What Teams/leagues Do You Follow That Are Not Mls Or Top 5 European Leagues?

jaycrewz

Registered
Mar 2, 2015
Just trying to see if any other Americans watch any interesting football outside of MLS or the typical top 5 European leagues. That means, no Italian, English, German, Spanish, or French soccer. I think we all know a ton of us watch top 5 Euro football and MLS. But lets talk a little about other leagues.

Tell me what other leagues you do watch, and how you became interested in them. Two leagues I have watched a lot of are the A-League in Australia, and the J-League in Japan.

How did I start watching Australian soccer? Fox Soccer Channel of course. In the last couple years that the channel existed they showed a lot of A-League soccer on the weekends. I liked that their was good skill on the field, as well as competitive balance throughout the league. I also liked that the league was young, but thriving, along with good support from fans. They have playoffs at the end of the season too. So the league has several things that reminded me of our league.

How did I start watching Japanese football? Well I used to stay up very late on the weekends...usually as late as 5am. And I LOVE soccer. Sometimes Ill even put a game on in the background while I work or study. I cant get enough of it. If the product on the field is good, and the league is competitive and/or the teams have something to really play for...then thats football that I want to watch. I use streaming websites to watch all my soccer, and one late night I needed something to watch.

The only soccer being played live between 12am and 5am is Asian soccer. And the site I was using had a string of Japanese streams up. I clicked on them and was amazed by the atmosphere. Stadiums filled to capacity with fans banging loud drumming and chanting in unison. If anyone has ever watched Japanese baseball, you know what Im talking about. Japanese love their sports. And the streams actually had English announcers...so Im guessing there may be quite a number of expats in Japan who watch the league.

Anyways, like the A-League, the J-League is very competitive and has a good product on field. They have foreign players as well, but there's a limit on how many can be on a team. They do this to ensure that Japanese soccer players are valued and given the chance to play and grow the league (as well as the national team) Japanese baseball does this as well. Japan likes to protect their own. Also, the league is a single table with no playoffs.

Both good leagues. Do share what other soccer you watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23
In addition to the 6 national leagues you mention above - MLS, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 - I also follow FIFA World Cups, UEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champions League, Liga MX, Ascenso MX and NASL.

In addition to the 6 national leagues you mention above - MLS, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 - I also follow FIFA World Cups, UEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champions League, Liga MX, Ascenso MX and NASL.
How can someone follow NASL? Are they ever on TV or streamed online? Ive never seen their games on the streaming site I use.

Also, is the fan atmosphere decent for its level? Im not expecting MLS type crowds of course because I know how fans can be about non-1st tier leagues. I guess Id expect the decent suburban crowds seen in some minor league baseball games.

Reactions: NYCFC 12th man
How can someone follow NASL? Are they ever on TV or streamed online? Ive never seen their games on the streaming site I use.

Also, is the fan atmosphere decent for its level? Im not expecting MLS type crowds of course because I know how fans can be about non-1st tier leagues. I guess Id expect the decent suburban crowds seen in some minor league baseball games.

You described it. Ill go to hofstra for games and watch streams online. Thats it really.

Actually the fan atmosphere has been excellent at the games I've been to. I find the fans more engaged throughout the game compared to MLS games. This surprised me too; I wasn't expecting it. I think the security are less controlling compared to the MLS games so they allow a lot of festive, in-stadium activities. Also, Borough Boys and Cinco Puntos deserve a lot of credit. The players effort is 110%. It's really refreshing to see a legend like Raul really work hard, be a team player, not be full of himself and give his all (By the way, I have the same impression about David Villa so that is great). When Raul works so hard, everyone on the team follows suit. Lastly but just as important, Gio has the team playing real well and fun to watch. All of these factors make for a fantastic stadium atmosphere even if the team needs a much better stadium.

Gavin23 would you agree?

You wouldn't necessarily see or feel this on TV but it's part of the in stadium experience. I believe the games are shown on ESPN3 and One World Sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23
Actually the fan atmosphere has been excellent at the games I've been to. I find the fans more engaged throughout the game compared to MLS games. This surprised me too; I wasn't expecting it. I think the security are less controlling compared to the MLS games so they allow a lot of festive, in-stadium activities. Also, Borough Boys and Cinco Puntos deserve a lot of credit. The players effort is 110%. It's really refreshing to see a legend like Raul really work hard, be a team player, not be full of himself and give his all (By the way, I have the same impression about David Villa so that is great). When Raul works so hard, everyone on the team follows suit. Lastly but just as important, Gio has the team playing real well and fun to watch. All of these factors make for a fantastic stadium atmosphere even if the team needs a much better stadium.

Gavin23 would you agree?

You wouldn't necessarily see or feel this on TV but it's part of the in stadium experience. I believe the games are shown on ESPN3 and One World Sports.

Couldnt agree more. We need to meet up for a game but ofc keep the NYCFC identity on the DL. I honestly hope NASL and the Cosmos can succeed and grow, for the good of the sport in the US and NY area. And the comparison between Raul and Villa are spot on. I respect both immensely.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I spend a wild amount of time keeping up with Scottish football. Mom is from outside Glasgow, born into a Celtic supporting family. Early morning streams, fan sites and forums, whatever I can get my hands on. Technology has made it great. A huge leap from when my Grandpa was subscribing year round to Fox Sports World just for a handful of Old Firm matches.

Moving this to the correct forum.

What's the site you use to stream J-League games? Legal streams?

Just as a reminder, if the answer is "illegal streams", please don't link them or name the site, or we'll have to remove the reference from your post (or your whole post if necessary).

The only league outside of those top 5 that I follow is Liga MX.

I'm a fan of Clúb América.

Next year I will be following the second division (Liga Ascenso MX) of Mexican soccer because the city where I am from recently acquired a team from Zapotecas (Mineros de Zapotecas) that plays in the second division.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaycrewz
League 1 (relegated now back to League 2) team Crawley FC. by support I follow them online and listen to a game here and there via the radio.

A-League when it's on TV and SPL (Celtic FC), I go to The Parlour on upper West Side when I can or via CelticTV online

For the past 4 years or so I've been following Jagiellonia Bialystok from the Polish Ekstraklasa. Of course it goes without saying it wasn't top shelf action, but it was an entertaining watch early Saturday/Sunday mornings or early afternoons for mid-week matches.

This year they'e doing rather well. They sit 3rd in the table with three matches to go. They're four points behind the first place club and a slot in UCL next season. I don't think they'll get it, but they are four points clear of the 4th place club. If Jaga takes care of business they should be able to hold on for a spot in the Europa League.

My luck being my luck means I haven't been able to follow them as closely as I've wanted to this season. Their home page message board went through a make over and they eliminated the "English Forum". There was also a stream site that carried their matches, but it disappeared a few weeks into the 2014-15 season. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Done a lot of traveling and try to keep an eye on teams I've see live so Ajax and Riverplate are on my soft spot list but both are a pretty big pain in the ass to follow from the states at least in terms of live coverage.

Might get myself in trouble since we've had two people profess allegiance to Celtic already on the thread but I'm rather partial to Rangers.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
I was going to point out that Fifa just came out recently on the side of Rangers being the same club but today probably isn't a good day to be bragging Fifa's on my side lol.