USMNT Talk

If it was GGG or PV, I’ll take GGG. Everyone here knows how many times GGG out managed PV every time w played Columbus.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's a good day for MLS players that GGG is back.

We'll be seeing more domestic based players in the next world cup team, whether they should be there or not.
Is there any backing for this? Was there really any MLS selection bias in the last WC?

For less consequential matches, it makes sense to give shots to young MLS players because national team call ups and appearances automatically raises a players profile and increases their chances of moving to a better league, so that is to be expected. The MLS bias narrative gets established from these matches by our low knowledge internet supporters base, but the thing about all these call ups, players tended to either not prove any potential and were no longer in the picture, or they moved to Europe.

Did GGG ever give an unjustified start of an MLS player in a major game over a clearly better and fully fit Euro based player?

I think the tin foil hat people would point to Ferreira making the World Cup squad ahead of Pepi, never mind that they had been teammates one year earlier.

Giving time off the bench to Shaq Moore instead of Joe Scally is a mystery that we'd all agree makes zero sense, but you don't reject a coach because you disagree with his choice of backup RB.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
If it was GGG or PV, I’ll take GGG. Everyone here knows how many times GGG out managed PV every time w played Columbus.
I saw this somewhere else too. I know we got smacked in the first game of that playoff series, but that involved a red card, and I don't remember any big tactical problems the other times they faced off. I think the series was even between the two, or maybe PV had a one game edge.

I saw this somewhere else too. I know we got smacked in the first game of that playoff series, but that involved a red card, and I don't remember any big tactical problems the other times they faced off. I think the series was even between the two, or maybe PV had a one game edge.

Regular season H2H was 2 NYC wins, 1 Columbus win, and 2 ties. This during years when NYC earned 21 more points than Columbus did. GGG won the only playoff matchup which was the most important head to head they had. No I don't credit NYC or PV with scoring more goals during the second 90 minutes of a 180 minute contest which they lost. Yes the red card was massive. It is what it is. Plus PV teams repeatedly collapsed once anything bad happened including twice conceding killer goals already down at 90+ in first legs.

Berhalter was 5-4 in MLS playoff competitions. Vieira 0-2. Berhalter twice won 2 playoff rounds in a year.
It's not dispositive at all, but if that's all I had to go on and my only two choices I'd take Berhalter.

Overall, I still think a change every 4 years is better. Probably more so with the drama, even if I mostly blame not-Berhalter for that. Other than that I'm OK with GB.

Last edited:
Regular season H2H was 2 NYC wins, 1 Columbus win, and 2 ties. This during years when NYC earned 21 more points than Columbus did. GGG won the only playoff matchup which was the most important head to head they had. No I don't credit NYC or PV with scoring more goals during the second 90 minutes of a 180 minute contest which they lost. Yes the red card was massive. It is what it is. Plus PV teams repeatedly collapsed once anything bad happened including twice conceding killer goals already down at 90+ in first legs.

Berhalter was 5-4 in MLS playoff competitions. Vieira 0-2. Berhalter twice won 2 playoff rounds in a year.
It's not dispositive at all, but if that's all I had to go on and my only two choices I'd take Berhalter.

Overall, I still think a change every 4 years is better. Probably more so with the drama, even if I mostly blame not-Berhalter for that. Other than that I'm OK with GB.
Also NYC had the more talented club over that time frame. If I remember correctly (could be blending seasons), Columbus’ best player was the lesser Kamara. NYC has Villa, a young strapping Jack Harrison, Ring in his prime, Herrera, etc…

Gio played tonight like the Canadians stole his car and killed his dog.
im back keanu reeves GIF

I never saw what happened. I heard speculation it's a high ankle sprain. Poor kid is hurt so often I never assume the other side did anything when it's him.
Both Canada and Mexico playing so dirty. I really didn’t like the Canadian players trying to push our players subbing out off the field so they’d walk off quicker. Usually expect that BS more from the Concacaf minnows. It’s weird to have everyone else the underdogs taking cheap shots at us. Refs need to adjust and start calling cards when they do. Give us the respect we’ve earned. USMNT, the North American Brazil.

Reactions: mgarbowski
There was a period at the end of the second half when Canada's petulant fouling was as bad as Mexico's.

Between the 40' and the end of the half, Canada committed 5 fouls - many of them late - and that doesn't include Eustaquio pushing Reyna in the back after a pass and sending him careening into another Canadian. That injured Reyna and wasn't even called a foul.

It was a little better in the 2nd half until Aaronson was pushed leaving the pitch. After that, Canada were taking out their frustrations on our players. I said to my son that the ref needed to start showing cards or this might get out of hand, he promptly carded Turner and Pulisic for time wasting.

Is there any backing for this? Was there really any MLS selection bias in the last WC?

For less consequential matches, it makes sense to give shots to young MLS players because national team call ups and appearances automatically raises a players profile and increases their chances of moving to a better league, so that is to be expected. The MLS bias narrative gets established from these matches by our low knowledge internet supporters base, but the thing about all these call ups, players tended to either not prove any potential and were no longer in the picture, or they moved to Europe.

Did GGG ever give an unjustified start of an MLS player in a major game over a clearly better and fully fit Euro based player?
*Coughs in John Brooks*

Reactions: adam