The Treble

Taurus

Starting XI
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Oct 8, 2015
Live on Long Island work in the CITY
Most European clubs consider the treble as their league title, league cup and European cup.

What would most of you consider as the MLS treble given:
CCL
MLS Cup
Supporter's Shield
US Open cup

I would say it's CCL, MLS Cup and US Open.

Could always make an argument for the domestic treble:
MLS Cup
SS
US Open cup

Reactions: adam
League Championship, National Championship, Confederation Championship: MLS Cup, US Open Cup, CCL

Reactions: NYCFCfan
The problem with including the CCL is you have to have qualified 2 years ago. The MLS teams in CCL now are there because of what they did in the league or Open Cup in 2014. Unlike Europe, you really have to be good for 3 straight years to even have a shot at this treble. Even with the most expansive definition, which would be to win any 3 of the 4 competitions in one year, I expect we won't see an MLS treble in the next 20 years.

The problem with including the CCL is you have to have qualified 2 years ago. The MLS teams in CCL now are there because of what they did in the league or Open Cup in 2014. Unlike Europe, you really have to be good for 3 straight years to even have a shot at this treble. Even with the most expansive definition, which would be to win any 3 of the 4 competitions in one year, I expect we won't see an MLS treble in the next 20 years.
I think a domestic treble is certainly possible under 20 years. If CCL changes their schedule to start in January as proposed, we can also see a traditional treble in less than 20.

The domestic treble (MLS Cup, SS, US Open Cup) is the one to chase now, and those are the three most important. I think the CCL is growing in importance, and it will probably pass the US Open Cup or the Supporters' Shield, especially if they can get the calendar right.

Last edited: