Vancouver Postgame

I'm in 205. Wanted to share the best quote I heard all game... Two guys with their respective sons, maybe 10 years old or so, were right in front of us (was fun to see how excited the kids were). One dad had gone to get drinks and was just coming back. Kid turns around and starts yelling: "Daddy! Daddy! It's one-nil cuz Saunders made a mistake!" Love that kid.

Also loved that our sections (205-207) sarcastically cheered Saunders after every touch for the entire first half, and much of the second.

I love my new seats and that section. Right next to "the coop" (is that what we're calling it?), much more fun (and a better view) than last year's section, and had some great fans over there yesterday. Taught some people, including those little kids, that yes, we are saying "chicken bucket".

Still having a hard time letting go of that extra time Montreal corner. It haunts my dreams. Would've had us right on playoff pace.

As it is, need to get a couple more results out of the rest of May... Beat DC, get at least 1 point away out of Portland/Toronto combined, then beat Red Bulls and Orlando at home to get us to 20 points after 14 matches.

2016 Results 9 Matches.png

This quote right here to me is very discouraging and its about time we gave up, MOSTLY me and a few others who have been beating the Saunders on the bench for good drum for over a year now. Let's face it, this is the third time I heard PV say that Saunders is an important part of this team. He is right, he is very important and has been a major contributor in NYCFC losing major points so far this year.

We will never see EJ this year barring injuries. Saunders seems like a great teammate, great guy etc yada yada yada, but he doesn't help you on the pitch. End of story.
PV always talks good about his players to build confidence I wouldn't take much into what he said. He isn't dumb he knows how shit Josh is. I tend to think they don't trust Eriks decision making yet and don't want to ruin his development.

I'm in 205. Wanted to share the best quote I heard all game... Two guys with their respective sons, maybe 10 years old or so, were right in front of us (was fun to see how excited the kids were). One dad had gone to get drinks and was just coming back. Kid turns around and starts yelling: "Daddy! Daddy! It's one-nil cuz Saunders made a mistake!" Love that kid.

Also loved that our sections (205-207) sarcastically cheered Saunders after every touch for the entire first half, and much of the second.

I love my new seats and that section. Right next to "the coop" (is that what we're calling it?), much more fun (and a better view) than last year's section, and had some great fans over there yesterday. Taught some people, including those little kids, that yes, we are saying "chicken bucket".

I sat in 207 yesterday and had a great time. It's a terrific atmosphere. At halftime, I asked the concession lady if she liked the chanting. She said "it's great. It sounds like they're saying 'Chicken Bucket'." When I told her "that's exactly what they're chanting," she got excited and told all her co-workers.

I'm definitely looking forward to sitting there again.

Not sure if anyone saw this but on TV after the game they showed moments of coaching. Obviously Vierra is a very positive only kind of guy and that's his style of coaching. But what was interesting to me is they showed a clip of him singling out Villa to stay positive and stop having an attitude towards his teammates. So to all those annoyed with Villa pouting, it's not being ignored by the big man

Not sure if anyone saw this but on TV after the game they showed moments of coaching. Obviously Vierra is a very positive only kind of guy and that's his style of coaching. But what was interesting to me is they showed a clip of him singling out Villa to stay positive and stop having an attitude towards his teammates. So to all those annoyed with Villa pouting, it's not being ignored by the big man
Seeing as villa can carry us all by himself, He should be able to pout all he wants

It's amazing how much more cheerful the morning after is following a good win.

I have probably watched a replay of the Villa volley about 20 times already. Hopefully this can get him over his mini-slump of shooting off target. Both goals were very well placed shots.

Thought Mikey Lopez played really well, hoping PV brings Mix back in but for Pirlo instead.

I thought Mikey was pretty good late in the game defensively, but man, I wish it was Mix on the end of that Villa back heel flick that sprung Mikey on the counter attack in the first half.

This quote right here to me is very discouraging ... Let's face it, this is the third time I heard PV say that Saunders is an important part of this team. ... We will never see EJ this year barring injuries.
Overall, this team has been better and more fun to watch this year. We have given up points and are still in decent position. Most of PV's decisions seem to make a lot of sense. So either:
  1. PV is smart in other places but dumb regarding GKs. OR
  2. PV sees limitations in Lurch that give him even greater concern than Saunders.
With everything else PV has shown, I tend to trust him. And AHABS (as has already been said) by SayWhat44 SayWhat44 PV isn't talking to you or the reporter in the interview. He's talking to his team. As he should be. Until the moment he is ready to sit Saunders every single word out of his mouth has to be about why Saunders is the #1 GK.

The Bronx Cheer was outdone by the "we're fucking shit" chant from 237 after the Saunders' own goal. That was a double low-light...thankfully we only went up from there.
I don't like this cheer. It's pathetic, crass and lacks any creativity. The "we're fucking shit" chant actually comes from a tradition, but the real chant is:

We always lose away
We always lose at home
You're nothing special
We lose every week

That's clever. Our supporters could learn to class themselves up a bit. Same with the "Fuck Chicago" (or insert other team) cheers. There are such better options.

Deep Dish Sucks
Poutine Sucks
Etc.

roxfontaine this might be your next project.

It's not consistent with him sitting high talent, low performance players though. He sat pirlo and mix for whatever reasons. Saunders has been the single worst player on the team all year. Baffling.

Reactions: Ulrich
I don't like this cheer. It's pathetic, crass and lacks any creativity. The "we're fucking shit" chant actually comes from a tradition, but the real chant is:

We always lose away
We always lose at home
You're nothing special
We lose every week

That's clever. Our supporters could learn to class themselves up a bit. Same with the "Fuck Chicago" (or insert other team) cheers. There are such better options.

Deep Dish Sucks
Poutine Sucks
Etc.

roxfontaine this might be your next project.
New Yorkers are crass, I think that expecting high brow in the Bronx is probably not going to work for you.

To be fair to PV, criticising Saunders won't help the situation and i don't think fans getting on his back helps either. This isnt a case of a player not working hard, its clear he is trying his best and if he got criticism from his manager it will only make him more nervous and more likely to make a mistake. Its not like he doesnt realise he is playing shit atm.

Regardless, both PV and JK have seen a ton of both keepers and are sticking with Josh. Sometimes the devil you know is safer than the devil you don't know. There's gotta be something about Eirik that's causing him stuck to the bench. If I'm venturing a guess, I think EJ has a hard time getting down for low shots, even though he has good reach. This was evident in last year's shootout vs. the Cosmos. I also wonder if he's having a hard time thinking on his feet with regards to leaving his line. The only example I really have of this is the preseason game where he came out and missed the ball and gave up the late winner vs. Cincy. He might just not be as good as Josh is in many aspects. Thankfully he's young.

It's not consistent with him sitting high talent, low performance players though. He sat pirlo and mix for whatever reasons. Saunders has been the single worst player on the team all year. Baffling.
I think it is consistent. I think he sits high talent, low performance when he perceives low effort. That fits the Pirlo/Mix benchings. The prevailing belief here is Saunders is low talent, low performance, but certainly high effort. That only gets benched if you have an alternative with better talent. Clearly PV doesn't believe he has that.

Reactions: 21Architect