Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
The problem, for me, isn't really the 7. They can work around it. I think there are issues with folks from Westchester County and north, people in the Bronx, and many people in Manhattan. I don't know Brooklyn well, so maybe someone else can talk about that.

The best part about Yankee Stadium is how accessible it is from literally any direction, is accessible from both sides of Manhattan and has 4 separate trains that run there. That means that fans have 4 different modes of public transportation to get to the game, not including buses. Cutting that by 75% is going to stink, no matter how well the 7 runs. Everyone will be rushing to the concourse for the same train. Unless we get some bus shuttles from different parts of the city, I can see it being too hectic.

im in manhattan and i can get there just fine just one trasnfer, assuming trains work right. Though i do see the concern for anyone using the Metro north since they would have to switch the the MTA 7 train to get there ( though anyone currently coming from LIRR would probably do the same) . There would be massive overcrowding. though and that can be a problem.

Not to nit pick, but for over 50 years the METS-WILLETS POINT platform for the # 7 and other transportation options have handled crowds for the Mets and the Jets (back in the day). The 25-30K that would show up for NYCFC matches aren't going to be a problem.

Not to nit pick, but for over 50 years the METS-WILLETS POINT platform for the # 7 and other transportation options have handled crowds for the Mets and the Jets (back in the day). The 25-30K that would show up for NYCFC matches aren't going to be a problem.

assuming the MTA supplies with more service on game days, which they kinda do now with nycfc games i think with 4 and the B/D train

Reactions: Kjbert
The problem, for me, isn't really the 7. They can work around it. I think there are issues with folks from Westchester County and north, people in the Bronx, and many people in Manhattan. I don't know Brooklyn well, so maybe someone else can talk about that.

The best part about Yankee Stadium is how accessible it is from literally any direction, is accessible from both sides of Manhattan and has 4 separate trains that run there. That means that fans have 4 different modes of public transportation to get to the game, not including buses. Cutting that by 75% is going to stink, no matter how well the 7 runs. Everyone will be rushing to the concourse for the same train. Unless we get some bus shuttles from different parts of the city, I can see it being too hectic.
Queens is no worse for people coming from points north than Bronx is for people coming from LI. For the DC game I spent over an hour just crossing the Bronx from the Throgsneck. Weekday games are brutal with rush hour.

Engineering considerations aside, one reason I love the Pier 40 option is because of its accessibility via public transportation. It's not as accessible as Barclays Center, but it's a central location and pretty much everyone has to travel to get there.

As far as Brooklyn is concerned, it's the option I voted for but the reality is there's no vacant area large enough to hold a stadium that isn't parkland or cemeteries. I'm fairly confident no fan of NYCFC wants its stadium built on a cemetery.

Does this refer to the railroad overpass? If so, it would need to be moved because the Metro-North station there would be needed.
Pier 40 over everything.

I'm referring to the unlabeled highway ramp which leads to 153rd street about 50 feed north of River Avenue.

That MTA overpass just complicates everything. The MTA controls air rights, so they'd have to purchase those too one would imagine, though I don't see them moving it from where it is.

The Wilpons can't afford to build the affordable housing. They are in debt up to their eyeballs.

My question would be for Man City folks on this board - when CFG did their redevelopment in Manchester, did they become landlords too? Or did they build affordable housing and turn it over to the city?

They formed joint development companies it seems.. part owned by the CFG stakeholders, part owned by the City council. But the financing came from the CFG stakeholders

If you're counting 4 trains to YS you're including Metro North, which means you would also include LIRR to Citi. So it's 4-2 not 4-1, and 50% not 75%. Still a drop, I get it.
But I would also count the the B and D as basically express and local versions of the same line, because that's how it works for a substantial majority of relevant riders.

ITs perfect for the Roosevelt Avenue population (idk what the neighborhood is called)

Also, if they can connect the housing/shopping to mainland flushing, it would be even better

i dont think Wilets Point is making money for the city.

Eminant Domain.

