The Cut List

PLAYERS WHO SHOULD BE CUT
  1. Josh Saunders (terrible positioning at times lacks the IQ to be a good GK)
  2. Pablo Alvarez (age and doesn't contribute)
  3. Ned Grabavoy (age and doesn't do much when subbed in)
  4. Jason Hernandez (age and a terrible CB)
  5. Frank Lampard (age and isn't fit enough, he's a waste of space)
Obviously some are unrealistic but thats who definitely should be let go.

Some other players on the bench need to get some playing time like Mullins, Meara, Taylor, Siriboe and Brandt

Calle isn't that bad (I don't know the cost to buy him but if he's cheap we should consider it)

I'm shocked Saunders starts every game, his positioning is shocking at times and we have two young GK on the bench who can learn a lot more

Calle isn't that bad (I don't know the cost to buy him but if he's cheap we should consider it)

I'm shocked Saunders starts every game, his positioning is shocking at times and we have two young GK on the bench who can learn a lot more

Calle isn't bad but he is too expensive.

Reactions: MagnusPax
My input:

Keep: Allen (cheap), Ballouchy (cheap), Brandt (young+ extremely cheap), Brovsky (not crazy expensive), Mix (Yes, he's actually good), Facey (you don't need him Man City), Iraola (expect more next year), McNamara (good+cheap), Mena (shows potential), Mullins (why has he not played more?), Pirlo (duh), Poku (duh x2), Saunders (cheap backup at worst), Shelton (young +potential+cheap), Taylor (cheap), Velasquez (cheap, I think? If not cut), Villa (duh x3).

Will be gone but I'd love to keep: Angelino (way too good to stay, sadly)

Will be back but I'd cut/sell : Lampard (he doesn't fit with our team+ injuries+ plus everything with his signing), Jacobson (he'd be a good backup, but he's fairly expensive for a backup, right?), Johansen (nothing against him, but we can use the international spot better), John (a lot of money for a player who's a big ?).

Cut while Kreis is on vacation, then don't accept his calls for a week: Grabavoy (way too expensive for role), Wingert (way to expensive for role)

Cut/ Sell: Alvarez (old), Calle (just don't buy), Hernandez (old+expensive), Meara (horrible loan), Nemec (300 K that doesn't even see the bench), KWS (I could see keeping him for his cheapness alone).

PLAYERS WHO SHOULD BE CUT
  1. Josh Saunders (terrible positioning at times lacks the IQ to be a good GK)
  2. Pablo Alvarez (age and doesn't contribute)
  3. Ned Grabavoy (age and doesn't do much when subbed in)
  4. Jason Hernandez (age and a terrible CB)
  5. Frank Lampard (age and isn't fit enough, he's a waste of space)
Obviously some are unrealistic but thats who definitely should be let go.

Some other players on the bench need to get some playing time like Mullins, Meara, Taylor, Siriboe and Brandt
A lot of what you're saying just isn't right. Taylor is out for the season, not on the bench, and not playing until next year at least. Brandt just had surgery and is out for at least another month. Not on the bench. Meara is a single season loan. He's our backup, not our primary. Johansen, who you didn't list, did play a game in goal for us and looked decent, but it was only one game and we lost badly (not really his fault but still). We all loved him because he was tall, but that's pretty much all we know. Watson-Siriboe has gotten some playing time but hasn't really been good when he has.

As for Lampard, yeah, we haven't gotten our money's worth but that's because of injury and not fitness. (I'm ignoring the Man City "loan" or whatever is was.) I fully expect that next season will be a very different experience with Lampard. Or at least I hope so. No reason it won't be though based on how he played with Man City the past season and Chelsea the year before that. Not saying he's 27 anymore but he can still play.

Can hardly blame Saunders for the LA loss. He had no defense in front of him, basically. Which has sort of been true the whole season, really. Not saying he's our keeper for the ages but he's certainly our keeper for the season.

Mullins I maybe agree with. I'd like to see Mullins and Villa as paired strikers maybe. But then who do you sit to do that? And I don't necessarily disagree about Alvarez, Grabavoy, and Hernandez. At this point though I'd think that should get tabled until after the season. Right now we need to try to hang on if possible and sneak into the playoffs. Once we're eliminated we can experiment but until that happens we have to try with our best current players.

My input:

Keep: Allen (cheap), Ballouchy (cheap), Brandt (young+ extremely cheap), Brovsky (not crazy expensive), Mix (Yes, he's actually good), Facey (you don't need him Man City), Iraola (expect more next year), McNamara (good+cheap), Mena (shows potential), Mullins (why has he not played more?), Pirlo (duh), Poku (duh x2), Saunders (cheap backup at worst), Shelton (young +potential+cheap), Taylor (cheap), Velasquez (cheap, I think? If not cut), Villa (duh x3).

Will be gone but I'd love to keep: Angelino (way too good to stay, sadly)

Will be back but I'd cut/sell : Lampard (he doesn't fit with our team+ injuries+ plus everything with his signing), Jacobson (he'd be a good backup, but he's fairly expensive for a backup, right?), Johansen (nothing against him, but we can use the international spot better), John (a lot of money for a player who's a big ?).

Cut while Kreis is on vacation, then don't accept his calls for a week: Grabavoy (way too expensive for role), Wingert (way to expensive for role)

Cut/ Sell: Alvarez (old), Calle (just don't buy), Hernandez (old+expensive), Meara (horrible loan), Nemec (300 K that doesn't even see the bench), KWS (I could see keeping him for his cheapness alone).

I agree with this 100%.

Need salary information to figure this out properly.

Lampard 6,000k
Villa 5,600k
Pirlo 2,300k
Diskerud 750k
Nemec 333k
Calle 225k
Wingert 215k
Grabavoy 215k
Iraola 200k
Mena 200k
Hernandez 185k
Jacobson 150k
Brovksy 129k
Facey 120k
Mullins 110k
Saunders 90k
Shelton 88k
Taylor 84k
Ballouchy 83k
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Meara 73k
McNamara 71k
Poku 63k
Alvarez 63k
Allen 60k
Angelino 60k
Velasquez 60k
Brandt 50k
Johansen 50k

Reactions: FootyLovin
Villa, Pirlo and Lampard aren't going anywhere so we have those 3.

Mix has worked his ass off all over the field, but hasn't produced as much as anyone thought he would. I think that has to do with his positioning so he's staying unless we got a huge offer from someone.

Poku should get a raise for everything he's done for us so far this year. He's someone we need to keep at all costs.

Facey would be a great CB for us going forward so if we can keep him here id happily be on board with that.

Mena hasn't played enough to see his full potential so I think next year we should see improvement from him.

Calle isn't worth the million dollar buyout fee so I can't see us taking him back. He's been hurt for most of the year.

Shelton and Brandt are good young talent that we need to develop so they'll be around. Plus they're cheap

Nemec is as good as gone. $300k is a waste on a player that doesn't even see the 18.

Allen and Brovsky are versatile on the backline and are cheap so I think we keep them. Iraola will be the starting RB so one of them will most likely be the starter at LB

Grabavoy, Wingert, KWS and Alvarez should all be gone next year. They don't provide anything to us

Last edited:
Alvarez, Nemec and Calle will probably be targets #1-3 mostly because of production/cost and their tying up international slots. After that it's the under performers on the bench who are costing 200k plus.

The biggest problem will be unloading Lampard, who is clearly underperforming and hampering the ability of this club to sign a needed contributing 3rd DP.

Who should go:

Lampard 6,000k (485k)
Nemec 333k
Calle 225k
Wingert 215k
Grabavoy 215k
Hernandez 185k
Jacobson 150k
Saunders 90k
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Alvarez 63k
Velasquez 60k

That is 2.1M - more than half your salary cap to get some better players. Biggest holes to fill are GK, starting CB, CDM, and a winger or two. Could easily find some suitable talent for that amount of $.

Angelino is also most likely gone so add him to the list, although he should stay.

Reactions: NYCFC_MLS_FAN
Not really sure how many cuts there are knowing Kreis and management this season, but Nemec has to be as close to a lock as there is to be let go.

Who should go:

Lampard 6,000k (485k)
Nemec 333k
Calle 225k
Wingert 215k
Grabavoy 215k
Hernandez 185k
Jacobson 150k
Saunders 90k
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Alvarez 63k
Velasquez 60k

That is 2.1M - more than half your salary cap to get some better players. Biggest holes to fill are GK, starting CB, CDM, and a winger or two. Could easily find some suitable talent for that amount of $.

Angelino is also most likely gone so add him to the list, although he should stay.
This isn't entirely accurate. You have to remember that Lampard's cap hit this year is half of 485k. And Pirlo's current hit is half of 485k. So cutting Lampard, with Pirlo's increase in hit, would have a YOY net effect of $0 of cap space.

