• Total voters

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Now that we have officially seen Eirik Johansen start a competitive match this season, I'd like to do another poll of Forum users as to who should be our starting keeper...

Reactions: Kjbert
I agree with others that he didn't look considerably more comfortable on ball or with distribution than Saunders in the Cosmos game but I think he showed that he does a lot of the small things better than Saunders. He caught balls in the air rather than punching at them. His positioning was noticeably better than Saunders and when he made a save he held onto it and gave up little to no rebounds.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
didn't seem miles better, but his tall frame and viking top knot are more fun to watch playing keeper, so for that reason I'd play him. But its like saying do you want yellow mustard or deli mustard, doesn't matter much when your eating a shit sandwich.

Would it be cynical of me to say leave Saunder's in for the rest of the season just to keep familiarity? Ideally I'd like to see EJ start more potential even though I think his shot blocking may be worse than Suanders... In reality I think Saunders is going to stay in goal for the rest of the year. I hope we drop both of them this winter and sign someone goalies that are worth our time.

Would it be cynical of me to say leave Saunder's in for the rest of the season just to keep familiarity? Ideally I'd like to see EJ start more potential even though I think his shot blocking may be worse than Suanders... In reality I think Saunders is going to stay in goal for the rest of the year. I hope we drop both of them this winter and sign someone goalies that are worth our time.
Based on nothing I have a hunch that Saunders will start in goal for our MLS matches and Johansen was told he'd have the Open Cup matches. In a way you could tell he was super pissed when he threw the ball out of our net at Fordham because he'd played well the whole match, couldn't possibly have stopped that goal, and knew the team had lost him his chance of ever playing again this season most likely.

Just as (repeatedly) with Saunders, our defense has let the team down. Barring Saunders getting benched for a few games (hey, it's happened to Joe Hart a time or two, for example) or an injury we may not see Johansen again, same as last year.

From what we have seen it looks like Eirik is the better goalkeeper or atleast as good as Saunders - you could make arguments for Saunders such as his shot stopping ability.
For me then i see no reason why Eirik should not be given a chance to start a few games and see how it goes.
Eirik is 23 whilst Saunders is 35, i can't see Saunders improving and hes only probably got a few more years left whilst we could make Eirik #1 now and potentially have the best GK in the MLS in a few years.

Based on nothing I have a hunch that Saunders will start in goal for our MLS matches and Johansen was told he'd have the Open Cup matches. In a way you could tell he was super pissed when he threw the ball out of our net at Fordham because he'd played well the whole match, couldn't possibly have stopped that goal, and knew the team had lost him his chance of ever playing again this season most likely.

Just as (repeatedly) with Saunders, our defense has let the team down. Barring Saunders getting benched for a few games (hey, it's happened to Joe Hart a time or two, for example) or an injury we may not see Johansen again, same as last year.

I said last year when we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (last 2 or three games of the season) why not start Eirik in goal?

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23
I said last year when we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (last 2 or three games of the season) why not start Eirik in goal?
I would have no problem with that at all. Maybe he's our 10-year keeper. Hard to say without seeing him play a few times.

From what we have seen it looks like Eirik is the better goalkeeper or atleast as good as Saunders - you could make arguments for Saunders such as his shot stopping ability.
For me then i see no reason why Eirik should not be given a chance to start a few games and see how it goes.
Eirik is 23 whilst Saunders is 35, i can't see Saunders improving and hes only probably got a few more years left whilst we could make Eirik #1 now and potentially have the best GK in the MLS in a few years.
I'm all for giving Eirik a shot, but....ummmmmm wut

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I'm all for giving Eirik a shot, but....ummmmmm wut
He is only 23 which is very young for a GK, what i mean is that if we give him a chance and he takes it - look at the Portland GK then he has the potential to be one of the best GK's in the mls in a few years assuming that he continues to improve.

He is only 23 which is very young for a GK, what i mean is that if we give him a chance and he takes it - look at the Portland GK then he has the potential to be one of the best GK's in the mls in a few years assuming that he continues to improve.

I'm in the start Eirik camp, but the only proof we have he can be a starter for years is his age. Nothing from his play has shown us flashes he could be the BEST in the MLS. Could he be better then Saunders this year? You bet! Could he be a good keeper for years to come? Maybe, but we don't want any int'l keepers on our roster. 1. It takes away an int'l slot from an outfield player. 2. It would be take away an int'l slot in any USOC match we may need to start him. (I'm hoping we win a few matches in one some future year and play our starters toward the later rounds). Best thing to do is say goodbye to both Lurch and Saunders after this season. Bring in 2 young American keepers to compete with Rawls and let the best man win. Anyone know if a GA keeper is coming up in the draft?

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
I'm in the start Eirik camp, but the only proof we have he can be a starter for years is his age. Nothing from his play has shown us flashes he could be the BEST in the MLS. Could he be better then Saunders this year? You bet! Could he be a good keeper for years to come? Maybe, but we don't want any int'l keepers on our roster. 1. It takes away an int'l slot from an outfield player. 2. It would be take away an int'l slot in any USOC match we may need to start him. (I'm hoping we win a few matches in one some future year and play our starters toward the later rounds). Best thing to do is say goodbye to both Lurch and Saunders after this season. Bring in 2 young American keepers to compete with Rawls and let the best man win. Anyone know if a GA keeper is coming up in the draft?
Cody Cropper is a Free Agent and we should jump on that. American, free transfer, youth NT player.... no-brainer really.

Cody Cropper is a Free Agent and we should jump on that. American, free transfer, youth NT player.... no-brainer really.

The Twitterati believe he is headed home to play for Minnesota United or whatever MLS allows them to call themselves