2016 Jersey Thread

here's some more information behind the design:

www.nycfc.com/post/2016/02/10/new-york-city-fc-2016-secondary-jersey-reveal-fans-get-first-glimpse

It's worth noting:

each kit typically takes close to 2 years and, for that reason, the next design is almost immediately begun after the new design is launched. For New York City FC, the inaugural season’s kits offered a challenge for Walker’s team of designers because they had a shorter time window to design (three kits in two years).

Reactions: adam
The explanation for the energy waves does actually match the theme PV repeatedly has been presenting since he arrived. Namely that the city has an energy and chaos that he wants embraced by the players and reflected in our style of play.

Reactions: Paul
It looks a lot better than I thought it would and the video is very, very good.

The radial crest, which does work well in some contexts, might be the worst part of it. It is just too busy, with too many elements and tiny text. I kind of like how the circles integrate some sky blue but it all breaks down when they hit the crest. It also feels a little funny that they don't continue onto the sleeves or back. Not cookie cutter, that's for sure.

It's fine. Not particularly good but cleaner than the raggedy shit the leaked photos made it appear. More than onions, it evokes concentric waves in water.
concentric-waves.jpg
Pretty tenuous connection, and less than inspiring design, but not hideous.

Reactions: Ulrich and Vallos
Not a big fan of it, probably won't buy it, but it isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Maybe those crappy leaks helped my expectations.

And again, as many have pointed out, that video was pretty damn cool.

It looks a lot more like the current USA Away shirt than I thought it would. The circles kind of match the gradient.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Just awful. Embarrassing, actually. And it took these clowns 2 years to design this garbage?

Oh well. Hopefully the next one is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BxLio91 and adam