The Cut List

Konrad

Registered
Mar 17, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
youtu.be
All right everybody, let's play manager and start deciding who gets the boot after the season ends.

As we all know, as an expansion team we had to pick up a lot of junk to fill out the roster. The good news is that it looks like we finally have a good foundation to work from, but there seems to still be a lot of mediocre/terrible players taking up space that we can use on signing better talent.

Now, as a general guideline there will be two kinds of posts. Fantasy posts and reality posts.

Fantasy post will be the ones like "Lampard and Kries are gone as soon as the final whistle blows", and reality posts (which are the ones I'm really interested in) will be the ones that state things like "(player a) was only signed to a one year contract and his lack of talent, along with his minimal playing time, will mean that he isn't going to be with the team next season". I'm really interested in starting to look at how this team will shape up after our we shake off the hangover of our expansion year.

Also as a side note, who could we pick up using the MLS's new free agency? Could someone make a list of free agents that will be available for next year?

well since that is Renya's job here lets play.

Nemec is as good as sold, Jaiver Callie could be great but can't stay healthy so peace out to J-street. We can get a pretty penny for Ned Gabavoy, I like Kawme the person but is going out the door and last Seba is a baller but might has be only somewhere else he's gone.

I would think Nemec and KWS are likely to be cut, Probably Calle as well.

also want to see Wingert and Grabavoy replaced, think we can do better in the $200k player range.

Total fantasy realm, cut fat frank and get a DP that isn't cursed.

I'm sure some of this won't work due to salary cap and other roster rules, but here would be my best guess as to how to categorize all of the existing guys.

Likely to Return
GK- Saunders
GK - Johnansen
DF - Allen
DF - Iraola
DF - Hernandez
DF- Mena
DF - John (depending on health)
MF - Jacobson
MF - Lampard
MF - Diskerud
MF - McNamara
MF - Pirlo
MF - Poku
F - Villa
F - Mullins
F- Shelton

Players on Loan

Angelino is presumably gone. I suspect they will let Calle go if we aren't committed to him for next year (not sure). I'm sure they'd take Facey back if we could get him. Not sure on Meara.

Swing Factors

Guys who could go either way depending on new players we can add and/or salaries. I suspect some of these guys will be there, but not all. Other than Brandt, who never played, these guys all have been marginalized as the roster has been upgraded and no matter who cyncical one is about Kreis, I don't think the RSL factor, if there ever was one, will matter that much after this year.

DF - Brovsky
DF - Wingert
DF - Brandt
MF - N. Grabavoy
MF - S. Velasquez
MF - M Ballouchy

Likely Gone
DF - Watson-Siriboe
MF - P. Alvarez (since he is an international slot)
F - A. Nemec
F - T. Taylor

I'm sure some of this won't work due to salary cap and other roster rules, but here would be my best guess as to how to categorize all of the existing guys.

Likely to Return
GK- Saunders
GK - Johnansen
DF - Allen
DF - Iraola
DF - Hernandez
DF- Mena
MF - Jacobson
MF - Lampard
MF - Diskerud
MF - McNamara
MF - Pirlo
MF - Poku
F - Villa
F - Mullins
F- Shelton

Players on Loan

Angelino is presumably gone. I suspect they will let Calle go if we aren't committed to him for next year (not sure). I'm sure they'd take Facey back if we could get him. Not sure on Meara.

Swing Factors

Guys who could go either way depending on new players we can add and/or salaries. I suspect some of these guys will be there, but not all. Other than Brandt, who never played, these guys all have been marginalized as the roster has been upgraded and no matter who cyncical one is about Kreis, I don't think the RSL factor, if there ever was one, will matter that much after this year.

DF - Brovsky
DF - Wingert
DF - Brandt
MF - N. Grabavoy
MF - S. Velasquez
MF - M Ballouchy

Likely Gone
DF - Watson-Siriboe
F - A. Nemec
F - T. Taylor

I agree with a lot of what you have here. However a couple of thoughts are:

Ballouchy is cheap and has produced for us he'll stay.
Brandt is a rookie and will probably stay however be loaned out to our affiliate whoever that will be next year.
Meara is a goner he was a 1 year loan from NJRB and he sits the bench. That bitch bleeds Red.
Tony Taylor will absolutely be back he's cheap and he was good before his injury.

Likely to Return
GK- Saunders
GK - Johnansen
DF - Allen
DF - Iraola
DF - Hernandez
DF- Mena
MF - Jacobson
MF - Lampard
MF - Diskerud
MF - McNamara
MF - Pirlo
MF - Poku
F - Villa
F - Mullins
F- Shelton

Players on Loan

Swing Factors

DF - Brovsky
DF - Wingert
DF - Brandt
MF - N. Grabavoy
MF - S. Velasquez
MF - M Ballouchy

Likely Gone
DF - Watson-Siriboe
F - A. Nemec
F - T. Taylor

I'm guessing one of Brovsky/Wingert remains as both of them can play multiple positions and can provide some depth.

