Vegas Baby! Lv In Talks With Mls To Bring Expansion Club.

Homer

Registered
May 8, 2014
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...g-expansion-club-city-build-soccer-specific-s

What do you guys think?

Personally I would love it for Vegas to get the last expansion slot. Though it is considered a small metro area, it's still a world renowned city that CAN attract world class players. With all do respect to Sacramento and San Antonio, I can't see high profile players clamoring to play there as opposed to Vegas.

Also the sheer novelty of being the only major league with a Las Vegas franchise is sure to be a good draw as well.

Reactions: MagnusPax
I think Sacramento is a better candidate than Vegas than the last spot; but since I think that Chivas should be moved and Miami abandoned, I think Vegas could be a great candidate. Being the only major game in town would probably result in a strong fan showing.

Since I'm 100$ pro gambling (whether that's total chance like roulette or more skillful like poker) and its a major entertainment capital that's good enough reasons for MLS to endorse it. Also there's less competitors as unlike other cities there's currently no NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA franchise. I'm not a Las Vegas historian but the gigantic growth started in the mid 20th century so they were somewhat behind other places with established sporting franchises. Also their chances have been damaged because of anti-gambling clowns. According to Wikipedia the NFL in particular have expressed opposition to sports gambling and have expressed the least interest amongst major sporting institutions.

I'm of the belief MLS is getting bigger and bigger so it makes sense to make the first move where Vegas is concerned.

I just have a hard time envisioning the people in Vegas coming out to support a soccer team, or any sport that is not boxing

I think Sacramento is a better candidate than Vegas than the last spot; but since I think that Chivas should be moved and Miami abandoned, I think Vegas could be a great candidate. Being the only major game in town would probably result in a strong fan showing.
Their fans are getting too entitled. BTW can anyone tell me when Orlando became the face of organic grassroots expansion? Their fans keep on hashtagging #BuiltNotBought while throwing shots at us. It's cute.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Their fans are getting too entitled. BTW can anyone tell me when Orlando became the face of organic grassroots expansion? Their fans keep on hashtagging #BuiltNotBought while throwing shots at us. It's cute.

Maybe around the time they beat up that little kid at a Rowdies game.

In seriousness, they've had good support and that support is the key to getting a franchise in a small market city. From now on, most of the glitzy big markets are taken (save maybe Minneapolis, since I can't remember its size at the moment). So fan support is going to be key to these cities pitches to MLS.

Vegas sounds great on paper, but . . .

1. playing in 110 degree heat (yes, it's a dry heat / low humidity, but it's still 110 degrees)?

2. is there enough Vegas locals to support a club every week? tourists come to LV to gamble and not necessarily for an outdoor sporting event.

3. i'm guessing they'd use artificial turf, right? it'd be pretty expensive to keep a soccer field watered all year long in the middle of a desert.

LOL are they even allowed to goto OC games? Aren't they still being punished for beating a kid?

So many things in this thread to address.

First, Vegas is indeed a interesting idea. There are actually 2, yes 2 multi-million deals on the table for MLS to come to the Sin City. Theres the one Homer mentioned and then there is the new one: http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/350-million-soccer-plan-floated
And this new one is lead by the owners of BWin, yes that BWin.

I'm not sure of the 2nd stadium proposal, but the first one is enclosed, with massive air-conditioning involved. So no problems with summer heat (which is horrid).

As for Sacramento, I agree they have been doing great. But its true, great international players will be interested in playing in Vegas, LA and NYC but not Sacramento. But hey it works for SLC, Columbus and Kansas City. If Sacramento gets a big money investor and a stadium plan, they are as welcome as anyone else.

And on the note, I want to conclude by saying its only good for David Beckham and Miami MLS to succeed. Miami is a large, latin-influenced, international city that loves soccer. NYCFC wants more teams like Miami and Beckham involved, not less.

I do agree of some of the pro Vegas points. Their biggest sporting franchise is the Las Vegas 51s(at least in my opinion) which is a minor league baseball team, so the lack of professional sports at the highest level should attract fans. I see this as more of a pro than a con.

I do agree of some of the pro Vegas points. Their biggest sporting franchise is the Las Vegas 51s(at least in my opinion) which is a minor league baseball team, so the lack of professional sports at the highest level should attract fans. I see this as more of a pro than a con.

Well if it does not at least MLS might be first with the guts to try. There's lesser cities than Vegas that have been allocated spots they are worthy of being involved.

Their entire city is bought not built. So feed 'em fish.

Vegas is balls hot though. Good prep for Qatar.

Their entire city is bought not built. So feed 'em fish.

Vegas is balls hot though. Good prep for Qatar.
Bs25UA2CAAA4mmA.png:large

airconditioning.jpg

Looks a little dull though if any place should have an extravagant, unique stadium its Las Vegas.

Should be a team in Northern California. Soccer does best with young, educated people. The greater San Fran area should have a squad. My two cents. Need an ownership group obviously. But putting a squad in San Fran, Berkeley, Palo Alto would involve having a team amongst the right type of fan base

Sacramento has shown that they can support soccer. San Francisco has not.

But this is a thread about Vegas. If they have the money, the ownership and the stadium (all which SF and SAC do not) then they move ahead of the line.

But what happens from Atlanta gets 7k to their brand new stadium?

I think having an established fan base is as important as the ownership group. Need to marry the two.