TFC Postmatch

And? Our first team can beat any team in the league. They won that game until Vieira lost it for them. Who out of those starters gets replaced besides TMac when Wallace comes back and RJ who never should have started in place of White? The biggest complaint on the boards from the minority has been about Pirlo not playing, and he wouldn't have outplayed any of Ring, Hererra, or Maxi tonight - those guys were golden. TMac was horrible and it'd have been a different game with Wallace or anybody else that can sprint normally and chase down those balls.

I think the demoralizing part is that we were missing Wallace while TOR was missing over half of their A team and they looked like the better squad for most of the game. I'm not ready to give up hope maybe it is as simple as adding Wallace but it did not look that way tonight.

All career, brother. He is what he is. And that is a dog shit player.

White is better. The end.

This was trying to reply to SteveV re RJ. Who is a terrible player.
What is new acronym for U-cubed. I think it should be UTI. Useless and Totally Incompetent.

What shape did we have when white came in?

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Food for thought: we scored 2 goals.

1 was an amazing solo play from villa

The second was a very fortunate bounce for maxi moralez.

Is that the signs of a team that's firing on all cylinders that can make a deep playoff run?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Also, I think I'm only growing more confident that 3-4-2-1 is the next 4-2-3-1. In the sense that it will probably be the dominant formation within the next 2 or 3 years.

I don't think it's absolutely a better system, but I think it's a superior system based on the way players are being conditioned to play physically, tactically and technically, as well as the fact that most teams are set-up in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-4-1 (aka 4-3-3) nowadays.

I don't know what comes after 3-4-2-1. I don't think we'll know until enough teams start trying to beat it and start learning from one another and combining what works.

1. That was not a pk for Toronto.
2. I can't wait until VAR.
3. The ref didn't call a pk for us early in the first half.

4. Holy fuck that ref.
RJ Allen had his ass on the ground and tugged the jersey of the offensive player, and you think a VAR official says "that's so obviously not a foul I'm reversing the call on the field."
How?

Also, I think I'm only growing more confident that 3-4-2-1 is the next 4-2-3-1. In the sense that it will probably be the dominant formation within the next 2 or 3 years.

I don't think it's absolutely a better system, but I think it's a superior system based on the way players are being conditioned to play physically, tactically and technically, as well as the fact that most teams are set-up in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-4-1 (aka 4-3-3) nowadays.

I don't know what comes after 3-4-2-1. I don't think we'll know until enough teams start trying to beat it and start learning from one another and combining what works.
To be a little constructive in the aftermath of a thoroughly demoralizing loss-draw, what do we need for a really competitive 3-4-2-1? I'd argue:
  • We need depth up front. We are fucked without Villa – although that's the case even in our current system (Villa, Okoli)
  • We have strong depth in the CAM positions (Harrison, Maxi, Wallace, Herrera, Camargo, Lewis, Tommy)
  • We are pretty solid at the CDM positions (Ring, Herrera, Pirlo, Sands)
  • We are good at LWB (Wallace, Mata, Sweat).
  • We are weak at RWB (RJ, White, maybe Lewis, please don't waste Harrison there)
  • We are OK at CB (Chanot, Callens, Brillant, Sweat, White, Sands).
In summary, I really hope we are looking for RWB and F depth in this window.

Every formation has it pitfalls, there's no such dominant formation. Hell you could still lose being up a man. It's a matter of personnel and ideologies more than just "oh this formation can't be beat"

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
Food for thought: we scored 2 goals.

1 was an amazing solo play from villa

The second was a very fortunate bounce for maxi moralez.

Is that the signs of a team that's firing on all cylinders that can make a deep playoff run?
Been saying all year that even though we are third we might be benefitting from how poorly the rest of the league has played. We haven't won many games in convincing fashion. Just like last year we might just be pretenders. We lost to a team whose three best players weren't playing and goalie was jumpier than a Parkinson's patient.

Been saying all year that even though we are third we might be benefitting from how poorly the rest of the league has played. We haven't won many games in convincing fashion. Just like last year we might just be pretenders. We lost to a team whose three best players weren't playing and goalie was jumpier than a Parkinson's patient.
Rather we drew but given the way we played it felt like a loss and had there been maybe three more minutes of gametime probably would have lost

I think the demoralizing part is that we were missing Wallace while TOR was missing over half of their A team and they looked like the better squad for most of the game. I'm not ready to give up hope maybe it is a simple as adding Wallace but it did not look that way tonight.
I disagree. They scored a fluky goal - a full volley off a deflected pass, shit happens, and then they bunkered. They could barely break out of their end without losing the ball and we pretty much contained Gio save for the trap/pass to him by RJ. I definitely do not think they looked better than us, and we were getting very good looks on net with the keeper coming up with some key saves (one was Sweat's cracker) and TMac hitting the post from 3feet away.

The only thing I'm worried about with this team, is that PV has not learned how to make the right subs. And I really wonder if he holds grudges, regarding punishment, against players that keep them off the field. Tag in the fact our star draft pick has seen almost no time and our second pick has seen less, and there's something funky with the team management.

