• Etihad Field

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That does seem like overuse.

Some dual use can be done. The LA Galaxy hosted the Rams in their stadium for 2 years while the new arena in LA was being built, and I don’t recall people saying there were any issues.

That does seem like overuse.

Some dual use can be done. The LA Galaxy hosted the Rams in their stadium for 2 years while the new arena in LA was being built, and I don’t recall people saying there were any issues.
Because that's NFL money being used to maintain the field conditions.

Saving this poll and then deleting it. What should the new poll be? Nickname? If so, drop your options below...

1724090153440.png

Yeah, the nickname seemed to have already been settled. But I cannot see the front office / CFG use "the valley of ashes" in any publications about the stadium. I don't think they want the stadium / sponsors / etc. associated with "ashes" even with The Great Gatsby ideology.

On a personal note, that graph is not properly formatted.
1724094781783.png

Yeah, the nickname seemed to have already been settled. But I cannot see the front office / CFG use "the valley of ashes" in any publications about the stadium. I don't think they want the stadium / sponsors / etc. associated with "ashes" even with The Great Gatsby ideology.
That's fine. They don't have to. Third Rail can put it in a TIFO, and we can all make it an informal name. I bet the Club will eventually make reference to it in tweets, etc.

That's fine. They don't have to. Third Rail can put it in a TIFO, and we can all make it an informal name. I bet the Club will eventually make reference to it in tweets, etc.
I'm very proud that we got Pretty Pineapple into a team-made scarf / social media

I'm sure Doyle and other MLS writers will use "Valley of Ashes" because they still write "Pigeons".

On a personal note, that graph is not properly formatted.
View attachment 13476

I didn't think they would use Pigeons, either. But when fans so widely adopted it, they had no choice.

If we choose to call it the Valley of Ashes, they will eventually follow

I didn't think they would use Pigeons, either. But when fans so widely adopted it, they had no choice.

If we choose to call it the Valley of Ashes, they will eventually follow
Maybe, but my money is on your original thought: the organization wouldn't want to be associated with ashes. Too many negative connotations (burning to the ground, that kind of thing).

I wouldn't be surprised to see them quietly push for The Cube since it's the name of their on-site marketing funnel. Broadening it to encompass the entire stadium would be easy. It's also easy to say, easy to write and easy to remember.

honestly, i think whatever the sponsor will be (presumably etihad airways) and whatever they choose to call the stadium itself (e.g., field, park, stadium, etc).. that's what they will call it and that's what the media will call it. whatever nickname the fans use won't make any difference to official club publications and marketing. the media will probably follow suit and keep it simple by using the sponsor-fied name as well.

Maybe, but my money is on your original thought: the organization wouldn't want to be associated with ashes. Too many negative connotations (burning to the ground, that kind of thing).

I wouldn't be surprised to see them quietly push for The Cube since it's the name of their on-site marketing funnel. Broadening it to encompass the entire stadium would be easy. It's also easy to say, easy to write and easy to remember.
All true. Also generic and boring. And honestly that entrance is not even a cube.

I’m about to get negative but the following is a near certainty:
Within a few years of the opening the technology incorporated into the entrance will seem dated and maybe even tacky like the TV screen built into the bathroom mirror at my hotel this weekend. I’m sure it was a spiffy novelty when they installed it, but technology that dazzles first adopters usually ages poorly. As my daughter noted, they installed it because they could, not because it was a good idea. Nobody is actually looking to be surrounded by audiovisual while entering a stadium. We’re surrounded by screens everywhere. So now we’ll walk through screens covering 2 walls and the ceiling. It will clog the entrance and slow down foot traffic for a few games with a fleeting wow factor then be just a big loud video billboard to get past. Did anyone else see the immersive Van Gogh experience a couple of years ago? It was cool. There’s also a reason there’s no permanent installation, even with rotating artists.

For all that though Cube might win out.
And FWIW Valley of Ashes makes more sense for the field than the stadium as a whole.

Last edited:
I still expect fans to call it The Coop. That'll be my name for it.
Agreed. Pigeons was a safe nickname that gained traction naturally. The Coop follows that and makes too much sense.

Beyond my personal dislike of Valley of Ashes, it is too long for a nickname. The majority of nicknames for stadiums, including the best ones, are shorthand or use a one shot of a sponsor name - the Big House, Death Valley, the Swamp, Old Trafford, the Etihad, the Emirates. For the new stadium it will either be a one word reference to a sponsor or something easy to say. I'd push for the Coop early before it becomes the Etihad (west).

Reactions: FootyLovin
All true. Also generic and boring. And honestly that entrance is not even a cube.

I’m about to get negative but the following is a near certainty:
Within a few years of the opening the technology incorporated into the entrance will seem dated and maybe even tacky like the TV screen built into the bathroom mirror at my hotel this weekend. I’m sure it was a spiffy novelty when they installed it, but technology that dazzles first adopters usually ages poorly. As my daughter noted, they installed it because they could, not because it was a good idea. Nobody is actually looking to be surrounded by audiovisual while entering a stadium. We’re surrounded by screens everywhere. So now we’ll walk through screens covering 2 walls and the ceiling. It will clog the entrance and slow down foot traffic for a few games with a fleeting wow factor then be just a big loud video billboard to get past. Did anyone else see the immersive Van Gogh experience a couple of years ago? It was cool. There’s also a reason there’s no permanent installation, even with rotating artists.

For all that though Cube might win out.
And FWIW Valley of Ashes makes more sense for the field than the stadium as a whole.
Generally I agree. Classic architectural features will outlast the technological innovation of the moment. That noted, if they use the Cube technology correctly I believe it could have staying power. For those that have visited One World Observatory, the elevator display as one rises is incredibly well done and memorable. If they use the Cube for more than just advertising - fan camera, previous game highlights, scenes of Queens or NYC - then I believe the Cube could be more than just a passing novelty.