I have to live along the 7 train now

It's easier for me to get to Citi Field than it is Yankee Stadium from White Plains. Same for those in Greenwich, Stamford or anyone East of 287.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
ITs perfect for the Roosevelt Avenue population (idk what the neighborhood is called)

Also, if they can connect the housing/shopping to mainland flushing, it would be even better

i dont think Wilets Point is making money for the city.

Eminant Domain.

I have to live along the 7 train now
Corona, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights.

It would probably draw more people.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
If it came down to Willets Point or keep playing in Yankee Stadium in perpetuity, obviously you go with Willets Point.

But, I can't help but think that if both the Bronx and Willets are available that there's no question that you should go with the Bronx. It's much more accessible to the major residential neighborhoods in Manhattan and is a better established area for fans. At either location, you'll make it tougher for one large population to get to a game vs another, so it's kind of a wash, but if you compare locations without anyone's travel biases, I don't really think Willets Point stacks up. Granted, maybe it will be developed into an awesome neighborhood down the road, but I'd rather take a known good commodity over something that may never happen.

It's easier for me to get to Citi Field than it is Yankee Stadium from White Plains.

How so? I lived in White Plains for a little while -- I thought it was about 35 minutes to drive to both stadiums (though both could have terrible congestion), but I could get to Yankee Stadium in well under an hour by train, but it'd take over an hour to Citi.

A lot of people here are concerned about the transportation, which I get, but people are missing the big part of this: the court's ruling is that the land can be used ONLY as a stadium. Unless there's a reversal (which the DeBlasio refusal to join in the appeal suggests is unlikely), they either use that land for a new stadium or they lose out on ALL of their investment which is substantial.

So, what stadium are you going to build there? Mets, Yankees, Nets, NY Islanders, Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls all have new stadiums there. The Knicks and Rangers just re-did MSG and aren't moving. Who's left? New York City F.C. (I mean, I guess you could also say the Cosmos, but there's no way they beat out NYCFC or have the funds required to do this).

For the first time, NYCFC finds itself in a position of LEVERAGE. Unless DeBlasio and these developers are cool on missing out on affordable housing/lots of money/development etc. etc. they HAVE to deal with NYCFC. They have NO OTHER CHOICE. The City has invested $400 Million ALREADY. The local councilwoman is already trying to make a deal happen as the nasty work of dislocation has already been done so the hard political legwork has been largely pre-done (I'll pause here to note that this was probably a stupid idea for the City to start with, and forced displacement for stadiums/malls is a terrible thing. I don't want to condone this nonsense, but only to point out that the usual fight over buying residents out/eminent domain isn't as present as it would be anywhere else, which is no small thing as NYCFC found out with the elevator company near Yankee Stadium).

This is a win for everyone: DeBlasio gets to say he rescued a terrible deal of predecessor and turned it into affordable housing. The developers get to rescue one of their projects. NYC gets a stadium deal with the probably the best terms it will EVER get.

Pretty sure all the jets fans drove.

It's easier for me to get to Citi Field than it is Yankee Stadium from White Plains. Same for those in Greenwich, Stamford or anyone East of 287.

From Fairfield or most of Westchester its about 2 hours on public transportation.

this news makes this and the image below more interesting

Kd7R06w.jpg

Pier 40 over everything.

I'm referring to the unlabeled highway ramp which leads to 153rd street about 50 feed north of River Avenue.

That MTA overpass just complicates everything. The MTA controls air rights, so they'd have to purchase those too one would imagine, though I don't see them moving it from where it is.
Zero chance of them tearing that down. It'd be a huge loss, especially since it was just built.

I think the biggest challenge to this site might still be the Mets. Yes they want a stadium there, yes they may need us to get their development done. But how comfortable are they giving in at the negotiation table if the Yankees are sitting on the other side? Wasn't one of the issues with the Queens site originally is that the Mets were trying to charge exorbitant prices for use of their parking lots?

And now the stadium is going to be adjacent to Citi Field, and not just down the street? Mets might want significant control over the venue, or cuts of revenue, or free use of the stadium to host non-baseball events, or similar demands. This could be a very sticky negotiation process.