Why Did You Become A Nycfc Fan?

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Feel free to share and discuss.
I was brought here via MCFC and stayed because if NYCFC's social team. The job they do interacting with fans on social media is incredible. Won me over for sure.

I go way back. Hell, I can remember as a kid breaking my fathers chops to take me up to Yankee Stadium 1 to see the New York Generals.

Anyway, back in the day I followed the Cosmos to the bitter end........for one reason or another I just couldn't take to the Metro Stars/Red Bulls.......waited for MLS to get a team in the city..........and that's that.

I'm grateful MCFC made it possible, but they really had no impact one way or another. As I've said before I'm a die hard Yankees/Giants fan and if the Red Sox, Mets, Jets, Cowboys or any combination of each brought the team here I'd still support NYCFC. ;)

I have had a serious passion for the game since I was a kid just before MLS started. I followed the Revs from the beginning but never really had much passion for them, despite being a sth for a few years. My second passion has always been baseball and have been a Yankee fan for life.
So the combination of a seemingly ambitious club coming to New York City, plus having the Yankees involved made it so easy for me to come aboard. I support MCFC by default now because of this, but overall don't really care much about them.

I first became interested in soccer when I was about 13. My first job was in 8th grade working in Doss Sports, which is now Soccer Sport Supply in Manhattan. It was on my way home from school, and one day I walked in and asked for a job and to my surprise they gave me one! I knew nothing about the sport but it seemed interesting and kind of exotic to work there and learn what to me was a "foreign" sport at that time. It certainly planted a seed of curiosity.

I had always hoped that after the 94 Cup, soccer would take off here in the states and I would have a team to latch onto in New York. I never caught onto the Metrostars and Red Bulls move to Jersey was a non starter for me (I'm a 5th generation New Yorker, so there!).

Live sports in the city has always been a passion for me. Whether being at the Stadium, in the Garden yelling at the Rangers, even a trip to Shea here and there, being a fan in New York is a beautiful thing!
But something strange has begun to happen in the stadiums and arenas I grew up in and loved.
They have become too sterile for me.

The blue seats in the Garden are gone along with now prohibited 'foul' language. Yankee Stadium (which I have season tix) is breaking my heart in that the atmosphere is reflective of it's shopping mall interior. During the last Red Sox series, I was standing with my son clapping with a 2 strike count, in the top of the ninth. I was yelled at to 'sit down because I can't see'.....by a Red Sox fan...in the upper deck.

That brings me to NYCFC. This is a chance for me to be part of a team in a city I love, in a sport that encourages it's fans to be passionate, New York passionate! As a matter of fact, you want to be a supporter? You CAN'T sit or be quiet!
How freaking awesome is that?
New Yorkers need to realize that this sport and specifically this team is exactly what lets you be what you are...a LOUD, passionate, fanatical New York (or wherever you are from for that matter) sports fan.

I grew up on soccer and when I moved to NYC, it sucked because I didn't have a team I could identify with, go to games and be a part of as a fan.
I didn't hate EDNJ nor really supported them. If I remembered they were playing, I'd want them to be successful since they were the closest thing. But that never translated into me being a "fan", I've never watched a full game and I def never went to watch a game.
I was out of the country for 1.5 years and my friend told me about NYCFC and it was a no brainer. It was time that a relevant club based itself in the city and not just used its name to promote an energy drink. It was a fresh start and I was always fascinated by the fact that a lot of the Euro clubs that I watch were founded in the 1800s and I always wondered how it would be to be there from the beginning so here I am.
I can't wait to take my kids one day to our own stadium and for them to be proud that they were born NYCFC fans.

As a recent move back to new yorker I was psyched to have a truly local team to back. In Baltimore I was a loud member of the Bohemians army for their minor minor minor developmental league team. So yeah pretty much once I head the slightest about this I was on board.

A number of reasons. The most important one is locality. They are my home team.

The fact that I am able to watch this team grow from it's infancy only makes the team that much more important to me.

I became a legit soccer fan probably only four years ago. I've always watched every match of a world cup and US qualifiers, but I didn't become a fan until the EPL season after the world cup. I figured I'd become a Red Bulls fan. Coincided with the new stadium, Henry, etc... I just never took to them. I remember being disappointed by RBNY that year and never once making it to the stadium. They weren't really for me.

Once I knew NY2 was coming... I jumped on board. I wanted to be around from the beginning. I'm a diehard Yankees fan, but it almost doesn't count. I'm not a diehard any other fan whatsoever and I kinda hate it. I don't live and die by team success/failure. I usually follow players that I like mostly. I don't know if its a product of my job covering sports since I was 16 or what, but I've never cared enough about teams.

That's why I became an American Outlaw. We're not dominant in soccer (obviously) and I can't think of anything I love more than being an American (yup, that's the right wing in me), so it felt okay being a diehard because its not like the olympics where its front running. It's loving something so much even when you expect to lose. I cried uncontrollably at the bar when we lost to Ghana.

I love that feeling and I can't wait to lose horribly with NYCFC and I can't wait for the feeling of winning with NYCFC. It's what being a fanatic is about. Passion is big in my life. I'm passionate about my job, my relationships, etc... I am passionate about NYCFC.

I became a legit soccer fan probably only four years ago. I've always watched every match of a world cup and US qualifiers, but I didn't become a fan until the EPL season after the world cup. I figured I'd become a Red Bulls fan. Coincided with the new stadium, Henry, etc... I just never took to them. I remember being disappointed by RBNY that year and never once making it to the stadium. They weren't really for me.

Once I knew NY2 was coming... I jumped on board. I wanted to be around from the beginning. I'm a diehard Yankees fan, but it almost doesn't count. I'm not a diehard any other fan whatsoever and I kinda hate it. I don't live and die by team success/failure. I usually follow players that I like mostly. I don't know if its a product of my job covering sports since I was 16 or what, but I've never cared enough about teams.

That's why I became an American Outlaw. We're not dominant in soccer (obviously) and I can't think of anything I love more than being an American (yup, that's the right wing in me), so it felt okay being a diehard because its not like the olympics where its front running. It's loving something so much even when you expect to lose. I cried uncontrollably at the bar when we lost to Ghana.

I love that feeling and I can't wait to lose horribly with NYCFC and I can't wait for the feeling of winning with NYCFC. It's what being a fanatic is about. Passion is big in my life. I'm passionate about my job, my relationships, etc... I am passionate about NYCFC.
This was beautiful man.

The Premier League got me hooked on the game, and I can't stand the Red Bulls, from the shirt on up. Looking forward to watching this team grow and prosper, and yeah, I love the name, the logo and this site. I love to walk along the street in Manhattan and see promotions for NYCFC on bus stops, subway stations, etc. If I wasn't already on board I think those sightings would get me interested.
I do follow many other teams including Yankees, Islanders, Giants and Man United.

Been following the rumours since 2005(?) when the then Barcelona CEO Ferran Soriano(!) had plans for a New York team playing in MLS, later he was looking at Florida yes..but it started with NY, and funnily enough it ends with NY as well for Soriano, now as CEO of another club but It´s hardly any doubts how it came to be NY :D

Reactions: einwindir

Nice post Johnny Boy

I live in Philadelphia--"home" of the Union. The problem is that the stadium is about 30 miles outside of the city. They are only 5 years old, but I never felt any connection with the start-up of the team or supporters. As Chance said at the meeting earlier today (thank you for the stream!) that this is a chance to be in at the very beginning of a franchise. I know I don't live there, but the fact that the stadium will be within city limits is a much better deal. As a matter of fact, I could be persuaded to make the trek to PPL Park just to support NYCFC! I will also try to make some matches in the city and be in the home crowd. Besides--I've often been know not to go with the normal flow. So, I'd be happy to support NYC just because it will make others around here a bit crazy!

I also came to love the game later in life. At some point in the 2010 World Cup, I finally viewed enough soccer that it began making sense. As it was, MLS still wasn't on my radar. By this point, I guess at least rumors already circulated about our team.

Given that I'm a Yankees and Giants man, I could never willfully choose the Mets/Jets combo when there was the promise of a real local team.

I have nothing for MCFC. I appreciate the resources and potential growth to the league the association might provide, but I'd just as soon we have no relation to them. Adopted #scouseforlife

Nonetheless, like the club, I wasn't born here, but I've made this city my home by choice. My city, My team. Fuck you if that's not real enough for you.

Ps: And fuck me for forgetting about the meeting today. Damn damn damn.

I have followed MLS since 2006. I tried to get on board with NYRB but they never grabbed me. NYCFC has grabbed me. As for the project and the city way and whatnot. It doesn't mean much to me. The point is I have a local team that I feel like I can support now. Who is paying the bills is inconsequential for the most part. Although an involved owner is preferable *cough* Kraft *cough*

Reactions: Across the Pond