Timeline

I'm not sure, but you sound like someone who already knew all this and just have an ax to grind.

This is the way MLS is and has been for many years. If CFG and the Yankees didn't understand it, its their fault for not doing their due diligence. However I suspect that they are more interested in being involved with MLS and the growth of American/Canadian pro soccer and see this as not only the best way to do it but also a way to be in charge of the NYC market, the largest in the US.

Hello Magnus

I did know that the MLS was a franchise, this is because in the UK the press reported that Beckham was buying an MLS Franchise at the end of his career, and that CFG had bought NYCFC and the word Franchise was mentioned in many reports.

However until now I had not really thought about what the franchise entailed. I did not know how the league (and subsequently the franchise) worked, and am learning a lot about not just American "Soccer" but also American sport in general.

I am sure that everyone who has bought a franchise has done the due diligence and understand the "whole" far better than I.

I am still putting together the sum of the parts !!!

I understand how franchises work, in a previous life about 20 years ago part of my job involved selling franchises.
Most Franchises (at least the ones worth having, there is much dross out there) involve an initial purchase, a standard (upkeep of brand image) and licence fees. Many franchises have a territory, and often customers contracts are held by the franchising company not the franchisee.

Being a "Franchise" helped make sense of no relegation.
Being a Franchise I can see the league holding the sponsorship revenues and re investing those.

I can see how pro soccer is developing stateside, and can see why people would want a part of the action.

I have no axe to grind. Soccer has "stalled" several times in its growth in the States, the MLS has done its job in promoting pro soccer and bringing it to the forefront so so far it has worked.
But owning a franchise is not like owning a club, at the end of the day a some point the franchise is handed back to the league. (What hand back arrangements are I don't know does the league buy the rights back ?) or in the worst case scenario the Franchiser can repossess the franchise from the franchisee)

In the big world of global football and finance, is a franchise system going to be sustainable in years to come, or are owners (the current franchisees) going to want more.

Personally, based upon my current knowledge,I am (tries to find the right word here) unsure whether it will in the long term

Everything I have put above, is my understanding of the situation not necessarily fact, if I am correct it is pure fluke, if I am not then tell me where my understanding is "wooly"

Please do not take the next paragraph as being from someone with an axe to grind, this was over 20 years ago, the world has moved on, I have lost "touch" with the franchise industry, and even then not every franchise was terrible. The fact I worked in the industry, probably makes me question the detail a little more than most, and I naturally look at that from the point of view of a small franchisee. This high finance world is probably a completely different level to where I was dealing.

As I said, in a previous life I sold franchises as part of my franchise management role, this is one of the reasons I work for myself now and am not a franchisee. (Different world, maybe not the worlds greatest franchisor), but some of the "situations" I had to deal with (as a manager of franchisees ) has put me off putting my money into franchises of any kind.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
how about the money you make off of that asset over the years you own him?

If I buy a Franchise for 30 Million, hold on to it for 5 years, then sell it for 40 million and keep 27 of it, what's the problem.

It's like any depreciating asset.

By the way, the guys we are talking about here won't be bought for 30 Million. These guys will probably cost, all in from training, clothing, feeding and paying, 1 Million. And that's a real stretch. Using Deandre Yedlin as the best example.

how about the money you make off of that asset over the years you own him?

If I buy a Franchise for 30 Million, hold on to it for 5 years, then sell it for 40 million and keep 27 of it, what's the problem.

It's like any depreciating asset.

By the way, the guys we are talking about here won't be bought for 30 Million. These guys will probably cost, all in from training, clothing, feeding and paying, 1 Million. And that's a real stretch. Using Deandre Yedlin as the best example.

If I buy a car for $10000, keep it for 5 years and sell it for $2000. No problem

If I buy a house for $1000000 keep it for 5 years and sell it for $200000 there is a problem.

If I buy a business for $30 mill, invest $ 10 mill and sell it for $27 mill, having put my time effort, and capital in there is a major problem.
If the business was giving me the returns I invested for the sale price would have gone up.

I thought this was a timeline thread. Why are we talking about fantasy/FIFA14 player values and how much money the multi-billionaire owners are going to make/lose?
I did say that, this is way off topic, and a new thread should perhaps be created if any more to say about franchise v ownership..... Back on topic please !!!

If you own a business and you don't make any money off of it while you own it and then sell it at a loss...I would say you are a terrible businessman.

A guy you buy for $30 Million at Age 20 isn't worth $30 Million when you sell him 10 years later. Think of all the mileage a guy could have.

Back to the topic...

Based on the timeline MagnusPax posted, NYCFC won't have a full team until January. So if preseason camp begins in late January that means the team will only have about a month to train together and mesh. That sounds like no time at all. We should probably expect them to play poorly the first month or so of the season.

Amazing how much they still need to get done before the season.

End of January until early March isn't much time I agree. And this is probably a big reason expansion sides often fail. However it can be done. Seattle Sounders, albeit with some loose minor league connections, was able to compete and make the playoffs in year 1. So it can be done.

My guess is that
Marquee players apart who will be shipped off to Australia to help our sister team get established......

All signings will train in Manchester until February.
This will include players signed in advance of draft and any Man City EDS players that are earmarked to join you.

Those players signed in the draft will join them for a couple of weeks to get up to speed.

The team as it develops will play several friendlies against other teams in England. Many behind closed doors.

Sometime during early - Mid Feb the team will go out to the USA and get familiar with the new daily routines, and Yankee stadium (Marquee players will have joined up now)

Some friendlies in New York ...

Then you hit the ground running....

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Great except this is America and Major League Soccer. We can then Designated Players (DPs) not Marquee players. Thats a Aussie thing.

Also I don't think you will see any friendlies in NYC at Yankees in the middle of the winter. Like I have said multiple times on multiple threads (hello wall) NYCFC will train and be involved in preseason friendlies in South Carolina and/or Florida or Arizona; just like almost all MLS teams.

There was a time when a New York winter would not have stopped a football match being played.

Not one I was at (I was only 9 months old) but dad was.... The famous ballet on ice is still talked about today by the older guys.... enjoy City V Tottenham 9th December 1967....

Reactions: BlueWarrior
I'd love to see a friendly at Yankee Stadium right before the season begins. Maybe against a top Euro team. Napoli would be nice. ;)

I'd love to see a friendly at Yankee Stadium right before the season begins. Maybe against a top Euro team. Napoli would be nice. ;)
yndkeestadiusnow.JPG

Reactions: BxLio91
Sure NYCFC's 1st season is special, but no one else does this. From Seattle to Colorado to Chicago to NYRB & NE Revs; none of the northern MLS teams really use their stadiums before March 1st.

In fact I would be surprised if NYCFC play a home game before the end of March.

This is for another thread but good money is the first game is in Orlando or LA in 2015.

Sure NYCFC's 1st season is special, but no one else does this. From Seattle to Colorado to Chicago to NYRB & NE Revs; none of the northern MLS teams really use their stadiums before March 1st.

In fact I would be surprised if NYCFC play a home game before the end of March.

This is for another thread but good money is the first game is in Orlando or LA in 2015.

I too could be wrong, but this year I think as a new team they might.
What better way to drum up local & future core support interest.

You could be right, but if it were me I would be looking for max exposure.

There is no competition for coverage in New York in early March. Football season is over, the Knicks suck, no one cares about the Nets, Devils or Islanders. Decent void until the Yankees start up in April.