Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wow I've been wondering what was going on there. I just thought they were setting up for a festival.

Well I'm totally going to miss going to Hot Bialys on Queens Boulevard before those early matches, alas. And I'll also note that the only public transportation to Icahn is the bus from 125th Street. Also the extremely limited parking, unless they're going to address that during the renovations. It's a great bike ride over the Triboro Bridge though. (From the Queens side, not sure about the other sides.)

Update to the Icahn story (although not very many details):

I don't think this was posted: Brad Sims: 6 Million fans can't be wrong

(yes, you'll get a brick. up in the air how though)
It's so cute how he's trying to do something really nice while feeling constrained by the promise of a brick, and he explains why bricks might not be so great, and he's right, and he even mentions etching names in a wall as an option, but Brad, baby, it literally was never a freaking brick and names were to be etched in stone!

"The opportunity to have your name etched in stone and on display at our future soccer-specific stadium."

Etch the founders names in a stone slab on a freaking wall and be done with it. Then, genius, offer to sell personalized memorial bricks as keepsakes with a little stand and an acrylic shell.

The team really needs to assign a new intern to the forums. It is summer, right?

It's so cute how he's trying to do something really nice while feeling constrained by the promise of a brick, and he explains why bricks might not be so great, and he's right, and he even mentions etching names in a wall as an option, but Brad, baby, it literally was never a freaking brick and names were to be etched in stone!

"The opportunity to have your name etched in stone and on display at our future soccer-specific stadium."

Etch the founders names in a stone slab on a freaking wall and be done with it. Then, genius, offer to sell personalized memorial bricks as keepsakes with a little stand and an acrylic shell.

The team really needs to assign a new intern to the forums. It is summer, right?

To be fair to Brad, this fanbase is so fickle and jumps up and down at the slightest perceived slight, it's no wonder he's a little skittish around this topic.

I also imagine there's not a lot of institutional knowledge regarding the original promise due to all the changeover in the front office over these 10 years.

To be fair to Brad, this fanbase is so fickle and jumps up and down at the slightest perceived slight, it's no wonder he's a little skittish around this topic.

I also imagine there's not a lot of institutional knowledge regarding the original promise due to all the changeover in the front office over these 10 years.
He's clearly trying to do right by the promise. But the legend morphed into bricks so completely, even if the FO has the institutional memory they might still worry about not delivering bricks. But I think pulling up the original actual promise, fulfilling the etched in stone, and then selling bricks or stone fragments or what have you, would be accepted

He's clearly trying to do right by the promise. But the legend morphed into bricks so completely, even if the FO has the institutional memory they might still worry about not delivering bricks. But I think pulling up the original actual promise, fulfilling the etched in stone, and then selling bricks or stone fragments or what have you, would be accepted

I think your suggestion is pretty much exactly what it should be. Something engraved in/outside the stadium with everyone's name, and a keepsake available for purchase.

But the legend morphed into bricks so completely
jack black happy dance GIF

But the LEGEND....of the BRICK...was WAY HARDCORE!

Reactions: mgarbowski
D.C. United is ridiculous with how much they use that stadium. Just trying to wring every last dollar they can out of it. I doubt we will go anywhere close to what they do.
Honestly is that such a bad thing? Building a multimillion dollar facility that you fill up 17 times a year seems a bit ridiculous. Even if you add extra games like leagues cup and post season, so say 20 games, it’s still so many days it sits dormant. Why not rent it out? Give the community a place to have activities and events and make more money in the process. Seems like a win - win to me

Honestly is that such a bad thing? Building a multimillion dollar facility that you fill up 17 times a year seems a bit ridiculous. Even if you add extra games like leagues cup and post season, so say 20 games, it’s still so many days it sits dormant. Why not rent it out? Give the community a place to have activities and events and make more money in the process. Seems like a win - win to me

Sure -- with moderation because when you allow football teams, rugby games, and other events to use the field, it becomes unplayable.

That stadium hosts D.C. United, an NWSL team, an XFL team, and a USL team. That's a lot. They also had an international rugby match a couple weeks ago, plus international soccer friendlies.

I'm all for, with our stadium, having an MLS team and a NWSL team. Let's avoid playing XFL football and international rugby there on a regular basis, though.