (if we call the rumors that) mentioned within a mile south ofYankees stadium. GAL is a quarter mile at best. Harlem Yards is slightly more than a mile - seems like a real possibility as whomever said such was possibly/probably using a typical-world rounding down as the exact distance didn’t matter to their content delivery.

As a separate note, of the double-take recognition variety, I was in a meeting this week and in the middle of an explanation of something by another party at the mtg, they mentioned GAL elevator co. No, it had zero to do with a sale of their building/site. No, it wasn’t a soccer related mtg. It was purely coincidental (yes, shockingly was elevator related), but the party did confirm that the GAL they were referring to was the Bronx elevator company.

Reactions: JohnB and Kjbert
Can someone smarter than me enumerate the engineering challenges of the proposed site?

Is it just the street and the train station?
Yes, but "just" doesn't quite cover it.

GAL-photo.png

GAL-map.png

The train station has four tracks at ground level and two platforms. Not sure those can be lowered to be underground though as we're right on the water and not sure where the water table is. Not to mention future flooding concerns. There's also quite a number of highway ramps on multiple levels as well. Essentially the stadium might need to be on a platform that's six stories up in the air if the ramps can't be moved. In addition, it's not a large site either. An Avaya-sized stadium would fill the site, and a Red Bull Arena-sized one would overrun it, and that's only the stadium; no plazas, no parking, no room anywhere outside the building.

So sure, it's possible to shoehorn a stadium into the space, but there are challenges.

Yes, but "just" doesn't quite cover it.

GAL-photo.png

GAL-map.png

The train station has four tracks at ground level and two platforms. Not sure those can be lowered to be underground though as we're right on the water and not sure where the water table is. Not to mention future flooding concerns. There's also quite a number of highway ramps on multiple levels as well. Essentially the stadium might need to be on a platform that's six stories up in the air if the ramps can't be moved. In addition, it's not a large site either. An Avaya-sized stadium would fill the site, and a Red Bull Arena-sized one would overrun it, and that's only the stadium; no plazas, no parking, no room anywhere outside the building.

So sure, it's possible to shoehorn a stadium into the space, but there are challenges.
Would be very NYC to build up when you can't build out tho :smile:

I always just assumed if we were at this location that the Cromwell Ave. ramp would be taken out, the train would be diverted a bit. Look at Macombs Dam Park. That's a full-sized soccer pitch. That, plus the walls/seats around it? Would easily fit, no need for any plazas or things like that bc we have all the parks around it, there's no need for those. Here's my idea of what it would look like, maybe even rotate it a bit to get it out of heritage park:
Rp1wvDb.jpg

if it that spot, its gonna be one of those funky looking stadiums where half of it has two levels and the other has like one or an open space like avaya

I always just assumed if we were at this location that the Cromwell Ave. ramp would be taken out, the train would be diverted a bit.

The state just spent about 2.5 years from 2016-18 (and unknown $$) rebuilding the Cromwell Avenue ramp. It would not be the first time work was done only to be almost immediately demolished, but I don't think you can just assume that ramp away either. It also provides the only access connecting the SB Deegan to Bronx streets between Fordham Road and 135th Street that does not require that cars make left turns on or off the Macombs Dam Bridge at an already overloaded intersection.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's doable to remove/move the Deegan entrance ramp. It is a non-starter to encroach even a teeny bit into Heritage Park.
I thought the parking garage is in play, which opens up a good amount of space.

Reactions: Kjbert
The state just spent about 2.5 years from 2016-18 (and unknown $$) rebuilding the Cromwell Avenue ramp. It would not be the first time work was done only to be almost immediately demolished, but I don't think you can just assume that ramp away either. It also provides the only access connecting the SB Deegan to Bronx streets between Fordham Road and 135th Street that does not require that cars make left turns on or off the Macombs Dam Bridge at an already overloaded intersection.

You could also reconstruct the final 200-300 feet of the off ramp adding a sharper turn that goes south over the train tracks and exits directly onto River, opening up the small parking lot on the SW corner River and 153rd for construction space.