Reactions: SayWhat44
On the topic of the new MLS free agency, if I recall correctly it is extremely limited in the new collective bargaining agreement -- a player whose contract is expiring has to be at least 28 years old AND have at least 8 years experience in MLS to qualify as a free agent. I think only 5 to 10 players league wide will qualify this off season and a couple of them (Wingert and Grabavoy) play for us.

I don't know how MLS contracts work and whether a team can straight up cut someone without having to pay the rest of their contract and how it affects the salary however based on international slots and what we know how player contracts I believe the following players will be cut:
- Nemec, 300K and an international slot
- Alvarez, an international slot
- Lord Kwame

Transfers:
- Ryan Maera is our 2nd string keeper and Robles is locked into his position for New Jersey, so we may extend the loan, we may not, who knows.
- Facey is more likely to stay for an additional year rather than Angelino, though both will likely be gone next year.
- Calle has been injury prone and too expensive to keep, also an international slot

I think that's the only guarantees for this team. Beyond that, it's going to be really difficult to see what Reyna/Kreis will be doing.
- Brovsky > Wingert due to salary
- Grabavoy is unlikely leaving because Kreis
- WTF Velasquez?!?!
- Everyone else who hasn't played more than 500 minutes.

In all we may be seeing anywhere from 7-10 spots open up on the roster.

Reactions: SayWhat44
I'd like to see Jeb back. He got better as the year went on. Wingert was just too inconsistent and not quiet athletic enough in my eyes. I think we could find Nemec's skill in a player 1/5 as expensive. Calle can go, Pablo can retire, Ballouchy can go. I'd take a waiver on some young guys with pace than see Pablo take a PK again.

Reactions: BxLio91 and LIblue
I continue to hold out hope that, since Facey isn't a credible center half in England (or at least not in the top two leagues) and didn't look good at fullback, that he'll stay. May be overly optimistic though.

Reactions: BxLio91
I'd like to see Jeb back. He got better as the year went on. Wingert was just too inconsistent and not quiet athletic enough in my eyes. I think we could find Nemec's skill in a player 1/5 as expensive. Calle can go, Pablo can retire, Ballouchy can go. I'd take a waiver on some young guys with pace than see Pablo take a PK again.
Agree except I'd keep Ballouchy and send Grabavoy away.

Nemec, Wingert, Grabavoy, Kwame and Alvarez are definitely on my cut list. A lot of salary tied up in very little production. I don't think we take Meara on for any more time because Johansen seems like a fine backup for now. I don't know about Calle. He's been hurt for most of the season and a $1 mill buyout is a lot for only a few appearances. If NYC2 gets started in the offseason I see Brandt being sent there to get playing time along with TT. And let's just hope Facey decides that NYC is the place for him

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Nemec, Wingert, Grabavoy, Kwame and Alvarez are definitely on my cut list. A lot of salary tied up in very little production. I don't think we take Meara on for any more time because Johansen seems like a fine backup for now. I don't know about Calle. He's been hurt for most of the season and a $1 mill buyout is a lot for only a few appearances. If NYC2 gets started in the offseason I see Brandt being sent there to get playing time along with TT. And let's just hope Facey decides that NYC is the place for him
Agree with your cut list here. Lets just see if Kreis has it in him to cut Grabavoy and Wingert.

Reactions: Vito
Let go of any of the top 10 earners that don't start...

So that would be:
Nemec
Calle (we better not buy)
Wingert
Grabavoy

Throw in Watson-Siriboe and Alvarez.

I am assuming we lose Angelino but I think we will retain Facey.

I honestly would not be surprised if Lampard doesn't play much the rest of the year and retires.

Should be a fun off season.

Reactions: The Toe
Allena and Brovsky are cheap and not going anywhere especially if Angelino leaves. Mena we just got and its and shouldnt go anywhere.

Nemec
Grabavoy
Velasquez
Wingert
Calle (shouldnt buy)
KWS
Brandt
Ballouchy
Alvarez

Manchester City is far from known for putting their youths on the first team. I have a good feeling that Facey and Angelino will be here again unless they are sold.

Agree with your cut list here. Lets just see if Kreis has it in him to cut Grabavoy and Wingert.

I doubt he cuts both, maybe one of the two. I think he values their "locker room presence" too much. I bet Wingert stays around for another year on the bench and then if Kries stays on he retires and joins the coaching staff.

Reactions: Gavin23