Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
i dunno why this project wouldn't be 100% privately funded. there's no reason to take tax payer money since CFG is loaded. if they want to get it done and money is the issue, that is stupid.

politics on the other hand, is an entirely different story. maybe if we propose to build a bronx borough prison underneath the stadium and employ the convicts to man the concessions and grounds, DeBLOWsio will get on board.
I'm not sure where CFG asking for public money is coming from. I'm not saying I know that it's not the case, because I don't, but I don't see where that piece of information is originating.

The sense I get, is the one part of this where CFG could be "receiving public money" is if they were to not be liable for the bonds on the bankrupt garages. I put that in quotes as it's not currently CFG's responsibility, and there is plenty of reason to suspect that if someone else does not take over that property, then the city won't recoup those funds anyway. But I also understand how that can be perceived as a gov't handout.
Spitballing here, but public money would go towards getting all of the necessary underground utilities in place to accommodate the water mains to deliver city water and sewers to receive 30-40k people flushing the toilets. There’s also the electrical feeders to power the Jumbotron, 1million LEDs, and the in-seat WiFi food ordering system.

Now maybe the developers and CFG want to pay for that, but I bet they expect the city to ready the utilities.

i dunno why this project wouldn't be 100% privately funded. there's no reason to take tax payer money since CFG is loaded. if they want to get it done and money is the issue, that is stupid.

politics on the other hand, is an entirely different story. maybe if we propose to build a bronx borough prison underneath the stadium and employ the convicts to man the concessions and grounds, DeBLOWsio will get on board.

And fill seats too! Rikers Island Stadium confirmed!!

Reactions: moogoo
Sadly this completely explains how we could have (1) the MADD Equities project discussed in the media summer 2018, and (2) NYC FO people hinting at an announcement by year end at the same time and through early fall, plus (3) huge customer research sessions that focus on time sensitive pricing issues, yet no public progress since then. They hit a roadblock and politics seem a likely possibility.

But if the report is correct it is more than just the mayor.
Another explanation that fits all/most of these statements is that CFG doesn’t really give two shits about actually building a stadium.

Last edited:
You know, the simplest underlying circumstance that explains away every single thing mentioned above

Another explanation that fits all/most of these statements is that CFG doesn’t really give two shits about actually building a stadium.

i am starting to lean toward the 2nd reason. you'd think with the financial power of CFG, they could do it if they really wanted to. They should have the connections to get the politics in order a the right time and pay for everything AND give back to the city. basically make them an offer they can't refuse.

but we're just a side gig MLS hobby.

Let's remember that the deal that was killed by BDB in 2014 was effectively a privately funded stadium. The sticking point (as Soup reminded us) was whether the Club should also have to cover some or all of the back taxes owed to the City by the failing parking garages that would be demolished to make way for the Stadium.

The current project is supposedly more complicated, as it adds an affordable housing element as an incentive to city progressives to support the deal. Still, if CFG hasn't decided to compromise at least somewhat on the back taxes, then why is it even bothering to try again at this site?

I agree with Mark that getting to a deal that city officials can support would explain the delays. Still, I am skeptical about the news posted above. I don't think we would be this far along if the Mayor were this much of a problem.

You really think that Sheikh would put his name/brand behind something, talk about it in the media, etc without really expecting an effort to be put in to bring it to fruition?

He comes from one of the most ego-driven families in the world. Even if having a cool piece of NYC real estate is just another one of his toys, it doesn’t seem like him to want to publicly fail at achieving a goal of having it built — especially since it’s one of his most public forays into the US markets.

Opening day 2024 sounds like a reasonable prediction to me. They are still laying the political and community groundwork now. Environmental Impact Statement and ULURP can, and typically does, happen more or less simultaneously; but that probably won't get started until next spring at the earliest, let's say. EIS/ULURP process for a project of this scale and complexity will take close to a year so that brings us to spring 2021. A 3 year construction schedule sounds about right, bringing us to early 2024.

Opening day 2024 sounds like a reasonable prediction to me. They are still laying the political and community groundwork now. Environmental Impact Statement and ULURP can, and typically does, happen more or less simultaneously; but that probably won't get started until next spring at the earliest, let's say. EIS/ULURP process for a project of this scale and complexity will take close to a year so that brings us to spring 2021. A 3 year construction schedule sounds about right, bringing us to early 2024.
Attendance is gonna blow waiting another 4 years. With the loss of STH between now and 2024, fully expect the club to have parted ways with Sims by then.

Where is Bill de Blasio going next? He's termed out at Mayor of the City of New York so unless he has bigger political motivations (and it's not President of the United States that's for sure), what's stopping him from supporting a stadium proposal?

Where is Bill de Blasio going next? He's termed out at Mayor of the City of New York so unless he has bigger political motivations (and it's not President of the United States that's for sure), what's stopping him from supporting a stadium proposal?
Probably his whole “I’m a raging fucking asshole phony who literally no one of any political affiliation can tolerate.”

Attendance is gonna blow waiting another 4 years. With the loss of STH between now and 2024, fully expect the club to have parted ways with Sims by then.
The STH gift this season is going to be a card deck box with the NYCFC logo containing a full deck of those blue cards. Assuming 15k STH, that’s 780,000 new fans next season.

The STH gift this season is going to be a card deck box with the NYCFC logo containing a full deck of those blue cards. Assuming 15k STH, that’s 780,000 new fans next season.
More like

giphy.gif

I do think that once they announce the stadium, start revealing renderings, etc., that will staunch the bleeding. When they get their approvals and start construction, momentum will start to build.

The problem is the time between now and when they finally announce the stadium.

I do think that once they announce the stadium, start revealing renderings, etc., that will staunch the bleeding. When they get their approvals and start construction, momentum will start to build.

The problem is the time between now and when they finally announce the stadium.

I'm not so sure about that. We'll still be in YS. FO will still be the FO. STHs will continue to be unhappy for the same reasons and may downgrade or cancel, until seats for the new stadium are available for purchase. I think it will help get some more excitement for sure, but not sure it'll be enough to stop the bleeding.

Reactions: Ulrich
Once it's revealed to the public, the public may not like.

Reactions: moogoo