I don't know where to begin. I feel that every single time we don't win a game, I'm writing the same things over and over and over again regarding what is wrong with this team...

- First, if we cannot beat TFC at home, with two weeks rest, when TFC is missing Bradley, Altidore, Giovinco (for 50 minutes), Morrow, Cooper, and Ricketts, we have a massive problem.

Onto the referees, always a point of issue in this league...

- The refereeing was so inconsistent. That is 100% a penalty on Moralez. Drew Moor has his back to Moralez and lifts his foot up to impede Moralez's path to the ball. Foul. In the box. Penalty. See below:
- And a second PK call that should have happened. Jack receives the ball and is 1v1 with the goalkeeper. Drew Moor grabs at Harrison, makes contract, but Jack continues. He would have gone down, Gonzalez likely wouldn't have called anything, maybe even give Jack a yellow for simulation. Utter bullshit.
- I do commend the referees for calling TFC's 2nd goal offside. On the replay, a TFC attacker headed the ball to another TFC player that was ahead of the ball. Good call.
- RJ fouled the guy in the box. Honestly, Johnson was closing down the pace I think he has a good probability of making the save.
- Villa was taken down outside the box. You could hear him being hit on the shin. Nothing called. Bullshit. (And the shameful thing is that this wouldn't even be on VAR).
- I can't list all the things that went so poorly tonight for the refs. It was a lot.

Onto our play...
- I don't think I've seen Villa so frustrated all game with the passing towards him. It was pitiful.
- We need to finish better. (I feel like I've said this a dozen times). McNamara, clear in front of goal. Yangel, clear in front of goal. Why is it that we suck or GKs play the best game of their season against us.
- RJ was getting some treatment on his leg on the sideline before the 2nd half started. He played poorly.

Onto Vieira...
- Better players coming on, wrong players coming off. 5-4-1 looked to be the final formation we had. We let TFC own the midfield and possession in the final 10-15 minutes. It was just TFC coming downhill for the final stages of the game.
- I don't know how long CFG's leash on him is, but I saw Medhi at halftime and congratulated him on the Academy position and then asked him, "When are you taking Vieira's job." He replied, "Never."

Some final thoughts...
- We're five points from 1st, four points from 2nd. We're going to be fighting for a 3-4 seed more than a 1-2 seed. So be sure to clear your calendar for that midweek single game elimination match in the playoffs.
- TFC still has not beaten us in the regular season. We're 2-0-4 against them. That is going to change in 11 days.

Last edited:
Ok, time to rail on PV and the subs. This is the second game in a row where he lost the plot trying to protect a lead/tie and got ran off the field because he conceded the midfield. Taking off midfielders to put on "extra" defenders kills your shape, and quite frankly for the last 20 minutes, Toronto practically did what they wanted with their backups.

In the game, it was clear that most of Toronto's danger came from Vazquez in zone 14 distributing and they let him basically do that all night. It got worse when "super" Mikey Lopez came on and went to complete hell when Ethan White came on.

Bring on some fresh legs, run at their back line (screaming for Lewis) or bring on Okoli to save Villa and hold up the ball. If you want to bring on another MF, put Maxi on the wing, but keep his energy on the field.

And finally...you have one of the most technical midfielders of all time sitting on the bench. You want to hold the ball and slow down the game, and you are telling me you'd rather have Mikey Lopez on the field? You're not asking Pirlo to play the 6, he'll have Ring and Herrera behind him. Put him in the game and have him manage it out...and also, if you put some fresh legs up front, Pirlo can drop a dime over the tired D and end the game. It is a disgrace that Andrea Pirlo has found himself behind Mikey effing Lopez on the depth chart. Come on.

Sub 1: Pirlo for Tommy Mac, move Maxi to wing
Sub 2: Lewis for Harrison (or Maxi)
Sub 3: Okoli for Villa. Or sub Okoli for TMac and put Villa on the wing earlier.

Oh, and we have to talk about that egregious Herrera miss in the 82nd minute. Come on son!

So now basically NYCFC needs to win against CHI, at least tie TOR again and beat RBNY to have any success on this homestand. Shield is done, folks. And frankly if PV can't figure out how to manage a game, top 2 seed is gone too.

Ugh that was frustrating on an epic Level and the Nat's winning with an uninspired performance isn't enough to lift my spirits.

We need to find a way to upgrade our fullbacks and I'd love to see the back of Tommy. I know not exactly original thinking around here but it'll keep being said as long as their still on the field costing us points.

Maxi being back on the field and looking mostly sharp was one of he few bright spots. That being said I'd expect us , with Maxi, Ring and Herrera to be able to dominate the midfield against a Toronto B side in ways we really didn't. We looked a little tired which makes no sense coming off a two week break. Herrera also had one of his weakest games overall so far IMO.

Lewis needed to come on. I'd rather throw fresh legs with incredible pace at them than try to bunker in any case but in the case that our defensive subs areas subpar as they are..