I believe we will also have higher salary hits for Mena and Iraola next year, so those will need to factor in a bit.

Additionally, if cutting Lampard, I don't know how a striker is not the biggest priority. Would need to get someone else to play up top with Villa to allow Poku to slide in at CAM.

Villa, Pirlo and Lampard aren't going anywhere so we have those 3.

Mix has worked his ass off all over the field, but hasn't produced as much as anyone thought he would. I think that has to do with his positioning so he's staying unless we got a huge offer from someone.

Poku should get a raise for everything he's done for us so far this year. He's someone we need to keep at all costs.

Facey would be a great CB for us going forward so if we can keep him here id happily be on board with that.

Mena hasn't played enough to see his full potential so I think next year we should see improvement from him.

Calle isn't worth the million dollar buyout fee so I can't see us taking him back. He's been hurt for most of the year.

Shelton and Brandt are good young talent that we need to develop so they'll be around. Plus they're cheap

Nemec is as good as gone. $300k is a waste on a player that doesn't even see the 18.

Allen and Brovsky are versatile on the backline and are cheap so I think we keep them. Iraola will be the starting RB so one of them will most likely be the starter at LB

Grabavoy, Wingert, KWS and Allen should all be gone next year. They don't provide anything to us
Not to be nitpicky here, but did you mean Alvarez should be gone? The sentence you wrote above mentioned keeping Allen, just wanted to make sure.

Here are my tiers:

The Lone Ranger:
Villa has really earned his DP money this year. Really only big move that worked out.
Villa 5,600k

Please Don't Leave: Obviously a lot of this depends on the depth of MCFC, but one or both staying for another year. If they aren't going to get consistent minutes with the mother club, keep them in MLS CFG!
Facey 120k
Angelino 60k

Give Me Another Year Coach!: These guys have not performed up to expectations but I think we should give them another year. Iraola and Mena just need some time together, but if they can't figure out some chemistry by next year we should look else where. Hopefully Mix can see some time at holding midfielder next Pirlo.
Pirlo 2,300k
Diskerud 750k
Iraola 200k
Mena 200k

Young, Cheap w/ Upside (& Injured): These are our young guys that we keep that have shown some upside and or are coming back from injuries. Poku and T-Mac are great cheap starters. Allen I think is a great young, cheap option for depth at right back. Mullins has shown some promise behind Villa. It will be interesting to see how well Shelton, Taylor, and John do coming back from their injuries.
Mullins 110k
Shelton 88k
Taylor 84k
McNamara 71k
Poku 63k
Allen 60k
George John ?

Cheap & Experienced: If we want to upgrade a keeper, Saunders is cheap enough to keep as a backup. Ballouchy is a nice cheap depth option that could play multiple midfield spots while conveniently not being Ned Grabavoy.
Saunders 90k
Ballouchy 83k

Loan Me Out, Coach!: Don't really see these young guys getting playing time next year. Both of them rotted on the bench all season when they could have been getting USL playing time.
Brandt 50k
Johansen 50k

Should Be Cut, But Won't: I think that we will see all four of these guys on the roster next year and they will make us cry a little bit every game. Every Poku fan is going to spend a super sad 2016 campaign watching our hero on the bench in favor of Super Frank. I think that Wingert, Brovksy, Jacobson are too expensive to be the backups they should be but they are all Kreiss BFFs so we will see them again next year with bigger than needed roles.
Lampard 6,000k
Wingert 215k
Brovksy 129k
Jacobson 150k

Underperforming For Salary:
Calle and Hernandez are replacement level MLSers. Hopefully, we can upgrade to cheaper, younger and/or better options for next year.
Calle 225k
Hernandez 185k

GTFO: Everyone one this list sucks except Meara (end of loan). We should be super pissed if any them are on the roster next season.
Nemec 333k
Grabavoy 215k
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Meara 73k
Alvarez 63k

Mr. Irrelevant: Meh
Velasquez 60k

Reactions: Gavin23 and canchon
Additionally, if cutting Lampard, I don't know how a striker is not the biggest priority. Would need to get someone else to play up top with Villa to allow Poku to slide in at CAM.

I was thinking you have Mullins and Shelton as your second strikers next to Villa (play the youngins and build talent). Of course, if you can get a serious upgrade at striker, you do it.

Reactions: SoupInNYC