Wingert Officially Waived

Despite his faults, Wingert played hard. Should get another chance in MLS somewhere, just at a lower salary to justify a non-starting role.

Do we have any former RSL players left? Crazy how Kreis, Grabavoy, Velasquez, Wingert, and KWS are all gone after just one year. What a failure.

This epitomizes the 180 degree vision that NYCFC management had/has with Kreis.

Reactions: The Toe and adam
Does this mean his salary does not count in our cap?
Depends on his contract:
"Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the club salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on Semi-Guaranteed Contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a Semi-Guaranteed Contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will continue to count against the team’s salary budget. Any settlement amount will be charged to the club’s salary budget. "
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations
These are the 2015 rules as 2016 rules aren't posted yet, but I doubt this changed much or at all.

Does this mean his salary does not count in our cap?
Correct. We can terminate one contract per year I believe. Best case another team picks him up off waivers which will allow us more options to shed salary in the future if need be

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Despite his faults, Wingert played hard. Should get another chance in MLS somewhere, just at a lower salary to justify a non-starting role.

Do we have any former RSL players left? Crazy how Kreis, Grabavoy, Velasquez, Wingert, and KWS are all gone after just one year. What a failure.

what a failure? have some realistic expectations. the majority of the roster was formed through an MLS expansion draft, by necessity (obviously). what sort of quality could realistically be expected?

We still have Saunders, but his days may be numbered too. Atleast Wingert was better than Grabavoy for what he was worth. Too bad he has less time to get on a new team as Grabavoy because it is closer to the beginning of the season. Maybe RBNJ want him to replace Miazga.;)

We probably tried to trade him (for international spots), before putting him on waivers. That being said, where are we getting those extra international spots now?

We probably tried to trade him (for international spots), before putting him on waivers. That being said, where are we getting those extra international spots now?

since not every team needs them, probably won't be difficult to come by. wingert has a decently significant contract IIRC, not totally surprised there were no takers on his current ticket. that being said, i expect him to get work relatively quickly once he clears.

what a failure? have some realistic expectations. the majority of the roster was formed through an MLS expansion draft, by necessity (obviously). what sort of quality could realistically be expected?

Woah, of course I appreciate the context. Overall, we performed about exactly where I expected.

What I meant by this statement is that of all our acquisitions last year, the ones who have been cut were the former RSL group. In other words, the specific targeting of RSL castoffs was a failure, relative to the rest of the acquisitions. Mullins, Taylor, Hernandez, Ballouchy, and McNamara all came out of the expansion draft as well.

Ballouchy is RSL as well. I think there was some logic to bringing them in year 1 and phased them out as we were able to pick up better players. Overall, we fared much better imho than OC did imho in the draft.

There is also some talk of getting rid of the expansion draft and giving new teams some more allocation money to handle transfer fees which would have avoided the need for the RSL clusterfuck.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan